New York Big Apple Con.

Started by Visitor Q, November 08, 2007, 06:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Comix Junky

Collecting is a disease = Obsessive-Possessive Disorder.
---------------
Slabbing Undergrounds is sacrilege.
---------------
The phrase "Action 1 of the Undergrounds"
makes my skin crawl.

Comix Junky

---------------
---------------
makes my skin crawl.

Comix Junky

---------------
---------------
makes my skin crawl.

Comix Junky

---------------
---------------
makes my skin crawl.

Sir Real

I hear ya.  It's kinda creepy with no activity at all today.  Is the BACon this weekend?

<heh heh> bacon
Timeo Hominem Unius Libri

Comix Junky

Yeah.

Maybe i'll go next year.
It's only 6 hours away.

Couldn't afford it this year.

:wolfie:

Maybe i should change the permissions.
Let the bots fill it with spam, just sos we look busy.

:icon_weed:

And pissing off UMB would be fun.

---------------
---------------
makes my skin crawl.

Brother J

here I am, still at the con, wanting to go home but I can't because Amtrak is having problems. First of all, I didn't get to see anyone from the board. I apologize for that, but the VALIANT comics stuff took up a lot more of my time than I thought it might.

I got to talk to S. Clay Wilson and Kim Deitch. I bought a copy of "2" and had Wilson sign it for me. He was selling old comix, mainly the smaller size books, later printings. Spain was sitting right next to him, but he appeared to be busily working on a piece of art so I didn't bother him.

The next day (Saturday) was both good and bad. The good thing was I got to talk to Kim Deitch, and it was a fairly long conversation. He was a real nice guy. I took a picture of him which I'll post when I get home. I bought the newest issue of Mineshaft and a signed copy of Banzai! from Kim.

The bad thing was the underground comix panel was apparently cancelled. Not sure what happened but it must happen a lot as the 2nd VALIANT panel for today was cancelled.

I got some good deals on undergrounds and also had a good discussion with a comic dealer about the books. He was glad to have someone who knew something about undergrounds to help him identify some of his books. On the last day, all of his books were 50% off, so I got a nice group of books from him. I'll list them once I get home.

Anyway, not the best report, but the best I can do now. I am completely exhausted having not slept well at all in the crappy hotel bed. Can't wait to get home, I'm going to sleep for two days!

Visitor Q

Ok... I'm back as well.

Crazy you had train trouble because I did as well. The train I was on broke down on the way to the convention; I was stuck on the tracks for over an hour!

To me the convention sucked. I had a pretty shitty time myself. The fucking thing was packed, I just went on Saturday. I spent most of my time visiting with the different artist as I have spoke to Kim Deitch many times on the phone before and this was the first time I got to meet with him in person. I have also been in contact with Wilson for the last year or so on the phone so it was "interesting" to meet him too. Needless to say he was pretty much hammered when I met him; you could literally get drunk off his breath! He signed all my books for free which he told me he would do when I spoke to him last on the phone so I can tell you that he is a man of his word. However he would not sketch shit for me even when I offered him money... I just think it was the wrong day to be honest with you. The funny thing was he really had some nasty shit to say about Ron Tuner, I guess they had a falling out or something. I mean his new book is not published by Last Gasp. So in my price guide where there is a picture of him and Turner he drew a bullet hole in Turner. LOL! It's a good story and all but if you saw how he drew it, well it does not make much sense unless you know the story. (I'm shaking my head)

Spain was very nice and signed all my stuff for free. I spoke to him once through email but not well enough for him to know who I was like Deitch or Wilson. I did give him 10 bucks to toss two sketches in two of the books I brought... Not bad. Kim signed tons of stuff for me and did some sketching in a few of my books. I did buy a print from him and gave him a little extra bread to throw a boarder on it. I have an animated cell from a thing he did for MTV and I think it has to do something with it... Check out the picture below.

Mark Bode was very nice, first time I met or spoke with him but I would have to say without a doubt... Hands down on of the nicest people and artist I have ever met was Sergio Aragones from MAD, an extremely nice and warm person. I really can't say enough good things about him.

I did not see shit as far as Underground Comix went at the convention but then again I was not really looking too closely for them. I was more or less there for the meet and greet with the artists. The coolest thing I did see the original art (in color) for Wonder Warthog #1 (Magazine). Even got to hold it in my grubby little hands and when I saw the price of it I about drop it... $12,500! Yes, 1 2 5 0 0! Two zeros people. It was extremely nice and I wish I would have taken a picture but for that price, forget it!

I'll get some pictures up soon.

Jason
"Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

Visitor Q

"Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

Sir Real

Even though the Con was not the best of experiences for you guys, I still envy you all in meeting these iconic comix artists.  I always feel like such a stupid fan-boy when I see them at cons.  I never know what to say.  I usually end up standing there, watching them for a few minutes, and then move on.

Maybe I'll do better at San Diego next year. :drool:
Timeo Hominem Unius Libri

Visitor Q

Yeah man, I understand... I can get a little star struck at times too.

Kim and Wilson I have know prior to the show but this was the first time I got to say hello in person.

Jason

ps. Here's a picture of Wilson doing some C. Demon sketch for some little girl there. I think he must have known her Dad or something because she looked like she was about 6... I did not read what it said on it but I was perplexed by it since I could not get him to do shit for me. :icon_scratch:

Brother J

Brother J

Quote from: Sir Real on November 19, 2007, 07:45:21 PM
Even though the Con was not the best of experiences for you guys, I still envy you all in meeting these iconic comix artists.  I always feel like such a stupid fan-boy when I see them at cons.  I never know what to say.  I usually end up standing there, watching them for a few minutes, and then move on.

Maybe I'll do better at San Diego next year. :drool:

Hey, I was even more envious of you guys that made it to San Diego this past year. That's the REAL underground comix show.