Robert Ronnie Branaman

Started by 50Cent #II (1st print), June 17, 2008, 12:19:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

50Cent #II (1st print)

Quote from: dr_s on June 17, 2008, 02:37:14 PM
$550 in vg. The most I ever paid for a mini was $200 from Peter Kuper for the Crumb Mini/

I think it's condition is being graded from a book seller, not a comic seller.  If so, then a VG in book grade is about a Fine or better in Comics. (A Fine is Near Mint if I understand correctly and Near Fine is = VF)

Here's what I just looked up...

AS NEW; FINE; MINT: Without faults or defects.

NEAR FINE: a book approaching FINE (or AS NEW or MINT) but with a couple of very minor defects or faults, which must be noted.

[NOTE: From here on, there may be "+ (Plus)" or "- (Minus)" in a grade, which will mean that it is above the grade noted but not quite to the next higher grade for "+", and that it is below the grade noted but not quite to the next lower grade for "-", i.e., Very Good + (or Plus)/Very Good - (or Minus). Which means the book is better than Very Good and the dust jacket grade is less than Very Good.]

VERY GOOD: A book showing some signs of wear. Any defects or faults must be noted.

GOOD: The average used book that is totally complete (as issued) and intact. Any defects must be noted.

FAIR: A worn book that has complete text pages (including those with maps or plates) but may lack endpapers, half-title page, etc. Any defects or faults must be noted.

POOR or READING COPY: A book that is sufficiently worn that its only merit is the complete text, which must be legible. Any missing maps or plates must be noted. May be soiled, scuffed, stained, or spotted, and may have loose joints, hinges, pages, etc.

EX-LIBRARY: Must always be designated as such no matter what the condition of the book.

BOOK CLUB: Must always be noted as such no matter what the condition of the book.

BINDING COPY: A book in which the text block, including illustrations, is complete but the binding is lacking, or in such poor condition it is beyond realistic restoration efforts.

REMAINDER MARKS, BOOKPLATES, PREVIOUS OWNER'S NAME: These are faults and must always be noted, if they apply.

Reverend

I'm sorry about the reference to the 1k print run. I had it mixed up with something else.

Edit: I just checked the wiki, which lists the 1k print run. I don't have a copy of Kennedy in front of me, but perhaps that's where I read it.

50Cent #II (1st print)

Quote from: Reverend on June 17, 2008, 03:41:04 PM
I'm sorry about the reference to the 1k print run. I had it mixed up with something else.

Edit: I just checked the wiki, which lists the 1k print run. I don't have a copy of Kennedy in front of me, but perhaps that's where I read it.

I saw that too, but wondered where it came from because it doesn't state it in the Kennedy.

Here's a little postscript.

Branaman drew the illustrations for a book titled Hellan, Hellan (1960) by Edward Marshall.

50Cent #II (1st print)

I received a response from "Bob" Branaman today.  Sadly he doesn't even own a copy of this one.  I might meet up with him next week and I might have some more info. then.  Coincidentally he lives a couple blocks away to where my father used to have a business.

An interesting idea was put forward to me by Rosenkranz, if Plymell printed this 4 or more years before Zap Comix, could he have shown it to the artists (or could have Donahue) Robert Ronnie Branaman and could it have influenced Crumb or the other Zap artists?

50Cent #II (1st print)

This arrived today, I'm very surprised it's pure comix.   The scanner doesn't capture the color of the outer cover which is bright florescent day glow red.  1963!  Plymell might have forgotten he printed it, but it's there.

I have to thank Rev. again, what a find to just be looking for a pic. of the cover and be given the opportunity to buy it before I go meet Branaman with my copy of The Last Times that he did the centerfold for.  $75 might seem a lot for an 8-pager, but not to me if it's possibly the oldest or 2nd Underground Comix printed.  Hopefully the copy of Fux! Megascene will arrive soon also and I can bring all 3 with me (now for one of the 6 or 7 copies of Momma-Daddie).  I'll try to take some pics too.

Updated the scans from another non-LED scanner.

Reverend

That's very cool, indeed! It's always nice to see someone get something that's special to them, especially in such an unexpected way.

50Cent #II (1st print)

Some pics. from my visit to "Bob" Branaman a couple weeks ago...

Reverend

Very cool. So, was he a nice guy?

50Cent #II (1st print)

Yes, very nice guy with a lot to tell and some incredible experiences in life and still active creating tons of art...

50Cent #II (1st print)

Received my copy of the Irregular Quarterly  Vol. III : No. II (1986) today and it's not a comix, but a B&W self-published art/poetry mag.  This copy seems to be a special one because it came with a letter signed by Dion Wright (who I believe produced the magazine) addressed to "Janine" (poet Janine Pommy Vega).  Janie "Chipmunk" Lewis is the main subject of the 111 page mag. along with "Bob" Branaman.  Janie died in 1985, about a year before this came out.  It states:
"Hi Janine -

Do you have an adress for D. di Prima??  Would surely appreciate.

Hoping y'r well etc & say 'Hi' to Dacey should you see him.

Love Dion"

(Diane di Prima is a Beat poet who also printed the first two editions of "Psychedelic Prayers" by Timothy Leary in Spring 1966.)

It also has over 10 pages of Branaman's art, most being his comix in the same style as Momma-Daddie (I think some of it might actually be from the Donahue tabloid) and Robert Ronnie Branaman, making it definitely comix related.  It also contains art or poetry by Dion Wright (drawings and sculptures of "Bob" Branaman), Bruce Conner (who died about a week ago), Allen Ginsberg, Charles Plymell, and many others.  The cover is a photo of Branaman (in 1963, the same year "Robert Ronnie Branaman" was printed) by Lee Morgan.

50Cent #II (1st print)

Here is a sculpture of an impression of Branaman by artist Dion Wright (he's the artist that painted the Taxonomic Mandala which you can read all about here: http://www.ocweekly.com/features/features/lords-of-acid/18743/?page=1 ).

The 12' x 8' painting can be seen here:
http://www.dionwright.com/mandala.htm