Mylar

Started by Visitor Q, July 14, 2008, 01:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Visitor Q

My collection deserves the best but $95 bucks for 200 bags and backs for magazines is a lot too pay! I mean I will pay it cause the last thing I want is for my collection to age because of poor storage but man, I cringe every time I have to pick up that phone to order supplies.   

:call: :sad2:

Jason
"Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

Reverend

Do you order E. Gerber supplies? I always cringe around that time, too.

Visitor Q

Yes I do, I order all my supplies from there except for the boxes. Those I just buy the reg. ones at the comic book store.

I buy half backs, mylites 2 and reg. mylar for my tabs..

I bet I am closing in on 1 g in supplies since I switch most of my collection over to it.  :confused5:

Jason
"Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

mrbillscomix

Mylar costs are nuts. I buy all different sizes.  I think the minimum is 50/bundle for the odd sizes.  I like to keep a bundle around in case I pick up something, then I'm covered. Don't forget the cost of your back surgery after lifting those big boxes.  My UPS guy isn't a fan of them either. 

Visitor Q

Yeah they are heavy.

Jason

Comix Junky

Have you compared prices at Bags Unlimited here in Rochester?

http://www.bagsunlimited.com/cart/browse.asp?cat=3
Collecting is a disease = Obsessive-Possessive Disorder.
---------------
Slabbing Undergrounds is sacrilege.
---------------
The phrase "Action 1 of the Undergrounds"
makes my skin crawl.

Visitor Q

Quote from: Comix Junky on July 15, 2008, 10:45:47 PM
Have you compared prices at Bags Unlimited here in Rochester?

http://www.bagsunlimited.com/cart/browse.asp?cat=3

It's funny you mention them as I recall getting their catalog years ago.

Have you purchased Mylar sleeves from them, how's the quality?

Jason

Comix Junky

Sorry, I haven't.
My whole collection is in their regular bags.
Collecting is a disease = Obsessive-Possessive Disorder.
---------------
Slabbing Undergrounds is sacrilege.
---------------
The phrase "Action 1 of the Undergrounds"
makes my skin crawl.

Visitor Q

The good thing for me about E. Gerber is they are in MD and I am in PA, my order takes one day to arrive (more or less).

I like their product and have no reason to shop anywhere else other than maybe cost. With that said, I am one who believes in you get what you pay for (most of the time that is).

Jason

cimmerian32

Have to agree...  E.Gerber is the original and still the best for Mylar...  Speaking of...  Almost that time for me too :(

oldmilwaukee6er

i order my E gerber mylite 2s from *comicsupply.com* in smaller batches
there is also an up-&-coming company called *hotflips* that carries E gerber stuff too.
i generally order Silver/Golds... which are overkill for most u-comix, but occasional older book fits nicely (e.g. FFFB#1).  otherwise it goes in a standard poly-pro magazine bag/board.

i converted to mylar when i moved to Louisiana b/c i was worried about the humidity & temperature changes &
b/c this was the time i began collecting more costly books.
somehow those are the reasons i talked myself into it, but i couldn't REALLY say if it was necessary...
i mean
std bags/boards, if changed regularly (say 5-7yrs), afford a heck of a lot of protection
& i have seen books come out looking & smelling like fresh off the newsstand
after over 12yrs in the same b&b.
so i think part of it is me slipping back into a grade-conscious approach
that same urge that leads me to certification.

but i must say... w/ mylar- the colors pop, the book looks fresher, presents well...
u-comix look killer in mylar! 

oldmilwaukee6er

i guess i also justify it by thinking that i will change the mylar/halfback b&b far less frequently

Visitor Q

Once it's in Mylar I think it is good for life.

Jason