Let's figure out this Freak Brothers #1 print run...

Started by 50Cent #II (1st print), February 22, 2008, 03:16:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brother J

Quote from: 50Cent #II (1st print) on February 22, 2008, 04:43:00 PM
FB #1 (17th print) 1982? (UGComix.info & JK 15th print) $1.25

(front similar to 15th print, but with "FREAK No. 1 BROTHERS" added, Blue added to the tire, Yellow around Police added and Black $1.25 in yellow circle)

(back with white dots? or White Stars?)

Here's a front cover picture of the $1.25 printing, it's currently on eBay.

human

I have the following UK editions.

All mine were published by Knockabout although I understand earlier UK editions were published by Hassle Free Press.

1 1.25 UKP
5 1.25 UKP
7 1.25 UKP
9 1.50 UKP

Earl (From CPG)

50Cent #II (1st print)

I thought the Knockabout editions started with the 1.50 prices, would like to see scans posted if you have them Earl.

Reverend

I'd have to check my copies, but the £1.00 version of #1 may have been the first Knockabout printing, but understand that Hassle Free Press and Knockabout are the same thing, just a name change.

50Cent #II (1st print)

Quote from: Brother J on February 24, 2008, 10:33:23 PM

(front similar to 15th print, but with "FREAK No. 1 BROTHERS" added, Blue added to the tire, Yellow around Police added and Black $1.25 in yellow circle)

Thanks Brother J, I have scans for most of these already but just posted the ones that were nice a big that I thought would be good for the Wiki.

A large scan of the back cover would help find out if the flag has White Dots or White Stars though.

Reverend

Now that I think of it, the £0.95 cover may have been the first Knockabout printing.

50Cent #II (1st print)

This helps for the info.  Please post scans.  Perhaps there is a difference between it stating Knockabout on the cover like the 1.50 and the earlier Hassle Free Press that don't state on the cover and then the Knockabout's that don't state on the cover?

Reverend

With each new printing the cover price was raised. The remaining stock of the previous printing was then stickered over to reflect the new price. Sometimes you'll see stickers with a handwritten "Knockabout" or "Knock-About" on them. As a matter of fact, I even have the last HFP printing of a particular issue (#4, perhaps) that had been stickered "Knock-About." There weren't multiple versions of like cover prices. That information came directly from the man who published them.

Brother J

Quote from: 50Cent #II (1st print) on February 25, 2008, 02:03:29 PM
Quote from: Brother J on February 24, 2008, 10:33:23 PM

Thanks Brother J, I have scans for most of these already but just posted the ones that were nice a big that I thought would be good for the Wiki.

A large scan of the back cover would help find out if the flag has White Dots or White Stars though.

Do you not have this printing? If you're interested in the one on eBay, I can send you a link to the auction.

50Cent #II (1st print)

Thanks, but I've seen it.  This info. is going by the scans I've already got and the already known info.  I can't afford to purchase anything else not essential and if I have any extra funds I'd probably put it to the FB #2 research.

50Cent #II (1st print)

You guys have any issues not scanned that you can scan the front and back of?  For example the back of the German edition or a few more?

50Cent #II (1st print)

Well, after going over the Slow Deaths #3, 4 and seeing that some have this washed out look to the blacks and recalling that "TreeLover" had stated that their was actually 2 printings the to gray tire version of Freak Brothers #1(one printings had the wall all black with no orange box on the DD press, the other had 2 covers per print, one with the orange box, one without not done on that one-up press), and him mentioning that the first print of Big Ass #1 was also done on a one-up DD press, I examined my copies today.  First I think we can examine what seems to change between these copies, the yellow building with fire escape.  Some copies have the building gray over yellow with the black fire escape, some have the fire escape almost washed out by the gray (my copy has the blacks looking watery, like washed out water color black). My guess would be that the washed out ones might be done on a less technical one-up press (just a guess)?  So between my copies I've noticed that the washed fire escape one has the gray on that yellow building smooth and no dots (like pixels on a monitor) making up the gray.  My copy with the orange box on the wall, has the fire escape easily visible under the gray of the yellow building.  As you can see, that copy clearly has dots (like pixels on a monitor).  How about you others with copies examine yours and see what you find?  Let's see if we can figure out the true first print of FB #1, shall we?

ProJunior

Quote from: 50Cent #II (1st print) on February 28, 2008, 01:33:30 PM
You guys have any issues not scanned that you can scan the front and back of?  For example the back of the German edition or a few more?
Here's a scan of my own copy of the German ed.  (I used to be able to read German pretty well at one time.)  Don't know which printing this is, tho.
-Projunior
:01_bounce:
Are we part of the moral potential being made complete on the pitchfork of Elmer Fudd?
- Chuck Moulton

50Cent #II (1st print)

Thanks, yes they used the back from a #2 for the German edition, it's already posted here though.

ProJunior

Quote from: 50Cent #II (1st print) on June 04, 2008, 10:33:04 PM
Thanks, yes they used the back from a #2 for the German edition, it's already posted here though.
Oh, OK.  From your previous msg. I thought it wasn't.
-Projunior
Are we part of the moral potential being made complete on the pitchfork of Elmer Fudd?
- Chuck Moulton