Zap Comix #3 (true 1st print) SOLD!

Started by 50Cent #II (1st print), May 16, 2008, 06:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

50Cent #II (1st print)

Anyone want a low grade Zap Comix #3 (true 1st print) for $85 + $4.80 Priority Mail shipping to the U.S. (insurance optional), Paypal.  These are RARE.  I not sure JK even had one of his own or why would he state glossy for 1st prints?  There is not mistaking it, it's matte and about 3 times thicker than a glossy cover.

ProJunior

Quote from: 50Cent #II (1st print) on May 16, 2008, 06:17:25 PM
Anyone want a low grade Zap Comix #3 (true 1st print) for $85 + $4.80

Hmmmm .... I have 1st printings of Zap No's. 2, 4 & 5 that look better than the above.  Wonder what THEY'D be worth, then?

-Projunior
Are we part of the moral potential being made complete on the pitchfork of Elmer Fudd?
- Chuck Moulton

ProJunior

Are we part of the moral potential being made complete on the pitchfork of Elmer Fudd?
- Chuck Moulton

50Cent #II (1st print)

Zap #5 is very common.
Zap #4, not sure how to tell if it's a first print, seems to supposedly be a thicker cover but how thick?
Zap #2 is very rare and you'd have to post a pic. of the "Head First" page about 3/4 the way in for everyone to see if it's really a 1st print (if it is, then I'll pay $200 for a start, seems to be in about the 6.0 range).  What condition would you grade those?

If they are really true 1st prints, then you should be able to get a pretty penny from them if you keep the grading in line as those aren't MINT.  As you can see I'm asking for about what Fogel lists for this condition (not 150% above guide or something).  Maybe there is a reason why you don't have a #3 first print?
Just, how rare is it?  Kennedy didn't even list this one right, so I don't think there really are that many out there...

I sold this 5.0 range (honest, not over grading) one last week for $100, now this buyer knows what a real 1st print looks/feels like.

ProJunior

50 cent said:
>Zap #5 is very common.
     OK, didn't know that.  Good info to have.
>Zap #4, not sure how to tell if it's a first print, seems to supposedly be a thicker cover but how thick?
     Well, the FPG says thicker cover & no copyright.  Mine fits both.  I compared the cover with others of "normal" thickness & this one is definitely thicker.
>Zap #2 is very rare and you'd have to post a pic. of the "Head First" page about 3/4 the way in for everyone to see if it's really a 1st print
     The FPG says "bad trim on Head 1st."  Dunno what that means, exactly, but here's mine so you can see for yourself.
>(if it is, then I'll pay $200 for a start, seems to be in about the 6.0 range).  What condition would you grade those?
     Hard to say.  I'm an amateur in quality grading, having never done it before.  Is it possible to tell just from cover scans or is more info needed?
>If they are really true 1st prints, then you should be able to get a pretty penny from them if you keep the grading in line as those aren't MINT.
     Yeah, I'd say that most of mine definitely aren't mint.  <g>  (Maybe some are near mint, tho.  Hmmm .....)
> As you can see I'm asking for about what Fogel lists for this condition (not 150% above guide or something).  Maybe there is a reason why you don't have a #3 first print?     If there's a reason, then it's probably because the 1st print was sold out by the time I got that issue.  I was living in Fresno, CA at the time & didn't have access to all the 1st printings coming out of the Bay Area.
>Just, how rare is it?  Kennedy didn't even list this one right, so I don't think there really are that many out there...
     I assume you mean the 3rd issue.  Actually, I don't know how rare the 1st printing of that issue is.  What did Kennedy get wrong about it?

-Projunior
- Chuck Moulton

50Cent #II (1st print)

That's not the 1st print of #2, sorry.
Kennedy states the first print of #3 is glossy, it's not.

ProJunior

Quote from: 50Cent #II (1st print) on May 17, 2008, 04:49:02 PM
That's not the 1st print of #2, sorry.
Kennedy states the first print of #3 is glossy, it's not.

Wait, are you talking about #2 or #3 now, since you mention both?  My copy of Kennedy doesn't say anything about the cover of the 1st print of #2 being glossy.  It just says heavy cover stock (70#), which mine seems to be.  I never claimed to have a 1st printing of #3.

-Projunior
- Chuck Moulton

50Cent #II (1st print)

That pic. of "Head First" isn't from a first print of #2.

The JK lists the cover: glossy in the main text above 1st print for #3.  He did this to refer to the first print as he does through the rest of the guide.

wpbooks

I am holding in my hands 2 copies of #3 one of which is definately glossy and has an obviously thinner cover stock than the other, but the other seems like it could be matte in relation to the first, as it is most certainly thicker cover stock to the touch, and not quite as shiny to the look, but I can't say for sure that it is matte.  The more matte like issue is about 9 5/8" tall, while the glossier one is 9 7/8" tall. The matte-like one appears slightly darker color wise, than the glossy, but since their conditions are very similar, about 8.5 or so, it's really hard to tell....any comments on the size of the variants or printings that you know of 50 Cent?  This really is a tough one and doesn't have an easy point like Zaps 0, 1 and 2. (of course both sport a 50 cent cover price.  Not sure a scan would be of much help as by using your purported 1st as a point of reference is tough due to it's having seen much better days.....how tall is your first, btw?

ProJunior

Quote from: 50Cent #II (1st print) on May 17, 2008, 05:02:29 PM
That pic. of "Head First" isn't from a first print of #2.
But how do we know that?  I'd have to see a copy of the "Head 1st" you're referring to before I could go along with that.  Mine definitely has the heavy cover stock, tho.

-Projunior
- Chuck Moulton

Reverend

Here's a pic of the "Head First" miscut from another thread on another board:

dr_s

As for the Zap 3, when you see the first, it looks different. Don't ask me how, maybe the lack of brightness of the cover compared to  later prints. When a dealer I know puts puts out his $10 ugs (all unbagged no less) I could just tell it was different.

wpbooks

Quote from: dr_s on May 17, 2008, 08:33:05 PM
As for the Zap 3, when you see the first, it looks different. Don't ask me how, maybe the lack of brightness of the cover compared to  later prints. When a dealer I know puts puts out his $10 ugs (all unbagged no less) I could just tell it was different.

Just looking at the two I referred to above, there is an obvious difference in size and brightness or intensity of color.  The thicker, more matte-like issue has more of a dull sheen to it, if that makes any sense.  Not sure if it would be as easy to discern if I didn't have at least the two side by side, though.

over40artist

Those Zap covers are why I bought a micrometer.

ProJunior

Quote from: Reverend on May 17, 2008, 08:22:31 PM
Here's a pic of the "Head First" miscut from another thread on another board:
Hmmm ... I guess the miscut means that the upper margin is wider & the bottom margin is narrower or almost nonexistent, it looks like.  Interesting.  I seem to have a copy that has the 1st printing cover but the 2nd printing "Head 1st" strip.  Wonder if that's the 1.5th printing?  <g>

-Projunior
- Chuck Moulton