Horror Movies & other rare gems!

Started by Reverend, June 09, 2008, 10:14:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stage52

I'm still trying to get over your reply that you did not know Harryhausen.   What is the address of that Cave you have been living in?   :01_wtf:  the Grandfather of the Creature Features .  Wow !!!!!!

Visitor Q

Quote from: stage52 on June 09, 2008, 10:55:50 PM
I'm still trying to get over your reply that you did not know Harryhausen.   What is the address of that Cave you have been living in?   :01_wtf:  the Grandfather of the Creature Features .  Wow !!!!!!

Sorry... Just being honest here.

I mean I guess I have heard of him in general but I don't care for what he has done other than paving the way to greater things.

Like I said, 70s and 80s gore movies. This guy was doing stuff like Sinbad and Clash of the Titans, not a fan... Sorry.

I like giallos, gore movies and kung fu... What the hell does Harryhausen know about that?

Ya like what ya like... It's what makes the world go round!

Jason
"Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

wpbooks

I'm with you on the giallo's, man, after all what would the world be without Argento and his ilk, but not to know Harryhausen is a damn shame....I'm sure you know of Tom Savini and George Romero and how they basically influenced  giallo, and you can be sure that Savini is aware of and embraces Ray H.

It's the trouble with kids these days...no sense of history...I love Lenzi, Fulci, Deodato, the Italian Western and Italian Crime guys too, but it's the history of cinema we're talking here... I mean without the Italians you might not have what's going on in Asia these days like Takashi Miike, or Kinji Fukasaku or the types of films they make which harken back to giallo and it's precursors....I weep for you Visitor Q....embrace it all...it's all good and will lead to better balance in your mind...your chakras and in your breathing habits...you'll find your shits will even be more pleasant!  It's true and I'm thinking Stage 52 and the Rev. will back me up on this...and hell, I don't even know them.....see, you've upset me....I'm babbling...I'll just stop and get me some sleep....you heathen, you!

dr_s

Actually there is a more insidious explanation for Jasons lack of knowledge. We are getting old. One of the first signs of aging is  when you speak to a younger person and they stare at you when you mention someone famous in your youth. I once had an entire computer class stare at me with blank expressions when I mentioned Judy Garland and the Wizard of Oz. (Of course they give me the same expressions when I try to teach them programming.)

wpbooks

Now that's really something because I'm 42 years older than my nephew, who can not only identify Judy Garland but is pretty good at remembering the name Margaret Hamilton....but he's not a computer geek yet, so that trivia could fall by the wayside before too long.

Reverend

I never understood the fascination with gore movies.

Visitor Q

Quote from: wpbooks on June 09, 2008, 11:50:39 PM
I'm with you on the giallo's, man, after all what would the world be without Argento and his ilk, but not to know Harryhausen is a damn shame....I'm sure you know of Tom Savini and George Romero and how they basically influenced  giallo, and you can be sure that Savini is aware of and embraces Ray H.

It's the trouble with kids these days...no sense of history...I love Lenzi, Fulci, Deodato, the Italian Western and Italian Crime guys too, but it's the history of cinema we're talking here... I mean without the Italians you might not have what's going on in Asia these days like Takashi Miike, or Kinji Fukasaku or the types of films they make which harken back to giallo and it's precursors....I weep for you Visitor Q....embrace it all...it's all good and will lead to better balance in your mind...your chakras and in your breathing habits...you'll find your shits will even be more pleasant!  It's true and I'm thinking Stage 52 and the Rev. will back me up on this...and hell, I don't even know them.....see, you've upset me....I'm babbling...I'll just stop and get me some sleep....you heathen, you!

I have met Savini countless times; he is the only one to this day at these conventions that never charges a dime for his autograph.

Italian Western and Italian Crime movies are awesome! I really like the Django movies and Fulci's Contraband.

Takashi Miike is cool, where do you think my nick comes from? ;) He has shit out a lot of really bad movies but Ichi The Killer and say Dead or Alive are some really good ones. I do like Asia cinema but it has really turned to crap of late, ever since The Ring it seems.

Like I said, I have heard the name before Harryhausen but after the prison rape here I looked him up, not my bag.

Have you guys seen movies from Alejandro Jodorowsky?

Jason
"Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

Visitor Q

Quote from: Reverend on June 10, 2008, 08:48:23 AM
I never understood the fascination with gore movies.

What's not to like? =]

Jason

Reverend

I'm not trying to knock them--to each their own--but I'm curious to hear from a fan of the genre what the appeal is. I enjoy aspects of gore in horror films, but not gore for gore's sake.

Visitor Q

I like to see shit and say, oh my God, you have got to be kiddin' me! Like Braindead by Peter Jackson, a guy takes a lawn mower up right and chops up zombies! CRAZY!!!

I love my Grandfather to death (RIP) and always consider to this day to be one of the strong reasons why I enjoy horror movies so much. We always use to joke around about different things, bunch of inside jokes.

Horror Movies are cool in general but most of the new ones suck. CGI killed horror movies for the most part.

At any rate, I got off track there a little. I'm not sure I guess really why I like gore for the sake of gore. I don't hunt, I don't like to see fights but I guess there is something about human butchery I love. LOL!

Hey Arnold, still want me to come over?

Jason

Reverend

Interesting.

I'd have to say horror is my favorite genre, too, though I prefer the deeply-disturbing, psychological sort. There are many that fall into this category, but Session 9 is the first that sprang to mind. There's something that darkly fascinates me about insane asylums, abandoned and otherwise.

I'm also intrigued by insane alchemists and cult/serial killers. Cronos and Doctor Sleep (a.k.a. Close Your Eyes) are two that follow those lines.

It's more about the story for me.

wpbooks

Quote from: Visitor Q on June 10, 2008, 09:28:34 AM

Jason

Holy Mountain is one of my favorite films ever, and I never hesitate to check out Santa Sangre every once in awhile.  I always felt El Topo was a tad overrated and Holy Mountain was by far the superior film and I'm quite happy that Fando & Lis and his first film, La Cravate, were released in that nice box set that came out last year.  My wife actually got to meet him at a seminar he did in SF a few years ago and not knowing anything about his film career, found him to be a perplexing character of sorts.  I'm not quite so fond of his comic book work, but I do respect his brand of surrealism, and he works well with Moebius....but having said all that, I'd be willing to bet that AJ is a fan and admirer of RH, and should he come through this way again I'll ask him to confirm my suspicions.  I love a good gore film as much as anyone, and grew up near a drive-in where I actually got to see 2000 Maniacs and another H G Lewis film when I was a wee lad, but story is indeed paramount when it comes to investing my time with a film these days and I'll take just about any Peter Lorre, James Cagney or Busby Berkeley (check out his Wonder Bar, if you can find it, for some of the most bizarre and twisted non-cgi efx ever in his depiction of Going To Heaven On A Mule, which I'm willing to bet was an influence on R. Crumb, possibly in maybe an unconscious way, on the stereotypes depicted in some of his early comics) film to pretty much anything when it comes to spending my time away from UG.  My favorite film is Fritz Lang's M and while the technology may have improved since it's original play date, there's not a better story and the gore is left off camera. Lang says more with a stray balloon than Argento does with his full fledged dose of mayhem.....you'll see.  (BTW, anyone here have a line on a watchable copy of the Joseph Losey remake of M starring David Wayne?...if so PM me please!)

wpbooks

Hey Rev,
Have you ever seen Seconds with Rock Hudson...I think you'd dig that if you like your horror psychological....it's got what may be the most horrifying final sequence just by the way it's shot, in the history of 'horror'.  It's a near forgotten classic by the great John Frankenheimer, and while it's usually not listed as a horror film, I always felt that was it's proper classification.  I picked up Session 9 a few years ago and for some reason it didn't leave much of an impression...I think I liked the description on the case better than the way the film unfolded, but I did like the setting a lot, and would have been happy to watch ol' David Caruso just do general janitorial maintenance on the place for an hour or so!

Visitor Q

Quote from: wpbooks on June 10, 2008, 11:51:50 AM
Quote from: Visitor Q on June 10, 2008, 09:28:34 AM

Jason

Holy Mountain is one of my favorite films ever, and I never hesitate to check out Santa Sangre every once in awhile.  I always felt El Topo was a tad overrated and Holy Mountain was by far the superior film and I'm quite happy that Fando & Lis and his first film, La Cravate, were released in that nice box set that came out last year.  My wife actually got to meet him at a seminar he did in SF a few years ago and not knowing anything about his film career, found him to be a perplexing character of sorts.  I'm not quite so fond of his comic book work, but I do respect his brand of surrealism, and he works well with Moebius....but having said all that, I'd be willing to bet that AJ is a fan and admirer of RH, and should he come through this way again I'll ask him to confirm my suspicions.  I love a good gore film as much as anyone, and grew up near a drive-in where I actually got to see 2000 Maniacs and another H G Lewis film when I was a wee lad, but story is indeed paramount when it comes to investing my time with a film these days and I'll take just about any Peter Lorre, James Cagney or Busby Berkeley (check out his Wonder Bar, if you can find it, for some of the most bizarre and twisted non-cgi efx ever in his depiction of Going To Heaven On A Mule, which I'm willing to bet was an influence on R. Crumb, possibly in maybe an unconscious way, on the stereotypes depicted in some of his early comics) film to pretty much anything when it comes to spending my time away from UG.  My favorite film is Fritz Lang's M and while the technology may have improved since it's original play date, there's not a better story and the gore is left off camera. Lang says more with a stray balloon than Argento does with his full fledged dose of mayhem.....you'll see.  (BTW, anyone here have a line on a watchable copy of the Joseph Losey remake of M starring David Wayne?...if so PM me please!)

Holy Mountain and El Topo are my two favorites followed by Santa Sangre.

Never met AJ but would like too. I have seen and read interviews with him, seems like a strange guy.

Not a fan of Moebius either.

Jason

ps. Man we really got off topic in this post!

Comix Junky

Sorry i'm late for the beat-down.

Quote from: Visitor Q on June 09, 2008, 04:19:27 PM
... Ray Harryhausen ... I don't even know who the hell that is!
Jason    :loser:
:laughing4:

:newbie:
Shame On You

:01_bitchslap: .   :twak:
:damnmate:
:violent1: .
:icon_axe:
Collecting is a disease = Obsessive-Possessive Disorder.
---------------
Slabbing Undergrounds is sacrilege.
---------------
The phrase "Action 1 of the Undergrounds"
makes my skin crawl.