Deadworld

Started by over40artist, August 02, 2008, 03:42:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

over40artist

Inspired by the Caliber Presents thread, I thought I would gather your thoughts on Deadworld. The original launch of the series is now over 20 years old, but the recent (3rd) iteration of the series by Image Comics demonstrates there is still considerable interest in the story.

I own the entire original series from Arrow and Caliber (first printings with the "mature" covers). Not only is the story gripping (at first), but it is fascinating to witness the series implode after it moved to Caliber after the ninth issue. Completely misguided and mismanaged, alienating their own fans, introducing new characters; a classic tale of comic book self-immolation.

But damn, it sure started fine! The mature covers are some of the finest horror artwork I've ever seen. Vince Locke was a master at replicating the moody innocence and tension of a B-movie slasher flick. The shame is that the story began so strong and sucked you in, and then you keep coming back for more and the plot line becomes diluted and wandering. It was like the people who controlled the book wanted to extend it forever to make more money, when it probably could have been wrapped up in 12 or 15 issues (and be hailed as an all-time classic horror comic book).

Visitor Q

Vince Locke artwork is awesome. I have a signed Deadworld portfolion by him and I love his work for the band Cannibal Corpse, he did a lot of their cover art.

The new series sucks ass, other than the few covers that Vince did I'd say it has lost it's charm. No doubt brought it back from "the dead" because of all the recent zombie movies.

Some things are better of left dead.  :11:

Jason
"Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

zazz

I loved that Deadworld series! At least the Arrow issues! Kirkman's "The Walking Dead" is a pretty good read. Early issues are a bit high.