Horror Movies & other rare gems!

Started by Reverend, June 09, 2008, 10:14:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Visitor Q

Man FUCK Ray Harryhausen.:monkey_piss:
:monkey_poo:
Ray Harryhausen

Jason
"Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

dr_s

Visitor Q

"Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

wpbooks

Quote from: Visitor Q on June 10, 2008, 12:11:58 PM
Quote from: wpbooks on June 10, 2008, 11:51:50 AM
Quote from: Visitor Q on June 10, 2008, 09:28:34 AM

Have you guys seen movies from Alejandro Jodorowsky?

Jason

Holy Mountain is one of my favorite films ever, and I never hesitate to check out Santa Sangre every once in awhile.  I always felt El Topo was a tad overrated and Holy Mountain was by far the superior film and I'm quite happy that Fando & Lis and his first film, La Cravate, were released in that nice box set that came out last year.  My wife actually got to meet him at a seminar he did in SF a few years ago and not knowing anything about his film career, found him to be a perplexing character of sorts.  I'm not quite so fond of his comic book work, but I do respect his brand of surrealism, and he works well with Moebius....but having said all that, I'd be willing to bet that AJ is a fan and admirer of RH, and should he come through this way again I'll ask him to confirm my suspicions.  I love a good gore film as much as anyone, and grew up near a drive-in where I actually got to see 2000 Maniacs and another H G Lewis film when I was a wee lad, but story is indeed paramount when it comes to investing my time with a film these days and I'll take just about any Peter Lorre, James Cagney or Busby Berkeley (check out his Wonder Bar, if you can find it, for some of the most bizarre and twisted non-cgi efx ever in his depiction of Going To Heaven On A Mule, which I'm willing to bet was an influence on R. Crumb, possibly in maybe an unconscious way, on the stereotypes depicted in some of his early comics) film to pretty much anything when it comes to spending my time away from UG.  My favorite film is Fritz Lang's M and while the technology may have improved since it's original play date, there's not a better story and the gore is left off camera. Lang says more with a stray balloon than Argento does with his full fledged dose of mayhem.....you'll see.  (BTW, anyone here have a line on a watchable copy of the Joseph Losey remake of M starring David Wayne?...if so PM me please!)

Holy Mountain and El Topo are my two favorites followed by Santa Sangre.

Never met AJ but would like too. I have seen and read interviews with him, seems like a strange guy.

Not a fan of Moebius either.

Jason

ps. Man we really got off topic in this post!

It was the word 'alternative' in the title to this thread that attracted me.  I'd say this thread has taken an alternative path, at the very least...and no, don't fuck RH...fuck ignorance of RH...the man is an efx god!

Visitor Q

Speaking of wheel chairs, check this movie out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwBN7ggX6FQ

My type of movie and part of my collection of course. ;)

Jason

Visitor Q

Arnold's cool with it, right Arnie!?

RIGHT!!!

Jason

Reverend

I haven't seen Seconds, but I'm going to add it to my queue!

wpbooks

In a lot of ways it's like a really intelligent EC Comics-style story with what may be the most intense use of a fish-eye lens ever! Hope you like it as I'd hate to have steered you wrong.

Reverend

I added it to my queue and bumped it up to the top. I see that they (Blockbuster) shipped the Troll 1/Troll 2 DVD. LOL! Do any of you remember those godawful movies? They're so bad, they're good. I rented them just for the "RAT BURGERS!" scene in the first one.

Visitor Q

I remember Troll 1 and 2.

How about Munchies?

Jason

Reverend

I recognize the poster, but I can't recall if I've seen it. For some reason, I'm now reminded of C.H.U.D. and Critters. Good ol' '80s horror! It's amazing how many B movies made it to the big screen in those days.

stage52

Well  Jason  I did not mean to sound like i was dissing you.   Your comment  of not knowing R.H. really took me by surprise.  I guess some of us older geriatrics here have a special place in our hearts for Harryhausen because it was in many cases our 1st encounter of the strange kind for us.  I think  my 1st was probably  King Kong  on TV at 4 years old.  When I was 6 in 1958 my Grandmother took me to see "7th Voyage of Sinbad" at Radio City Music Hall with its huge screen.  I was fascinated by the SPFX Harryhausen did.  "Mysterious Island" was another favorite of his.   

Those were much simpler times .  Its sort of like the 1st space missions when everyone watched in awe because of the unknown.  You hardly get a yawn out of people with a shuttle take off now.  I think one has to appreciate how hard it was for those creators to do what they achieved with so few people & resources.   I look at the list of 100s of  SPFX /CG  people on a film now  and laugh because the story sucks & the actors are usually worse and too many of these films leave me cold.  I think the older posters on here know what I am talking about.   God I don't feel that old.  There are people in the film industry that are very talented with Special Effects but its the content of the story thats the most important part.    It's hard to appreciate what has passed if you missed it but it is important to know what you missed.

Someday Jason you will be talking to some young whippersnapper and say to him I remember when.  It is then you will understand.   Whatever floats your boat is fine with me.  There I have vented, that feels better.  I hope I don't sound like Father Time here.  I think I appreciate what they did way back when because I have spent my life in the Entertainment/Film/ Concert production Field and  have 1st hand knowledge of how hard all this work is.   

Visitor Q

Quote from: stage52 on June 10, 2008, 05:33:38 PM
Well  Jason  I did not mean to sound like i was dissing you.   Your comment  of not knowing R.H. really took me by surprise.  I guess some of us older geriatrics here have a special place in our hearts for Harryhausen because it was in many cases our 1st encounter of the strange kind for us.  I think  my 1st was probably  King Kong  on TV at 4 years old.  When I was 6 in 1958 my Grandmother took me to see "7th Voyage of Sinbad" at Radio City Music Hall with its huge screen.  I was fascinated by the SPFX Harryhausen did.  "Mysterious Island" was another favorite of his.   

Those were much simpler times .  Its sort of like the 1st space missions when everyone watched in awe because of the unknown.  You hardly get a yawn out of people with a shuttle take off now.  I think one has to appreciate how hard it was for those creators to do what they achieved with so few people & resources.   I look at the list of 100s of  SPFX /CG  people on a film now  and laugh because the story sucks & the actors are usually worse and too many of these films leave me cold.  I think the older posters on here know what I am talking about.   God I don't feel that old.  There are people in the film industry that are very talented with Special Effects but its the content of the story thats the most important part.    It's hard to appreciate what has passed if you missed it but it is important to know what you missed.

Someday Jason you will be talking to some young whippersnapper and say to him I remember when.  It is then you will understand.   Whatever floats your boat is fine with me.  There I have vented, that feels better.  I hope I don't sound like Father Time here.  I think I appreciate what they did way back when because I have spent my life in the Entertainment/Film/ Concert production Field and  have 1st hand knowledge of how hard all this work is.   

It's all good and like I said, it's not that I don't like what the guy has done for the industry, it's just that I don't like those movies.

Never was a fan of monster movies like King Kong, Dracula, Frankenstein, Wolfman etc... Although I do like Blood for Dracula, Flesh for Frankenstein and Teen Wolf... LOL! Hell toss them altogether cause I like Monster Squad as well. What can I say, 80s were my growing up days!

Jason

Comix Junky

"...I think one has to appreciate how hard it was for those creators to ...
"...I think the older posters on here know what I am talking about....
"...Someday Jason you will be talking to some young whippersnapper and say to him I remember when...."

The age diffrence thing.
I bought most of my comix for cover price in head shops. So i bite my tounge a lot around here.

When Jason said he didn't know RH,  I couldn't resist a chance to pick on a young whippersnapper, and know he wouldn't get TOO pissed off.   :icon_madu:

:hhgg:
Collecting is a disease = Obsessive-Possessive Disorder.
---------------
Slabbing Undergrounds is sacrilege.
---------------
The phrase "Action 1 of the Undergrounds"
makes my skin crawl.

wpbooks

Quote from: Visitor Q on June 11, 2008, 09:35:13 AM
Quote from: stage52 on June 10, 2008, 05:33:38 PM

Never was a fan of monster movies like King Kong, Dracula, Frankenstein, Wolfman etc... Although I do like Blood for Dracula, Flesh for Frankenstein and Teen Wolf... LOL! Hell toss them altogether cause I like Monster Squad as well. What can I say, 80s were my growing up days!

Jason

As a fan of Blood for Dracula and Flesh for Frankenstein, you obviously have a taste for 'cheese', shall we say, so liking RH product shouldn't be too far afield....it's obviously not the same gorewise, but there is a certain quaintness to be found in both types of film.  Did you ever see Flesh For Frankenstein when it was in 3-d and titled Andy Warhol's Frankenstein....may be the best use of 3-d ever,especially when the heart gets burst through the chest and right into the audience.  Too bad it's not available in that form on dvd...someday perhaps!  BTW, count me in as one just giving you some uneccessary shite...I'm sure there are a lot of gore-meisters I'm unfamiliar with and you've been kind enough not to taunt me or my ilk...once you've had your fill of UG I'd suggest collecting back issues of Famous Monsters of Filmland and Castle Of Frankenstein....even though they were 'overground' publications they do have a hint of the forbidden in them that really appealed to the youngsters of the 60's and 70's...COF especially, because every once in awhile there was a picture of a nekkid lady!  Both were heavy in the RH realm of EFX and that's where I first learned of him, as well as others like him. And sometimes both featured sections on comics and comix. (always trying to bring the diatribe back on course...)