Rip Off #???

Started by 50Cent #II (1st print), July 22, 2008, 09:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

50Cent #II (1st print)

What's the comic under the R's next to the letter "R"?

http://headcomix.info/wiki/doku.php?id=r_titles

I thought it was one of the Rip Off Comix, but I don't recognize the cover.  I see "Rip Off" on the cover and the number looks like it has a 3 in it.

Brother J

Quote from: 50Cent #II (1st print) on July 22, 2008, 09:32:55 PM
What's the comic under the R's next to the letter "R"?

http://headcomix.info/wiki/doku.php?id=r_titles

I thought it was one of the Rip Off Comix, but I don't recognize the cover.  I see "Rip Off" on the cover and the number looks like it has a 3 in it.

It's Sir Real playing a trick on us...

http://sirrealcomix.mrainey.com/page/r/RipOffComix13.htm

50Cent #II (1st print)

He sure did, spent probably half an hour going through all the covers of Rip Off Comix looking for it...

Brother J

anybody with a copy of #14 that might care to say what the reason was behind skipping #13?

Maybe because it was thought to be unlucky?

Sir Real

Here's the copy from page 2/IFC...

----------------------------------------------------------

AN INTRODUCTION
BY THIS ISSUE'S ACTING EDITOR, KATHE TODD

Dear Readers,

Hello and welcome to the Big Comeback Issue of Rip Off Comix.  It has certainly been a long time (nearly four years!) since the last issue, and I'm sure that many of you have been wondering whether you'd ever see another one.  Why have we waited so long between issues?  There was the Great Famine of 1983, then the Great Floods of 1984-85, and the Great Warehouse Fire of 1986.  Al of these had their effect on us, yet Rip Off Press survived them all and during the past year has actually begun to expand.  But the principal reason for the long hiatus following Rip Off No. 12 was the mysterious disappearance of our Editor in Chief, Frappington Wildebeest VII.

Frappington, or "Frappy" as we used to call him around the editorial offices, came to the helm of Rip Off Comix with issue 11, bringing a new look and an international flavor to the publication.  At first he was cleancut and trim, as befitting the scion of an ancient and noble family.  Then at about the time of publication of Rip Off No. 12, we began to see some signs that all was not well inside that aristocratic cranium.  Perhaps it was a throwback to that streak of familial eccentricity most notable in Frappington ("Mud Frap") Wildebeest IV.  He began dressing strangely, growing his facial hair and wearing buttons with a funny little "A" on them.  One day he abruptly announced he was going on an editorial expedition abroad, and within a week he had vacated his palatial office suite and vanished from the scene.

At first we received regular bulletins from him: "Am signing Hunt Emerson for 26-book series."  "Moebius to pen Freak Brothers Meet the Checkered Demon-art to follow."  Curiously we never did receive any of the material supposedly obtained during this period.  Gradually the communications dwindled, until finally we received a postcard: "Announce publication of Rip Off No. 13 for September 1984.  Art for feature 'The Cartoonists of Namibia' is in the mail."  That was the last we heard from him.  Finally in November of 1986 we decided we could wait no longer, and announced Rip Off No. 13 for February 1987 publication.  As the Namibian art had never arrived, we put it together in San Francisco with new material from local cartoonists plus new and classic material from our Main Man Gilbert Shelton.  Imagine our surprise when, only a month later, Gilbert reported that Frappington had turned up alive and well - in Paris of all places!  We were terrifically relieved, and apologetic that we'd gone ahead without him - which is wny we've called this issue Rip Off Comix No. 14 instead of No. 13 as originally announced.

About This Issue: When we first blah blah blah (just stuff concerning the stories 'n artists in this issue.)

Next Issue: Frappington's back in action with "Wildebeest's Choice." a collection of wild and witty material from around the world.  Among the contributors: Framk margerin, Pierre Ouin, Charlie Schlingo, J.C. Menu, Goossens and others.  It is not yet known whether the Cartoonists of Namibia will be featured - but don't miss it anyway!

----------------------------------------------------------

ROFLMAO!!!  I had totally forgotten that I had used the bogus cover here.  50Cent #II, you should win some kinda prize.
Timeo Hominem Unius Libri