Robert Ronnie Branaman

Started by 50Cent #II (1st print), June 17, 2008, 12:19:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

50Cent #II (1st print)

Anyone ever see a pic. of "Robert Ronnie Branaman" (1963) printed by Plymell, #1700 in JK?  I've asked Plymell and he's got no recollection of it.

dr_s

Hey, I actually need that one. (Should I care?)

Reverend

Shame on both of you for not searching before posting. There's been one on Abe for a very long time, and for the bargain basement price of $75.00. Here's the seller's pic:

50Cent #II (1st print)

Thanks Rev.  Maybe I can get him to sign it with my The Last Times "Final Star Edition" since he lives near me.

By the way, were you being sarcastic with the "Bargain Basement Price" statement?

Reverend

50Cent #II (1st print)

Thanks!

Do you own a copy already, Rev?

dr_s

Well the copy on Abe is gone. However, I don;t think I would have paid the price.

50Cent #II (1st print)

By the way, here's an abe coupon code that expires today for 10% off up to $10.
6TIMEFLIES

Reverend

Actually, I don't own a copy of it. I was tempted by the one on Abe for awhile now, but I've been focusing my spending on British stuff.

50Cent #II (1st print)

Here's just a little info. regarding "Bob" Branaman.

He's how Plymell and Donahue met.

Plymell had printed Robert Ronnie Branaman (1963) and they were friends.  A few years later, Donahue wanted to print his own tabloid featuring artists and the first issue would feature an artist he admired that painted and drew while on LSD, before most heard of LSD.  He found Branaman who was also living in San Francisco.  Branaman introduced Donahue to Plymell, who gave him some advice about printing a tabliod, as he was printing The Last Times then (September? 1967).  Donahue had Momma-Daddie featuring Branaman's art printed, but it was destroyed (not before Donahue grabbed 6 or 7 copies of it).  Donahue then suggested to Plymell they print a comic book, Plymell shows Donahue the Yarrowstalks #2 "Head Comix" page that he had "lifted" for The Last Times #1.  They try to contact Crumb but can't locate him.  Coincidently the following month of October, Donahue is introduced to Crumb who happened to be living in San Francisco for about 9 months, by "Mimi" (a friend of Robert's wife, Dana) at a party.  Robert is looking for someone to print his comic book, which Donahue agrees to immediately.  Crumb finishes drawing the first issue the following month of November (you all should know about Zap Comix #0 and the art being finished in October and sent to Brian Zahn of Yarrowstalks who then went to India for 2 years, he's the one that actually suggested to Crumb to draw a comic book after the success of his art in Yarrowstalks #1, 2, 3).  Plymell and Donahue print Zap Comix #1 over approx. a couple weeks in February.  It's finished being bound in Robert and Dana's apartment on 25 February 1968.

50Cent #II (1st print)

Here's some update info. I just received after sending the pic. of Robert Ronnie Branaman to Plymell.
"Yeah, I remember that before Robert moved to Big Sur. He's living with his family in his '52 ('49?) Chevy and hanging with Billy Jharmark at the Batman Gallery on the Fillmore. Dion Wright came to S.F. and sought him out. This was way before the Haight. Don't know how many printed, but not over 500. cp"

50Cent #II (1st print)

Quote from: Reverend on June 17, 2008, 12:08:08 PM
Actually, I don't own a copy of it. I was tempted by the one on Abe for awhile now, but I've been focusing my spending on British stuff.

I was surprised that there was one on Abe as I searched Google and it didn't show up.  I don't think $75 is bad for what could be the very first Underground Comix ever printed and coincidently printed by Plymell.  Since it's from 1963, it's unknown which came first, it or Das Kampf by Bode (May 1963), but even if it's the 2nd Ug, it's still probably the 1st one bound and it came out the year before Adventures of Jesus.  In my opinion this one is a special one.  Are there any other in JK that are from 1963?  I'm looking forward to receiving it and will post more scans when it arrives.

Thanks again.

Reverend

I was going to say that $75 for something like that, 45 years old and between 500-1,000 printed, is a damn good deal. I'm really surprised you wouldn't pay the $75, Arnie.

50Cent #II (1st print)

I'm sure he wouldn't admit he'd pay that until he owned a copy.  But what would he sell it for? :icon_scratch:

By the way, were was the reference to 1,000 copies?

dr_s

$550 in vg. The most I ever paid for a mini was $200 from Peter Kuper for the Crumb Mini/