What's a good con to sell undergrounds?

Started by over40artist, August 06, 2008, 01:39:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wpbooks

Quote from: 50Cent #II (1st print) on August 08, 2008, 04:57:54 PM
Comic Relief was at SDCC and had a nice selection of Ug's.  I heard the the original owner recently passed.

I heard it was unexpected and while he was in the hospital for something fairly minor and not life threatening.  He was a pretty good guy when you'd run into him at his store or at cons, and I think he was really into UG....I hope the people running his store now have the same attitude towards our beloved obsession!

Brother J

I've never been to one of the APE shows, but I always figured it was probably mainly artists hawking their independent books and minis and that type of thing, I didn't even know if they had dealers there.

wpbooks

Your visualization of the show is pretty much right on, but there are dealer/publishers there like Last Gasp, Fantagraphics, Drawn and Quarterly, Top Shelf and regular dealers like Comic Relief, Lee's Comics and some others, but it is mostly self-publishers selling their wares....but it keeps getting bigger and bigger.  I've gone to the last 10 or so and it's almost exponential the way it's increased each year.  You might do ok just by virtue of the size of the thing and because you'd have scant competition...but you might also find that the 'collector' market is not the key factor at this type of con, and folks may balk at paying collector prices, especially if they aren't in the know....but speculators of all stripes are everywhere, and some lurk at APE looking for the next hot artist like a Chris Ware, Dan Clowes or even an R. Crumb....and don't forget there's the guy who specializes in Jack Chick tracts and all related Chick material...I love his table and always pick up the new stuff he has...talk about Underground/Alternative.  It's a great show and even if you don't exhibit, you should check it out...lot's of cool stuff you don't see elsewhere, to be sure!