Squa Tront series

Started by 50Cent #II (1st print), February 26, 2008, 05:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

50Cent #II (1st print)

Issue #11 supposedly contains R. Crumb art.

50Cent #II (1st print)

Anyone know which March or April issue of National Lampoon has R. Crumb work in it?

trunch59

Quote from: 50Cent #II (1st print) on February 27, 2008, 01:47:21 AM
Anyone know which March or April issue of National Lampoon has R. Crumb work in it?

What year of NatLamp are you referring to here? There was a parody of Crumb in the "Is Nothing Sacred?" issue from January 1972, drawn by Randall Enos. Randall has an amusing website at http://www.randallenos.com/. Crumb himself thought this parody was "okay", but said that they should have let HIM draw it. Then there was another issue with a parody of the cover of Cheap Thrills and that was drawn by Christopher Browne. Christopher has since inherited the art chores on his late father's comic strip Hagar The Horrible. Then there was a parody of Zap in NatLamp's Very Large Book Of Comical Funnies in which Ted Richards took on Mr. Natural, Dave Sheridan did excellent parodies of Robert Williams, Moscoso and Rick Griffin while Spain and S.Clay Wilson satirized themselves in a strip called "The Checker Trashman" and Willy Murphy did a great job on the Freak Bros. So this Zap parody was an "inside job" so to speak, since the whole thing was drawn by prominent UG artists, as was the case with Bijou #8. Unlike the Bijou, however, "SAP COSMICS NO NO." featured VERY precise renditions of the artists being satirized, which I thought was quite an impressive feat. I've never run into an issue of NatLamp that had real R. Crumb work in it. But I haven't seen every issue either. If you could give me a year in addition to the months that you listed, I could research this further.
As for Squa Tront, I went over to my shelf where they are stored and saw that #11 was the only issue I was missing. It's an easy one to find though. There. More information than you probably wanted to know. :01_wtf: :01_wtf: :01_wtf:

wpbooks

Was it the parody of missing children on milk cartons?  Or something like that....I have a copy of that parody, and I think it was produced for something else but ended up in an issue of NatLamp, but I can't remember the whole story...I can't tell you which issue it is though you might try "Mark's Very Large National Lampoon" site and query there!

50Cent #II (1st print)

I came across a Nation Lampoon special issue today that has Spain, Shelton and some other in the back of it.  Can remember the issue, but the pic. on the cover shows a girl in a museum looking at cartoon art and she's wearing cut off daisy duke jean shorts.

wpbooks

That's the Very Large Book Of Comical Funnies, as mentioned by the poster above, that has the great parody of Zap #0.