comic shop in detroit

Started by pupirse, June 27, 2008, 06:15:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pupirse

Are there any comic shops in Detroit that anyone can recommend as having a respectable inventory of back issues?
I travel next week to Detroit.

Comix Junky

I hope you havent left yet.
I got these off Google Maps.
Not Detroit addresses. But the first two are actually between the airport and downtown Detroit.
The other two are on the other side of the city. but not any further than the airport is.
I have never been to any of them. But Green Brain has the best website.

Big Ben's Comix
8241 Allen Rd, Allen Park, MI - (313) 382-0700
http://www.bigbenscomix.biz/

Green Brain Comics 
13210 Michigan Ave, Dearborn, MI - (313) 582-9444
http://www.greenbrain.biz

Comix Corner
32004 Utica Rd, Fraser, MI - (586) 296-2758

Comix Corner 
861 E Auburn Rd, Rochester, MI - (248) 852-3356
Collecting is a disease = Obsessive-Possessive Disorder.
---------------
Slabbing Undergrounds is sacrilege.
---------------
The phrase "Action 1 of the Undergrounds"
makes my skin crawl.

Rick Bradford

I think Green Brain is supposed to be pretty alternative / mini-friendly but I don't know what they carry in terms of UGs...
www.poopsheetfoundation.com
mini-comix history, cover galleries, forums, more

dr_s

While we are at it, any comic shops in san francisco with undergrounds? I willbe there Aug 1-9

Comix Junky

What, comic shops in san francisco?  With Undergrounds?

What a silly idea.
Collecting is a disease = Obsessive-Possessive Disorder.
---------------
Slabbing Undergrounds is sacrilege.
---------------
The phrase "Action 1 of the Undergrounds"
makes my skin crawl.

dr_s

I have been going there for over 30 years and haven't found much in the last few. Comic Relief and sometimes Kayo are the only ones I know of. What other ones do you know of.

Rick Bradford

Well, there's Hijinx over in San Jose but I don't really know what they keep on hand. Here's their site: http://www.hijinxcomics.com

dr_s

It would be cool to visit San Jose, but no car for the trip. Musat be SF, Berkley, or downtown Oakland. Forget Donahue. Fogel brought me there but it was a waste of time for me. He didn;t want to sell the good stuff, which he later sold to Neatstuff, and the rest of the stuff was too common.

wpbooks

You might try Amazing Adventures out on Vicente by the beach, but my guess is that Sal won't have anything you'll need, and he'll be asking a pretty penny, but he's about the only guy left in SF that has a consistent stock of UG in SF.  You might also try Al's Comics on Market near downtown.  He just got a nice batch of paper, but he also traded 2 Plymell Zaps recently to Ron Turner for some store stock for an amazingly low amount.  He might have more stuff like that, but it may have been sold already to keep the place solvent.  Might be worth a visit, Dr. S.  Not much else these days....you find much at Kayo?  I gave up on that place long ago, as he puts a lot of that stuff on Ebay these days.  Used to be a good source for UG but mainly pre-internet.  Good luck in SF!

dr_s

I collect other things that ugs, so Kayo always has about $200 for me. Still not like the days of 20 - 30 years ago. As for Sal, we go back 30 years, I forgot about him since he always used to bring me stuff at San Diego. I remember him selling me $2k worth of stuff out of his car trunk when I visited him in SF about 15 years ago $3 Weirdo and Arcade 1s.
I guess my wife and I will just have to visit Issac and annoy him as we have for over 2 decades. I have to check out Al

wpbooks

Dr. S. you should know that Isaac doesn't keep regular hours....I think the neighborhood he is in is finally starting to get to him.  He seems to be open only on Wednesdays (when I work for him) and Saturdays depending on how his mood is and if he feels like running the gauntlet to get to his store.  I very much suggest calling first.  If you come on a Weds. between 12 and 4 I can show you some of the goods, as most decent stuff is either on line or 'on deck' in my little cubbyhole.

Rick Bradford

I feel like I must be forgetting some pertinent information (old age) since nobody's mentioned it but what about Gary Arlington?

dr_s

I though he was in the hospital? In any case, where is his store\ or what is it's name.

wpbooks

Gary is indeed in Laguna Honda Hospital, where he has resided now for almost 4-5 years, it seems.  His store is no longer extant and the whereabouts of his stock/holdings are a bit of a mystery, however his ever faithful colleague St. Clair has assured me they are safe, but he no longer seems to keep track of it...I suspect Spain or maybe even Paul Mavrides may have some inkling of what has happened with Gary's stuff, or if you go visit him, he might tell you himself.  My wife went to visit Gary awhile ago, but she's not really into comics and it never occurred to her to ask.....The name of the store was The San Francisco Comic Book Company, but it's been closed almost 2 years now....possibly longer...it gets harder to keep track of temmporal details when the days kind of blend together...That's why I didn't mention Gary's store...what would have been the point? A sad state of affairs, indeed.

Rick Bradford

Ugh, thanks for the details, WP. I don't remember hearing anything about that but it would certainly explain why I haven't heard (read) anybody talking about the store in the last couple of years.