robert crumb's sad book

Started by dr_s, August 25, 2008, 05:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr_s

I know that there are at least 2 different versions of this book. I have seen several green editions and  just bought one with a blue cover. (It is in the mail) Does anyone know about the color variation. I thought I saw a purple one about 25 years ago but it could have been the blue one. After all, 25 years is 25 years for  a single sighting.

dr_s

I got it in the mail and now I am at a lose For those of you who have seen the Sad Book, the cover is a solid green around the frog.. This copy that I just got in  has a border and the back has graphics. I thought I have seen it all, but this is a new one on me. Please 50 or rev or anyone, what's the deal? Still says copyright 1967 American Greeting Cards

wpbooks

Why "at a low"? Sounds like you've uncovered an undiscovered variant....shouldn't you be experiencing a "high" and perhaps doing what my brother used to call "the wambly dance"?

dr_s

I meant lose not low. Still can't type and walk at the same time.

oldmilwaukee6er

same book, just without the green dust jacket?  i mean i don't know... i only saw one copy (dr benway bought one in 07) & i recall the dust jacket being green?

oldmilwaukee6er

dr_s

He bought it from me. I don't know if it is a variant or more likely a different ed. Of course, just what is the first ed. (Again, I think there is one like Dr B's but with either a blue or purple cover.) By the way, the back cover illo on mine is similar to some of the greeting card envelopes.  This is a job for superGuy.

50Cent #II (1st print)

So is this the same one Dr_S sold to Dr Benway in 07, just without the green dust jacket?

dr_s

yes. The question is, is it a variant or another ed? I think there are at least 3 different covers (Green the most common, the border-this is the only one I've seen, and a possible blue one). If I had to guess, I would guess the border one is a later ed but....... That's why we need you Guy. You are into this stuff.

oldmilwaukee6er

Quote from: 50Cent #II (1st print) on August 26, 2008, 11:44:07 PM
So is this the same one Dr_S sold to Dr Benway in 07, just without the green dust jacket?
short answer 'no' ... not the same copy (but the same book)

i thought what we are seeing is a copy of the book without a dust jacket (dr_s's pics).  i was offering the opinion that the normal green cover that we associate w/ the book is the dustjacket itself & not actually the book cover, while i believe the good doctor is ALSO pointing out that there may be a blue-purple variation in the book's cover itself. 

so i am gonna email dr benway & get him to look at this thread & his copy & perhaps he can weigh in...

Reverend

Sadly, I'm not too familiar with this particular book. I've never owned a copy, have only seen the odd pic of one.

dr_s

The book was published with out a dj. It is almost a greeting card. If you want to see the interior, sans covers, here is a link;
http://members.tripod.com/jakemw/crumb2.htm

oldmilwaukee6er

i emailed dr benway to help.  i am confusing it b/c i dont have a copy, have only seen a few, & basically do not know what i am talking about.   

50Cent #II (1st print)

Sorry, I don't have any info. for you.  I usually give info. on items that I have or have examined or have read about, but this one I don't have any info. for you.  All I've got is a copy or two of the regular red edition hard cover.

dr_s

Well that's another one. Post a scan of the red one. I never ever heard of that one.