What's a good con to sell undergrounds?

Started by over40artist, August 06, 2008, 01:39:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

over40artist

I've been looking for a good comic con for selling UG books before the end of the year. I figure APE in S.F. is the best, but I am also looking at Charlotte, Philadelphia and Dallas. Anyone know how those cons would do for selling (probably the more people attending, the better). Or do you have any other suggestions for cons between mid-October and mid-December?

Looking to sell about 10 short boxes of mostly UGs. A lot of commons and some mid-keys with a few nice keys thrown in.

Brother J

ooh, do Philly, so Visitor Q and I can pillage your books! Maybe even the Doctor would make the trip.

Reverend

I'd drive out just to meet you all! (I have to conserve my spending.)

Visitor Q

Philly gets my vote but hey, you got a list?

Jason
"Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

Brother J

Quote from: Reverend on August 06, 2008, 09:07:30 AM
I'd drive out just to meet you all! (I have to conserve my spending.)

oh yeah, I forgot, you're not that far, either!  :thumbsup:

EggsAckley

trunch59

The Berkeley Con would be IDEAL, however...

Brother J

Quote from: trunch59 on August 06, 2008, 01:54:47 PM
The Berkeley Con would be IDEAL, however...

Not for those of us on the East Coast, it wouldn't.

I think a good con to sell at would be the National in New York City in November. I might be going again this year, it was a pretty good show last year.

Brother J

Quote from: EggsAckley on August 06, 2008, 11:27:46 AM
When is the Philly con?

I think the biggest one would be Wizard World Philadelphia, which already has happened this year. If there's any other large ones, I'm not aware of them. There is a show by the Philadelphia Airport every other month, but it's a small show.

50Cent #II (1st print)

Does the Berkeley Con still go on?  I searched but didn't find anything...
I think WonderCon in S.F. is in February.

over40artist

Quote from: Brother J on August 06, 2008, 02:48:06 PM
Quote from: EggsAckley on August 06, 2008, 11:27:46 AM
When is the Philly con?

I think the biggest one would be Wizard World Philadelphia, which already has happened this year. If there's any other large ones, I'm not aware of them. There is a show by the Philadelphia Airport every other month, but it's a small show.

Yeah, I thought there was a big Philly con in October, but it turns out it is on August 31 and it is not so big after all. There's a good web site for comic cons that has a nice calendar of cons, which is where I learn about all the whens and wheres:
http://www.comicbookconventions.com/conventions.htm

So, Philly is out because the big one isn't until June of next year. I need mid-October to mid-December. The Berkeley con is better known as APE (Alternative Press Expo) and it is the one I would want to go to the most (Nov. 1), but it is 2,000 miles away and I have to drive to bring all my boxes.

Philly and New York are both 1,000 miles away, so that makes them a two-day trip (and about $500 in gas). Charlotte is 630 miles and Dallas (Wizard World) is 460 miles, so they make it easy to get to. There's two Atlanta cons (380 miles), but one is a one-day show and the dealer tables are sold out. The other is the Atlanta SuperCon and it makes sense. Three-day show and I guess it is pretty big. I can squeeze into a little six-foot table for $200.

There's a Pittsburgh con that looks intriguing, though then I'm back up to 770 miles. Don't know if it'll be worth the drive and the expense. Don't know if ANY of them will be worth the drive and expense.

Dallas might make the most sense, and Rick B. lives within biking distance of Arlington Convention Center. I sent him a PM and an email, but haven't heard back from him yet. Thought about splitting a booth with him ($850!) but don't know if he wants to lay out that kind of lettuce for a show.

Maybe I should just go to Nashville (200 miles) for the Comic & Horror Festival in mid-October. Booths are only $150, which gives me a lot better shot at profits. I have a friend in the area I can stay with for a couple nights.

So really, it's probably Dallas, Nashville or Atlanta.

I will post a partial sell list in the appropriate forum sometime in the near future.

Brother J

I'm just wondering how well you will do at a comic show selling undergrounds. I'm sure the Dr. does well when he sets up in San Diego as that is a big show and there are probably quite a few fans of undergrounds there. However, I think at most other shows, your customer base is going to be pretty small. Even the National, which was a pretty good sized show in my opinion, didn't seem to have much interest in undergrounds. Kim Deitch, S. Clay Wilson and Spain were guests, but it looked like they didn't get a whole lot of patronage. Also, there was supposed to be an underground comix panel, but it was apparently cancelled.

bdcues

When I do the show in Seattle, which is 2 days and costs about $320.00 for tables/$140.00 hotel/$120.00 gas/$70.00 food and gross about $1500.00.... Not going to get rich quick.

wpbooks

I think your notion of APE being the right place for your wares is spot on....it is after all, the ALTERNATIVE Press Expo, and what's more alternative than UG....people are there looking for those kinds of thrills and being that the show is in SF, you get folks like S. Clay Wilson, Spain, Trina and others showing up...I think last year Justin Green was there as well as Spiegelman....it's win/win with the UG scene in dreary SF in the late autumn...so come on over and show us what's you gots!

trunch59

Sorry to say, but there is no longer a Berkeley Con.