Wiki FavIcon

Started by Sir Real, December 12, 2007, 03:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Real

Oh, that's RICH!  I just noticed the favicon for the Wiki.  Wish'd I'd have thought of that.  I'm still trying to figure out what the favicon is of this forum.  I'm sure it'll make sense once someone explains it.

Say, could anyone out there post a hi-res scan of the standard 75¢ comix price sticker?  That may come in handy at some point in the future.  In fact, how about a whole selection of comix price stickers?

Just in case you don't know what a favicon is, its the little icon that gets associated with a website.
Timeo Hominem Unius Libri

Comix Junky

I'm glad you like the sticker.

A Griffin eyeball.
:eye:
It doesn't shrink as well as i'd hoped.

Collecting is a disease = Obsessive-Possessive Disorder.
---------------
Slabbing Undergrounds is sacrilege.
---------------
The phrase "Action 1 of the Undergrounds"
makes my skin crawl.

Reverend

Oddly enough, when using a 32x32 favicon, Firefox doesn't shrink them correctly in the Bookmarks Toolbar, so, in the eyeball's case, you just see the top of his head and arm because it's stretched out to the full 32 pixels. I always use 16x16 for this very reason. Sadly, the eyeball starts looking strange so small.

Sir Real

I'm on Firefox, and it looks okay to me.  Shrunk a bit, but definitely not truncated.

Comix Junky

I learned computing during windows 3.1 daze.
Icons were all 32x32 gif's.
Nowadays icons are 3 images in a gif.  32x32, 16x16, & ?? (i think 64x64?)
I havent kept up. Our icon is only 32x32, and the program has to do the work.
:hhgg:
Collecting is a disease = Obsessive-Possessive Disorder.
---------------
Slabbing Undergrounds is sacrilege.
---------------
The phrase "Action 1 of the Undergrounds"
makes my skin crawl.

Visitor Q

Favicon A? So that's what that thing is called... Looks pretty choice indeed.

Jason
"Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

Reverend

Quote from: Sir Real on December 20, 2007, 03:55:44 AM
I'm on Firefox, and it looks okay to me.  Shrunk a bit, but definitely not truncated.

Oh, it looks normal in the address bar, but when I open up my Bookmarks panel, toolbar or whatever else people may call it, I see only a portion of it.

This is how it looks for me in Firefox 2.0.0.9:

I'm not nitpicking, it's just that I'm a web designer for a university and manage a plethora of websites that all need to conform to a newly-created visual identity system, so I'm something of a nazi when it comes to the finer details across multiple platforms.

Sir Real

Well howyulikedat!!!  I see it that way, too.  Once I open that bookmark panel, that is.

<goosestep>
Well, since you're the self-proclaimed web-nazi, how about a helping hand?  Or at least general instructions and/or an instructional link?
</goosestep>

Sometimes I'm my own best comedian!

Seriously, something instructional is preferred by myself.  I'd rather learn than be catered to.

On a side note, where would a 32x32 favicon be useful?

Oh, and Jason?  That's supposed to be "Ay", not "A".

I must be in a mood or sumthin.

Sir Real

Quote from: Sir Real on December 12, 2007, 03:24:16 PM
Say, could anyone out there post a hi-res scan of the standard 75¢ comix price sticker?  That may come in handy at some point in the future.  In fact, how about a whole selection of comix price stickers?

I'm just gonna bump this request again.  I've done a fairly exhaustive, and limited, search for images of these old stickers.  Nothing I find, can I.

C'mon, there's got to be a least a couple of you kind folk out there that can provide such scans.

Reverend

How was the ico file created? Did you create it to be multi-resolution?

A 32 x 32 icon would be preferable when dragging a bookmark to the desktop, where it would be displayed as such. It's 16 x 16 in the browser itself.

Reverend

As for how to do it, I use Photoshop for just about all graphic work unless, of course, I'm working with vectors, so short of recommending plugins and pointing you toward tutorials on how to create 16- and 256-color multi-resolution icos, it's really quite simple and painless to use one of the online generators. If I'm not mistaken, this one does multi-resolution: http://tools.dynamicdrive.com/favicon/.