Zap Comix #3 (true 1st print) SOLD!

Started by 50Cent #II (1st print), May 16, 2008, 06:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

over40artist

If you navigate to the tail end of 50C's article here, you can read all you wanted to know and more about Zap #2's early print editions:

http://headcomix.info/wiki/doku.php?id=the_written_word

human

Quote from: ProJunior on May 18, 2008, 02:05:20 AM
Quote from: Reverend on May 17, 2008, 08:22:31 PM
Here's a pic of the "Head First" miscut from another thread on another board:
Hmmm ... I guess the miscut means that the upper margin is wider & the bottom margin is narrower or almost nonexistent, it looks like.  Interesting.  I seem to have a copy that has the 1st printing cover but the 2nd printing "Head 1st" strip.  Wonder if that's the 1.5th printing?  <g>

-Projunior

It means it's a 2nd print.

50Cent #II (1st print)

Quote from: over40artist on May 18, 2008, 04:34:05 AM
If you navigate to the tail end of 50C's article here, you can read all you wanted to know and more about Zap #2's early print editions:

hanks O40A, it was a start of an article to just became a huge collection of unedited notes, maybe I'll put it into something coherent some day, but there is a lot of info. in it, some hasn't been documented.

The Zap #3 is on hold pending payment.
As for the cover, it's matte or maybe a satin finish, but it is no where near glossy smooth like all my there 20 something copies.  When the new buyer gets it, they may want to post their opinion for a 2nd point of view which I'm sure will help...
I'm including a thicker and thinner glossy cover version for comparison, between those 2 it's not easy at first to tell the difference, but if you rub it with your finger tip (wash them with soap first so you don't leave fingerprints), and more easily, if you bend them (not to crease them) then it's more apparent.

ProJunior

Quote from: over40artist on May 18, 2008, 04:34:05 AM
Thanx for the tip.  I'll check it out.

-Projunior
Are we part of the moral potential being made complete on the pitchfork of Elmer Fudd?
- Chuck Moulton

ProJunior

It means it's a 2nd print.

Or, as Don Donahue put it, a "corrected version of the 1st."
The first printing (or, if you prefer, the first state or version of the first printing) is, of course, the one that has "Head First" coming off [the bottom of] the page.  The weight of the cover stock ranges from slightly heavier than "regular" to a lot heavier than "regular."
The 2nd printing (or the corrected version of the first) has covers identical in every way to those of the uncorrected version, with the same range of weights. 

Lotta good info in that 50 cent article that Over40artist put me onto.  So the FPG says that the 1st printing has heavy cover stock & a messed up "Head 1st" & that the 2nd printing is lighter cover stock with a normal "Head 1st."  That means that mine is neither since it has the heavy cover stock of the 1st but the normal margins of the 2nd.  That should make it something separate, I'd think. All we need to do now is to come up with the proper category for it.

-Projr.
:01_bounce:
Are we part of the moral potential being made complete on the pitchfork of Elmer Fudd?
- Chuck Moulton

wpbooks

Since collecting UG is probably closer to collecting books than comic books, Is your copy a 1st printing, 2nd state? It's what happens when an error is caught in the midst of the first printing, corrected and then the run is continued.  1st printing, 1st state is still the earliest edition, though.......as I think more about it, weren't the rest of the true first printings destroyed except for the 500 saved for the release party(Head-First miscut)?  The guts of your copy is indeed a second printing, not a corrected first printing.  The cover is a hold over from the first, but I guess you could have a second printing in a first state "dust jacket" sort of thing....sounds more confusing....but that is what it appears to be akin to....anyone?

ProJunior

Quote from: wpbooks on May 18, 2008, 05:16:58 PM
Since collecting UG is probably closer to collecting books than comic books, Is your copy a 1st printing, 2nd state?
That sounds like a good term to use.  I'd certainly be happy with it.
QuoteIt's what happens when an error is caught in the midst of the first printing, corrected and then the run is continued.  1st printing, 1st state is still the earliest edition, though.......
Quite right.  I have no argument with that.
Quoteas I think more about it, weren't the rest of the true first printings destroyed except for the 500 saved for the release party(Head-First miscut)?
   Yep, I'm pretty sure that's what 50 cents said in his article.
QuoteThe guts of your copy is indeed a second printing, not a corrected first printing.  The cover is a hold over from the first, but I guess you could have a second printing in a first state "dust jacket" sort of thing....sounds more confusing....but that is what it appears to be akin to....anyone?
Confusing is the word, man!!!  I'd be happy for more input on this myself.

-Projunior
:01_bounce:
- Chuck Moulton

50Cent #II (1st print)

Actually, it's a true 2nd print as Donahue states.  The error was caught, approx. 500 copies bound, the guts were pulped and the 2nd print of approx. 4,500 run corrected and the covers of the first print were bound to the 2nd print guts.

ProJunior

Quote from: 50Cent #II (1st print) on May 18, 2008, 11:37:55 PM
Actually, it's a true 2nd print as Donahue states.  The error was caught, approx. 500 copies bound, the guts were pulped and the 2nd print of approx. 4,500 run corrected and the covers of the first print were bound to the 2nd print guts.
That'd seem to indicate that it's a 1st print/2nd print combo then, w/a 1st print cover & 2nd print guts.  Interesting.

-Projunior
- Chuck Moulton

Reverend

Quote from: 50Cent #II (1st print) on May 18, 2008, 11:37:55 PM

It's undoubtedly the number of miscut copies (500) that constitute a "printing" in this instance. If, let's say, only 10 such copies escaped before the error was caught, it would be just that, an error edition, which it still is in a sense, especially being that the same covers were used. So, essentially, the first and second "printings" have the same covers but different guts. Not really a true second printing any way you slice it.

50Cent #II (1st print)

My understanding is that printing would go by the guts of a comic book (the heart or story), not by the wrapper around the story.  Like using Blazing Combat covers over coverless guts of different titles, Overstreet wouldn't consider those "Blazing Combats", but the title of the guts with a different cover on it.

Reverend

It's how you perceive it.

Personally, I look at every ingredient. To me, the miscut will forever be an error edition or, more accurately, the first state of the first printing. However, that doesn't discourage me from owning one of each.

50Cent #II (1st print)