Horror Movies & other rare gems!

Started by Reverend, June 09, 2008, 10:14:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reverend

So, of all the people you've met from horror films, who would you say is the most memorable and why?

Visitor Q

Quote from: Reverend on June 09, 2008, 10:14:16 AM
So, of all the people you've met from horror films, who would you say is the most memorable and why?

That is a very tough question to answer as I have met a lot of great people that I respect in the field. I can give you a few high lights though... Ruggero Deodato, director of Cannibal Holocaust... I am a big fan of an Italian horror movies so it was great meeting a director of so many that I enjoy. He did not speak much English but I recall having a laser disc with me "House near the edge of the park" that apparently he had no clue was out on disc. I remember his assistant asking me where I got because he wanted to know. He was not pissed and signed it but I guess it was not authorized. LOL!

James Lorinz from Street Trash was just an all around, down to earth funny guy. He was in Frankenhooker and I remember busting his ass because he was in the Jerky Boys movie and it was such a flop.

None horror movie related, I met all the kids from the original Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, a favorite childhood movie of mine. We had the cast quoting lines from the movie which was great, "I want an Oompa-Loompa NOW!" and "Can it you nit!".

Really I could go on and on. I have lots of pictures I should too I should post sometime.

Jason
"Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

Reverend

That's very cool. I don't go to many conventions, so I don't get to meet the people behind the camera. One person I'd love to meet, however, is Clive Barker. I'm a fan of so much of his work--novels, short stories, movies, painting. To me, he's a creative genius.

Visitor Q

I've never met him but I did meet Doug Bradley (Pinhead).

Jason
"Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

dr_s

Last San Diego con I met one of the biggies and didn't even know it until he left. At set up Sunday morning, this guy in a wheel chair is brought over looking for the guy set up next to me. I told him the dealer was not there but would be back soon. We chit chatted awhile about the show and then my neighbor came back and had a long conversation with the gentlemen. Then he left. My fellow dealer then mentioned that the guy was Ray Harryhausen. One of my idols. What a kick, and I didn't even recognize him.

Visitor Q

Don't feel bad, I would not know it was Ray Harryhausen either cause I don't even know who the hell that is!

Jason

wpbooks

Wait...you're an aficianado of horror films so you must have an inkling about the history of EFX and you wouldn't know who the Godfather is, even by name?  Shame on you...that's like showing up on these boards and saying, who's that Corben guy the gooddr. is always mentioning.  If you want to see Ray Harryhausen expound at length about his influences, I highly recommend the recently released Criterion Edition of The Thief Of Bagdad.  Not only do you get to see a classic, you get a great look at Ray Harryhausen and what he's all about in a highly entertaining 1/2 hour supplement. And if you have a Netflix subscription, you can even get hold of it that way...that's how I saw it, and I'm glad I did.  There was also a great fanzine dedicated to Harryhausen called FXRH back in the 60's and 70's and worth tracking down if you have the time.  You owe it to yourself to check this guy out, as special effects history basically starts with him and Willis O'Brien, the FX supervisor on the original King Kong.

Reverend

Quote from: Visitor Q on June 09, 2008, 04:19:27 PM
Don't feel bad, I would not know it was Ray Harryhausen either cause I don't even know who the hell that is!

Jason

Surely you must've seen Clash of the Titans or one of the old Sinbad movies!

wpbooks

1,000,000 Years B.C.?  It Came from Beneath The Sea?

Brother J

Who is Corben?  :01_wtf:

Just kidding, guys...

wpbooks

Who is guys?

Just kidding Corben.

dr_s

wpbooks

dr_s

then the quesiton would have been: Who is  Nitschke? Gaurd

Visitor Q

Quote from: Reverend on June 09, 2008, 05:02:10 PM
Quote from: Visitor Q on June 09, 2008, 04:19:27 PM

Jason

Surely you must've seen Clash of the Titans or one of the old Sinbad movies!

Nah... I don't like that crap.

I don't even really like Hammer Films, Godzilla or King Kong... No Frankinstein or any other type monster movies like that.

I like 70s and 80s gore movies.

Lucio Fulci
Dario Argento
Joe D'Amato
Peter Jackson (NOT KING KONG!)
Umberto Lenzi

Movies like Cannibal Ferox, Dr. Butcher M.D., El Topo, Meet the Feebles, Gates of Hell, Suspiria etc... I could go on for DAYS!

Jason