vintage 3 and Underground Comix Convention info needed

Started by pupirse, December 04, 2007, 08:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

50Cent #II (1st print)

I see in the first a .75 cent cover price and a date of November 1967 (issue #3) that I added to the Wiki.  Looks like Bode art on the cover to me?

In the second one, could it be the brochure/flier that Rick just had listed on eBay?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Berkeley-Con-76-flyer-HARVEY-KURTZMAN-underground-comix_W0QQitemZ170236919824QQihZ007QQcategoryZ3979QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Reverend

Vintage was a literary magazine that was published at Syracuse University. I'm fairly certain someone mentioned it on the old CPG board at one point in time.

Reverend

I tried to find mention of it (Vintage) and came up with this excerpt from Greg Guma's essay, In the 60s: Education of an Outsider, as follows:

"Predictably, I went the media route with a group of writers, artists and rebels. The magazine I created and edited, Vintage, was actually a potpourri of poems, criticism, jokes, fiction, news, opinion and comics that changed form with each issue. One cartoonist, a married vet who had gone AWOL and been given a psychological discharge, began to create an ornate fantasy world inhabited by creepy-cute wizards and lizards from space. In 1966, Syracuse witnessed the emergence of Vaughn Bode, whose lazy reptiles, buxom cherubs, and brutal machines would reach a vast audience as the underground comic scene exploded."

dr_s

I can't believe, although Jason can, that I misplaced my Vintage 3 since it is the size of a Wilson Portfolio. However it is not the key in the series. V 3 has been on eBay several times usually between $100-$300. However, the 2 is much more important. It came in a box and contained 3 underground comix and several college publications: Vintage, Vintage Literary, a one sheet, Campus Leader with a comic foldout, Bits and Pieces, and a college paper called Sounding Board.

Two of the comics were the rare Machines and Cheech Wizard. However, the gem in a sense was Mucus Man (8 pages in color)
Another to add to your wants. I have seen only one V 2 for sale on eBay. It was missing Mucus Man. The copy I have, and that Kennedy drooled for, was from the Walter Bachner collection. He was a friend of Bode , published the Das Kampf reprint, and had a huge ug collection which I bought in the 70s for $5k. (As a jerk I sold the 2 I now lust for, the spiral bound book of the Bode book plates and the Das Kampf)

Reverend

So, the Syracuse editions of Cheech Wizard and The Machines came with Vintage #2?

dr_s

If you look at the 3rd scan, it lists what was in the box. The 2 Bodes are listed at the bottom. I don't know if they came separately, but they were in the box when I bought it from Walter.

Reverend

Very interesting, indeed. I was not aware of that. Now, I have to wonder if a surplus of them weren't held aside and sold/distributed separately. I've seen the Bode books for sale a bunch of times over the years, but never Mucus Man.

If Kennedy cherry-picked The Being Bag from Bachner before you got to him, how is it that he missed Mucus Man?

dr_s

I may have mixed up my collections Being Bag may have come from the Dave Toplitz or the Shelby kirsch collections. I know Jay hit one of them. I bought each one for $5k each. Dave held back on the Zap 1, but I have a bunch of them at the time. Shelby held back on a Cerebus run. $500 for the set, which I didn't want to pay at the time. Remember, this was 25-30 years ago. Walter was the best, because he had art. $50 a page for most. Got the cover to Arcade 4 by Crumb. He kept pulling out art and I couldn't afford the $500 for the cover to Zap 9. When I went on vacation, he sold it for $125.  %&#$@#$%!!!