credit where credit is due

Started by Rick Bradford, December 20, 2007, 06:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Bradford

I'd like to suggest contributors to the wiki make a point of crediting the source of their scans and information.

This is noteworthy to me, of course, because (while looking for missing covers) I came across some of my scans and a bit of information from a couple of my eBay listings. I did find one (so far) entry that credits where the scan is from but I do think this is something to be more diligent about.

At the least, when it comes to an auction description or other data (page count, dimensions, etc.), if a contributor is going to rely on someone else's information then I would think it'd be in the wiki's best interests to make it clear that the contributor hasn't actually verified the information (if they haven't).

I'm sure in some cases it's difficult to know where an image or data came from because it was grabbed from the Web before the wiki was even started or other such scenarios but then you run into the problem of using someone else's material without permission.

What do you guys think?
www.poopsheetfoundation.com
mini-comix history, cover galleries, forums, more

Rick Bradford

On a related note, I'm planning to submit some scans. Any objections to using scans with a non-obtrusive watermark? I've recently begun watermarking my scans so there's no way around it, I'm afraid. (I haven't been keeping two versions of each scan).

Also, I always leave a border around the stuff I scan (so all edges of the book can be seen) -- would you prefer I trim those off before submitting?

Reverend

I was wondering if that's why you started watermarking your scans. I see that the scan of Snuk Comix in the wiki is of my particular copy, taken from the "other" forum, but not credited--not that I require credit; I'm merely observing.

Personally, I don't mind a non-obtrusive (i.e., semi-transparent) watermark. Also, I'd rather see the white space around the comic itself so that all of the edges are in clear view. Some comics were poorly cut, so one edge, usually the top or bottom, is on an ugly slant. Keeping the additional padding, if you will, ensures continuity across the board.

Visitor Q

The Wiki is an open format so if something needs correct, please feel free to do so.

Rick,

Just post a test scan up here if you want and we can give you our opinions but from the sounds of things, that seems just fine.

Jason
"Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

oldmilwaukee6er

it is just good practice to cite one's work.  without a doubt. 

50Cent #II (1st print)

It's up to the poster I guess, but it would be good practice agreed.  I don't mind if anyone uses any of my scans for either forum, I don't need any credit myself (after all I just scanned them, I didn't draw the cover myself).  But if you want to use my text that I've done research on then I would like credit of course.

Comix Junky

Credits and watermarks are very good things. They help keep people honest.

Showing the edges of the book is good too.
But please keep the white space to a minium.
An ebay digital photo that's 40% tabletop, is just a waste of server space and bandwidth.

And you can crop the plastic slab and lable, that's just bragging.
Collecting is a disease = Obsessive-Possessive Disorder.
---------------
Slabbing Undergrounds is sacrilege.
---------------
The phrase "Action 1 of the Undergrounds"
makes my skin crawl.

Reverend

There shouldn't be much more than 10-15 pixels of padding on each side, as far as I'm concerned.

Rick Bradford

Quote from: Reverend on December 20, 2007, 06:27:40 PM
I was wondering if that's why you started watermarking your scans.

Well, not because of the wiki specifically -- honest! I had been thinking about -- but avoiding -- watermarking for a long time, just hadn't done it. I finally figured out an okay way to do it a few weeks ago but I only noticed the scans here a few days ago.

Since the scanning, descriptions and other data are part of what I'm doing for a living I'm somewhat protective of them. They involve a certain amount of work and I'd hate to be later accused of stealing someone else's information because it was actually mine that was borrowed and used somewhere without my knowledge.

I appreciate the feedback, guys. I was a little worried that the notion might seem really ridiculous to others and also that I might be coming across as a jerk (sometimes I don't know it).

Here's an example of my watermarking:

Visitor Q

I personally am totally fine with that.

Jason
"Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."