Standardized Wiki Entries

Started by Sir Real, January 04, 2008, 02:23:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Real

I've been fine-toothing the Wiki, going through each and every entry, correcting formatting errors and the like.  I've sort of developed a format that I think looks pretty good.

Then I went to add the new Harold Hedd cover, and found that not only was it already added, but that the format had been subtly changed!

<deep breath>

Maybe we should discuss, and finalize, a format we can all be happy with.  I've created Wiki page for discussion.  It's just a first draft.  I can add lots more.

Adding a New Comix Data w/Thumbnail
Timeo Hominem Unius Libri

Comix Junky

Collecting is a disease = Obsessive-Possessive Disorder.
---------------
Slabbing Undergrounds is sacrilege.
---------------
The phrase "Action 1 of the Undergrounds"
makes my skin crawl.

pupirse

i would prefer some more space between every printrun.
2 blank lines
\\
\\
instead of only one

Sir Real

Quote from: pupirse on January 04, 2008, 06:48:41 AM
i would prefer some more space between every printrun.
2 blank lines

Okay, I can deal with that.  However, (and this had occurred to me just when I started this thread) by using the Sectioning code for the Edition & Date instead of just bolding...

=== 2nd - January 1972 ===
      vs.
**2nd - January 1972**\\

...it does give you more vertical space.  With this extra space, maybe only a single blank line ( \\ ) would give you the space you'd prefer.  I've played with the template page using both the double & single lines.  Right now its changed for the sectioning and single line space between printruns.

Go ahead and modify it.  We can use it to test out various points and changes, and present it as examples 'n stuff.

Oh, and just in case you didn't know, to display the code as an example, add two spaces to the beginning of the line.  That's why the example page shows the code first, then the results of that code.  Was that clear?

Ooh!  I just saw that by using the Sectioning code, the Wiki automatically adds a "Table of Contents" box in the upper right corner of the screen.  I'm gonna have to play/experiment with that for a bit.

Sir Real

Now, while the spaces between printruns are being hammered out, I'd like to discuss the linking thumbnail code...

This is directed at you, Pupirse.  It took me awhile to figure out how your code for the thumbnails could possibly work, but I finally figured it out.  When you linked a thumbnail, it looks like this...

[[{{thumbs:j:jabberwocky.jpg|{{thumbs:j:jabberwocky.jpg}}]]

In Wiki code, a hyperlink is broken down like this...

[[page_name|Displayed Text]]

Wiki page names are converted to lowercase automatically, special chars are not allowed.  The "Displayed Text" after the vertical bar ( | ), is what is shown on the page.  When the text is clicked on, it will take you to the "page_name" page.

Displaying an image/graphic on the Wiki is damn-near the same, only using braces...

{{thumbs:j:jabberwocky.jpg|Rollover Text}}

This will display the JPG image from the thumbs:j folder.  After the vertical bar, you can optionally add any text which will display when the mouse pointer is on the image.

Combining the two will give you an image that can be linked to a page...

[[jabberwocky-1cvr|{{thumbs:j:jabberwocky.jpg}}]]

This will display the thumbnail "jabberwocky.jpg" and link to the page "jabberwocky-1cvr".

Pupirse, the way you are doing it actually creates a page called "thumbs:j:jabberwocky.jpg"  Now, you must admit that a page with this name is a bit misleading.  It isn't a JPG, and it isn't in the thumbs:j folder.  Its just a page name.

Did this make sense?

pupirse

fuck...
i dont know where i get this code.from.:
[[{{thumbs:j:jabberwocky.jpg|{{thumbs:j:jabberwocky.jpg}}]]...
i copy  it frome somewhere from the wiki 2 month ago.

Sir Real

Hey all.  I've been playing with the code a bit, and have come up with another type/format design.  You'll see it on the Tutorial Page, under the title of "Adding a New Comix Data w/Thumbnail Table (testing)".

Have a look and see what'cha think.

Comix Junky

Collecting is a disease = Obsessive-Possessive Disorder.
---------------
Slabbing Undergrounds is sacrilege.
---------------
The phrase "Action 1 of the Undergrounds"
makes my skin crawl.