Wiki Footnotes

Started by Sir Real, June 13, 2008, 03:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Real

Okay, I was mining the wiki:syntax, and I found an interesting piece of code called Footnotes.  You might consider it for the tutorials.

As an example, I added one to the Big Ass Comics (#1) entry in the Wiki.  I choose this one because there has been recent discussion about it.

In the first comment underneath the publisher (Multiple editions published with various print variations.), I added the footnote code.  You'll see it on the page as a small "1)".  If you hover your pointer over it, you'll see a little flyout with text and a link to this forum's discussion about the comix.  I just noticed that, true to footnote style, the same note is at the very bottom of the page.

I thought it was kind of a neat way to back-link the entry to any related discussions.

The code is easy.  Here's the code I added to that particular line...

//Multiple editions published with various print variations. ((Discussion on the [[http://headcomix.info/forum/index.php/topic,636.0.html|Headcomix Forum]]))//\\

I haven't tested it out, yet, but I'm pretty sure it could also be used on images, too.

Wish I could figure out how to change the target of the link itself.  (i.e. _self, _new, _parent, etc.)
Timeo Hominem Unius Libri

Comix Junky

You call this ]]))//\\  easy?
It confuses me. What goes whithin which kind of bracket and in what order.
I can only get it by trial n error. (mostly error)

"Wish I could figure out how to change the target of the link itself.  (i.e. _self, _new, _parent, etc.)"
What? Who?
http://...?

Collecting is a disease = Obsessive-Possessive Disorder.
---------------
Slabbing Undergrounds is sacrilege.
---------------
The phrase "Action 1 of the Undergrounds"
makes my skin crawl.

Sir Real

Yeah, I guess is does look a little daunting.  Still, it's pretty easy once you understand three basic concepts...

Hyperlink Code: (Brackets)
  [[URL or Wiki Page|Text to Display]]

Image Code: (Braces)
  {{Wiki Location of Graphic Image|Pop-up Text}}

Footnote Code: (Parenthesis)
  ((Footnote Text))

In the Hyperlink & Image Codes, you'll see that they're divided into two section by the vertical bar ( | ).  The entire Image Code can be inserted into the second section of the Hyperlink Code.  This results in a clickable image.

[[URL or Wiki Page|{{Wiki Location of Graphic Image|Pop-up Text}}]]

The Hyperlink Code can be inserted into the Footnote Code at any position.

((Footnote Text [[URL or Wiki Page|With Link]]))

As far as an explanation of the Link Target, yeah, that's something that HTML coding can do.  You can define how links will open.  They can open in the same window, into a frame of the window, or open into a whole new window.  I just noticed that the Wiki code doesn't give any options as to how a link is opened.  It's always in the same window.  For links to the Forum (or any external link) I would prefer to open into a new window, leaving the originating Wiki page still displayed.

You can always bypass this lack of ability by right-clicking on the hyperlink, and selecting "Open in New Window".  Or, if you're using Firefox, "Open Link in New Tab".
Timeo Hominem Unius Libri

Comix Junky

Collecting is a disease = Obsessive-Possessive Disorder.
---------------
Slabbing Undergrounds is sacrilege.
---------------
The phrase "Action 1 of the Undergrounds"
makes my skin crawl.