Big Ass #1

Started by 50Cent #II (1st print), April 27, 2008, 04:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

50Cent #II (1st print)

You would have thought JK would have noted the 3 different page orders a decade after it came out also?  This wasn't like an obscure Ug title either...

wpbooks

Exactly...was everybody on drugs or something?????

50Cent #II (1st print)

Updated info. we've learned on 05 June 2008.

BA #1 (1st print) Red R. Crumb Box with glossy thin stock cover and pages out of order (All Meat Comics last), pants green/brown shoes.
BA #1 (2nd print) White R. Crumb Box with glossy thick stock cover and pages out of order (All Meat Comics last), pants green/brown shoes.
BA #1 (3rd print) Red R. Crumb Box with glossy thin stock cover and pages now in order (All Meat Comics last), pants green/brown shoes.
BA #1 (4th print) Red R. Crumb Box with glossy thin stock cover and pages still in order (All Meat Comics last), pants green/green shoes.
BA #1 (5th or 6th print?) Red R. Crumb Box continues on all later printings, glossy think stock cover and pages order changed (Mrs. Quiver last) and continues through all later printings, pants greenish brown/brown shoes (Probable JK brown/brown).  Staple placement variant "A" & "B".
BA #1 (6th or 5th print?) glossy thin stock cover, pants green/green shoes.  Staple placement variant "A" & "B".
BA #1 (7th print?) matte cover stock, pants green/green shoes.
BA #1 (8th print?) matte cover stock, pants greenish brown/brown shoes.
BA #1 (9th print) .75 cent cover, pants greenish brown/brown shoes.
BA #1 (10th print) .75 cent cover by Industrial Reality / Keith Green, pants greenish brown/brown shoes.
BA #1 (11th print) $1.00
BA #1 (12th print) $2.50 pants green/green shoes
BA #1 (13th print) $3.95

wpbooks

How did you come to the conclusion about the order of the 1st and 2nd printings? Why wouldn't the white box cover be assumed to be the first, if red box was continued on the subsequent printings?  Somehow white....red...red..red makes more sense then red...white...red...red...red.  Did you glean some new info?  Do dish please...though it does appear that the scans I posted earlier mean I now have a 1st printing according to you.  I just want to know why....dammit!

human

Because I have the original uncut press sheets, and the red box is on the Davidson single, the white box appears on the Ebco reprint.

jdave

50Cent #II (1st print)

Quote from: wpbooks on June 06, 2008, 12:52:14 PM
How did you come to the conclusion about the order of the 1st and 2nd printings? Why wouldn't the white box cover be assumed to be the first, if red box was continued on the subsequent printings?  Somehow white....red...red..red makes more sense then red...white...red...red...red.  Did you glean some new info?  Do dish please...though it does appear that the scans I posted earlier mean I now have a 1st printing according to you.  I just want to know why....dammit!

J. David Moriaty has been posting in the Big Ass #2 thread, if anyone knows he would...

wpbooks

Quote from: human on June 06, 2008, 01:05:24 PM
Because I have the original uncut press sheets, and the red box is on the Davidson single, the white box appears on the Ebco reprint.

jdave

So, now I'd like to know, since you were there, did you guys put these points in to actually differentiate the printings on purpose, or were all these details just overlooked mistakes that got past you....and I'm talking about in general, not just the Big Ass #1?
Is it possible that you all were book collectors and felt that what you were printing was akin to book publishing and that there might be collectors or enthusiasts in the future who might be curious as what constitutes a first printing vs. later printings, editions, etc.  I know that your primary objective was to print, distribute and sell product, but most publishers of books have a way of designating first and subsequent printings and I guess I'm just wondering how much if any of this data was thought out in advance if at all.  Thanks for posting to this forum, as well, as you've made my day now that my BA1 has gone from a Kennedy 5th or so to a bonifide 1st. I'm loving your input....now I have to drag out my FB1 and check it for your details.

50Cent #II (1st print)

So here is the scan of the front and back cover of Big Ass #1 (1st print) from J. David Moriaty.

EggsAckley

J. David, do you remember what the page order was in the first print? I also cannot tell from the scan whether this was a glossy thick or thin  stock cover. Thanks!

human

Glossy 70# C2S.  What's confusing y'all is at one time we scored an entire skid of matte finish cover, what a deal! The artists didn't like it, the ink was glossy but the paper was not and they wanted everything to look like letterpress EC's.

We started Rip Off Press by throwing in $35 apiece as a down payment on a $1000.00 used press (the Printer's Exchange said we got credit cause all 4 were college graduates; what they meant was college grads wouldn't know a piece of junk when they saw it); we raised another $50 among the 4 of us for film, ink and plates. (add a zero to get today's money; $35 was my share of the apartment, bills paid)

So why all the mistakes? We were learning to print on equipment never designed to do that kind of printing. We were investing every dime back into the company, which went from a loft to a 10,000 sqft building publishing and distributing 85 titles of millions of books worldwide in just 5 years, all with bootstrap capitalism, no rich mothers, no trust funds, no venture capitalists, no IPOs. You think we had time to organize?

EggsAckley

Do you remember whether the page orders were correct in the first print & the errors later or vice versa? You should put together something in writing about this whole undeground comix thing before the swiss cheese develops more holes. BTW we all appreciate you sharing your knowledge here at the forum.

50Cent #II (1st print)

Wouldn't J. Dave be the guy to ask about the Motor City Comic #1 (1st print) with the Bob Sidebottoms insert, Dr_S?  Also, We've seen copies of Motor City Comics #1 with and without the yellow layer on on the road on the cover, any info. on this?

http://headcomix.info/forum/index.php/topic,689.0.html

Comix Junky

QuoteWe started Rip Off Press by throwing in $35 apiece as a down payment on a $1000.00 used press (the Printer's Exchange said we got credit cause all 4 were college graduates; what they meant was college grads wouldn't know a piece of junk when they saw it); we raised another $50 among the 4 of us for film, ink and plates. (add a zero to get today's money; $35 was my share of the apartment, bills paid)

Don't lie to me Dave.
I don't know what yer trying to pull,
Maybe you're trying to scam the IRS.
But you can't fool me.
You wasn't as poor as yer pretending,
I got yer ski-matics right here:

Collecting is a disease = Obsessive-Possessive Disorder.
---------------
Slabbing Undergrounds is sacrilege.
---------------
The phrase "Action 1 of the Undergrounds"
makes my skin crawl.

Comix Junky

Ah...
You know i was just making a joke, right?

JDave?...

Collecting is a disease = Obsessive-Possessive Disorder.
---------------
Slabbing Undergrounds is sacrilege.
---------------
The phrase "Action 1 of the Undergrounds"
makes my skin crawl.

Sir Real

Looked like a joke to me.
Timeo Hominem Unius Libri