Old Contest

Started by 50Cent #II (1st print), April 23, 2008, 11:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

50Cent #II (1st print)

To try to get members to search through their Underground Comix collection to search for undocumented reprints or reprint cover "tells" to add to the Wiki, I'm sponsoring a HeadComix.info contest.  1st place is a nice American Splendor #1 (approx. 8.0? unread copy, looks like a 9.0) and 2nd place is a Funny Aminals (approx. 7.5-8.0 unread copy?).  All the winner has to do is pay for shipping via Paypal (1st class is like $3.00-3.50 within the U.S.).  There must be at least 3 contestants (with at least valid contributions each), the most undocumented reprints of Underground Comix or cover "tells" wins.  Check the FUG update thread or other threads here, UGComix.info, the CPG Underground forum or the FUG or Kennedy guide.  If it's not listed in any of those then it's valid.  Contest ends the day before the San Diego ComiCon starts in July 2008.  Hopefully these prizes will make it worthwhile.  (P.S. Now that I have a large stock of Underground Comix, please e-mail me your want lists, as I search through the stock I can keep an eye out for the holes in your collection.)

I case of a tie, then I'll decide which contestant's contribution was more notable (IMO).

50Cent #II (1st print)

Scans of the prizes coming up...

Visitor Q

WOW! AS #1, that's a nice prize.

Jason
"Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

ProJunior

Quote from: 50Cent #II (1st print) on April 23, 2008, 11:39:57 PM
To try to get members to search through their Underground Comix collection to search for undocumented reprints or reprint cover "tells" to add to the Wiki, I'm sponsoring a HeadComix.info contest.
Don't know if this counts or not, but I have a 12-pager called Hail, Hail Shlock 'n' Roll! A Celebration of Bad Taste, Excess & Decadence in Rock 'n' Roll Music.  The contents have various dates but the latest is 1996 so I assume that's when it came out.  It's not in the Wiki or FPG & of course is too recent for Kennedy.  Don't know how this would be classified, tho.  And BTW, what's a "tell" anyway?  Is it something that "tells" you which printing of an issue it is?

-Projunior
Are we part of the moral potential being made complete on the pitchfork of Elmer Fudd?
- Chuck Moulton

50Cent #II (1st print)

That's interesting, but the contest is looking for "undocumented reprints or reprint cover "tells" to add to the Wiki" from the Underground era which many consider 1963-1967 to 1976 (but also to 1982 when the JK was printed).  The contest is trying to uncover reprints that JK missed that had already come out.  ie., a 9th print to Snatch #3 would qualify.  A "tell" is something like on the Mr. Natural #1 (1st print) that shows it's only on that printing.  On that issue, the bottom of the cover is blank thin line that goes up slightly near the spine.  Just to let you know, I've found approx. 2 dozen that would apply so I know there are many out there.

50Cent #II (1st print)

Someone had a good entry last week and now I can't remember which post it was?

Brother J

Quote from: 50Cent #II (1st print) on May 21, 2008, 01:13:04 AM

The newly identified printing of the Food Stamp Gourmet was the last thing I saw that you mentioned seemed like a good entry for your contest.

Sir Real

Quote from: Brother J on May 21, 2008, 03:09:08 AM
Quote from: 50Cent #II (1st print) on May 21, 2008, 01:13:04 AM

The newly identified printing of the Food Stamp Gourmet was the last thing I saw that you mentioned seemed like a good entry for your contest.

I concur!!!
Timeo Hominem Unius Libri

50Cent #II (1st print)

Food Stamp Gourmet by wpbooks.  Although RV pointed out that he wrote about it in the Spring 1992 issue of CounterMedia it was documented, but since nobody here could remember it or knew about it then I say it's still a good entry.

ProJunior

Quote from: 50Cent #II (1st print) on May 21, 2008, 01:07:10 AM
That's interesting, but the contest is looking for "undocumented reprints or reprint cover "tells" to add to the Wiki" from the Underground era which many consider 1963-1967 to 1976 (but also to 1982 when the JK was printed).  The contest is trying to uncover reprints that JK missed that had already come out.  ie., a 9th print to Snatch #3 would qualify.  A "tell" is something like on the Mr. Natural #1 (1st print) that shows it's only on that printing.  On that issue, the bottom of the cover is blank thin line that goes up slightly near the spine.  Just to let you know, I've found approx. 2 dozen that would apply so I know there are many out there.
Gotcha.  Thanx for the explanation.  I was somewhat confused.  <g>

-Projunior
:01_bounce:
Are we part of the moral potential being made complete on the pitchfork of Elmer Fudd?
- Chuck Moulton

wpbooks

Quote from: 50Cent #II (1st print) on May 21, 2008, 11:53:16 AM
Food Stamp Gourmet by wpbooks.  Although RV pointed out that he wrote about it in the Spring 1992 issue of CounterMedia it was documented, but since nobody here could remember it or knew about it then I say it's still a good entry.

The info wasn't in either the Kennedy Guide, Fogel, or The Underground Checklist, and I'm not sure how widespread info from Countermedia is, considering Fogel's guide, which would have come after Countermedia, made no allusion to the different points/editions. But, I'll understand, as I stumbled onto the point quite by accident when a Food Stamp Gourmet crossed my path.......

wpbooks

.  A "tell" is something like on the Mr. Natural #1 (1st print) that shows it's only on that printing.  On that issue, the bottom of the cover is blank thin line that goes up slightly near the spine.  Just to let you know, I've found approx. 2 dozen that would apply so I know there are many out there.

Not to wax too pedantic, but what you refer to as a 'tell', is actually referred to as a 'point' in bookman's lingo.  Like the point on a first edition, first state dust jacket for Thomas Pynchon's V is it's lack of endorsements on the back cover.  A second state dj has them, so the point is the lack thereof....To me, a 'tell' is a term as used in the film, House Of Games, where Joe Mantegna explains to Lindsay Crouse that Ricky Jay's tell is that he twists his ring when he is bluffing....but I get your drift and if it becomes the UG'er's word of choice then who am I to disagree.

Reverend

A tell could also be KGB eating Oreo cookies in Rounders.

wpbooks

zonker

Quote from: wpbooks on May 25, 2008, 03:23:18 AM
.  A "tell" is something like on the Mr. Natural #1 (1st print) that shows it's only on that printing.  On that issue, the bottom of the cover is blank thin line that goes up slightly near the spine.  Just to let you know, I've found approx. 2 dozen that would apply so I know there are many out there.

Not to wax too pedantic, but what you refer to as a 'tell', is actually referred to as a 'point' in bookman's lingo.  Like the point on a first edition, first state dust jacket for Thomas Pynchon's V is it's lack of endorsements on the back cover.  A second state dj has them, so the point is the lack thereof....To me, a 'tell' is a term as used in the film, House Of Games, where Joe Mantegna explains to Lindsay Crouse that Ricky Jay's tell is that he twists his ring when he is bluffing....but I get your drift and if it becomes the UG'er's word of choice then who am I to disagree.

Having been a printer for 35 years, it's ironic i didn't know of that use of "point".
I'm sure i'm responsible for creating my share of them.
But i never sold or collected books.
To me "points" are a type size. 72 of em to an inch.

I'm gonna take credit for introducing "tell" to comix collectors.
Back in '99 i needed a word for it when i was building UGcomix.info.
"Tell" is a poker term.
But i'm not a poker player either, I first heard (i think) or at least first heard it explained in the aformentioned "House of Games". (heard it many times since).
I didn't think "tell" would catch on... Cus i never bothered to explain it.
I always thought there had to be an existing term for it. And eventually somebody would tell me the real one.

thanks WP.