What's a good con to sell undergrounds?

Started by over40artist, August 06, 2008, 01:39:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

over40artist

Quote from: trunch59 on August 06, 2008, 11:04:50 PM
Sorry to say, but there is no longer a Berkeley Con.

You're right, trunch, the true Berkeley Con is no longer with us. The closest thing (by far) to that legendary con is the APE.

over40artist

Quote from: Brother J on August 06, 2008, 09:06:42 PM
I'm just wondering how well you will do at a comic show selling undergrounds. I'm sure the Dr. does well when he sets up in San Diego as that is a big show and there are probably quite a few fans of undergrounds there. However, I think at most other shows, your customer base is going to be pretty small. Even the National, which was a pretty good sized show in my opinion, didn't seem to have much interest in undergrounds. Kim Deitch, S. Clay Wilson and Spain were guests, but it looked like they didn't get a whole lot of patronage. Also, there was supposed to be an underground comix panel, but it was apparently cancelled.

I think you are right, Bro J. There is a very small group of UG fans at most con shows. The Dr. told me it was tough for him to make a profit even at the Philly con. All of your posts are making me reconsider doing any shows at all.

over40artist

Quote from: wpbooks on August 06, 2008, 11:04:11 PM
I think your notion of APE being the right place for your wares is spot on....it is after all, the ALTERNATIVE Press Expo, and what's more alternative than UG....people are there looking for those kinds of thrills and being that the show is in SF, you get folks like S. Clay Wilson, Spain, Trina and others showing up...I think last year Justin Green was there as well as Spiegelman....it's win/win with the UG scene in dreary SF in the late autumn...so come on over and show us what's you gots!

With the possible exception of the APE. No doubt, this is where it's at for UG fans and other kinky kinkos, even more so than San Diego, I think.

I would have to forgo bringing 10 boxes and driving. I'd have to fly and just bring 2 or 3 boxes of my best stuff in a large, well-padded suitcase (with my key high-grades in carry-on). The flight alone is just over $400 and then I'd have to find lodging (hint hint). I can get a tiny little table for $150.

Hmm, I'd have to do really well with some of Donahue's file copies to make that worth my while. Would I do better on Heritage auctions, you think? I guess I'd be more certain of making sales.

Kind of crazy going to a con to sell 2 or 3 short boxes of stuff. Unless every comic in the boxes is worth $75+ retail, like mine could be.

50Cent #II (1st print)

You could ship them to your hotel or place you're staying via Fed-Ex or UPS ground a week before.

over40artist

Quote from: 50Cent #II (1st print) on August 07, 2008, 12:36:03 AM
You could ship them to your hotel or place you're staying via Fed-Ex or UPS ground a week before.

That's a good idea, 50c. I just gotta figure out what makes monetary sense at this point. Thanks.

50Cent #II (1st print)

Wasn't really my idea, I believe that's what Dr_S does for the SDCC.

over40artist

Smart people must think alike.

Either that or dumb people have really good ideas at the same time.

I'll go with the former.

bdcues

Taking 2 or 3  long boxes plus luggage plus baggage stroller onto the plane is expensive now. You will pay an overweight fee that makes it more ecconomical to ship them to where you are going or to someone that is going there by truck. Plus, when you get off the plane all you have to worry about is whether your bags made it to the same place you did... and not worry about where your books are.

bdcues

Another problem with the airlines is baggage security. They can open your books and who knows how well they will be retaped and sealed or if they will all be there.

wpbooks

Yes, those security folks are well known perverts and fetishists, and you're liable to end up with a batch of soiled UG where the pages all stick together....if they don't end up keeping them for their "private" use.....

dr_s

There are realities about shows. Postage.-- a 40 pound box is about $40 by Fed ex or Ups ground. maybe higher. (That's one way) Table cost to a big show is $$$. San Diego is sold out already. Then there is the tax permit and the $100-$200 nominal payment. Help if you need it is $$. Hotels are $75-$200 a night. In NYC try $300. Then you have to get the books to and from the show. Blah balh blah. This year, IF YOU EXPECT LESS THAN $5K DON'T DO IT UNL;ESS IT IS A LOCAL SHOW. San Diego sucked for me. However, I treat it as a vacation, advertising and buying show. So a low year doesn't kill me. Make up a price list of you books and send it out to member who want it. Also, figure out a wholesale price for the junk and for all of it. Maybe come up with prices for the keys or ebay them. Ebay may or may not pan out on keys depending on who is bidding. If i had a sure fire way of selling ugs, i would do it myself. It's hard work my lad.

50Cent #II (1st print)

I was told last week that the SDCC show is sold out, but if you buy a booth at WonderCon then you can apparently still get a booth at SDCC.

Rick Bradford

Does anybody here go to APE? Are there usually any UG dealers tabling?
www.poopsheetfoundation.com
mini-comix history, cover galleries, forums, more

wpbooks

Fogel used to have a table at APE, (I think that guy that used to post on here, jim1968, was his partner because I recall getting a Bijou #1 from him at Fogel's table a few years ago...but that could have been Wondercon and it's all a blur...), and Comic Relief usually brings their UG collection, and occasionally you find the odd box here and there, but there's not much so you could almost corner the market if you bring a batch. 

50Cent #II (1st print)

Comic Relief was at SDCC and had a nice selection of Ug's.  I heard the the original owner recently passed.