The Last Times (tabloid)

Started by 50Cent #II (1st print), June 02, 2008, 10:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

50Cent #II (1st print)

This arrived today and I'm a bit giddy over it. It's in a lot better condition than what I could have imagined considering it's from 1967, a tabloid, and only had about 500 (200-500 copies of each of the 2 editions) copies more or less printed.
Appears this is 2 issues (or 2 parts of 1 issue and a mini-poster), but it would seem it's 2 issues as they are both labeled .25 cents and only one states "Final Star Edition".  I've been informed there may have been another issue.  The light bluish copy on the left states Fall 1967 and interestingly my (error) copy has 1 sheet = 4 pages in there twice.  The "Head Comix" is lifted from Yarrowstalks #2 "Hey Boparee Bop!" page.  Plymell thinks "the cover to the 2nd "edition" was a magical space train in the sky or something."  The "Final Star Edition" contains lots of art, including a centerfold by R. Branaman, Charles' friend at the time who brought Donahue over to his place and introduced Don to Plymell.
Update: Plymell tells me these are the only 2 editions printed (some of the "Final Star Edition" had various pages of art substituted inside) and the magic space train was actually on the back cover of that issue.  So yes, this is issue #1 and 2 pictured.
I hold this and think about how this must be so rare (about 500 copies total of the 2 editions and how many copies do you think people kept intact if at all?) and that this is actually Plymell's first printed R. Crumb work about 5 months before Zap Comix #1 (1st print) and that it's actually bootlegged/lifted unauthorized R. Crumb artwork by Charles. The Last Times is credited at the back of R. Crumb's Head Comix, so I assumed Crumb gave permission after the fact.

wpbooks

Looks like a great score...your giddiness is spreading! Congrats!!!

50Cent #II (1st print)

Thanks.

And just to add in the light blue one it's Vol. 1 No. 1 (that's Allen Ginsberg on the cover) and has something dated September 8, 1967 and since it's the Fall 1967 issue it's probably safe to assume it was printed in September 1967, this tabloid also has articles "Day The Records Went Up" by William Burroughs and "Notes of a Dirty Old Man" by Charles Bukowski.

The Bukowski article was probably lifted from the Los Angeles underground newspaper Open City that he started to write for that same year (1967).

wpbooks

I think the inclusion of the Bukowski article probably puts it into two major collecting categories.  Buk collectors love finding early obscure appearances of his work, and it sounds like you have one in spades!

50Cent #II (1st print)