The New Generation, no not New Coke & Classic Coke!

Started by Visitor Q, October 12, 2007, 01:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Visitor Q

So as we all know the late 60s and early 70s produced some of the best comix out there but what about the generation there after? Stuff like Eightball and Hate? How do you guys feel about these sort-of books?

Jason
"Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

over40artist

Eightball and Hate were two of the greatest titles to come out after the classic undergrounds. There are many more like them, but they can't be considered underground for many, many reasons, including (as a relatively minor reason) their wide distribution and support by national publishers. Which isn't a bad thing; only an indication that UGs paved the way for those comic books to reach a much wider audience.

Peter Bagge and Daniel Clowes were brilliant comic creators. To me, they both achieved the same level of artistic achievement as R. Crumb and Pekar, but in different comic book eras.

Visitor Q

Agree.

Peter Bagge is a great artist and a equally amazing writer, a hard road to travel in the comic book world. Although I do like Clowes I find Bagge to be one of my all time favorite artist and writers. He's like the old Simpsons cartoon come to comix with his witty writing style. I simply can't say enough about the guys work, I'm a big fan indeed.

Dennis Worden is another person who did some good stuff too. He was in Weirdo and then went on to produce his character Stickboy in a few solo books. I have spoke with Dennis a great deal of times on the phone, bought original art from him too. I should invite him over to the boards.

Jason
"Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

Brother J

I'm a fan of Dennis Worden's stuff, I have quite a few of his minis, and a magazine sized book he did entitled Slur.

Visitor Q

Quote from: Brother J on November 05, 2007, 10:15:49 PM
I'm a fan of Dennis Worden's stuff, I have quite a few of his minis, and a magazine sized book he did entitled Slur.

Cool! I own the original cover art to Slur. :thumbsup:

That is the first comic he did entirely.

Jason

Visitor Q

Thanks J.

Yeah it's actually funny you mentioned that book because it is at the frame shop right now soon to be framed. I will take another shot once it's done in glass. :icon_winkle:

Jason

Brother J

I just got a piece of original art framed, as well. Not underground related, it's a VALIANT comic, it's the painted art for the cover from Ninjak #26: