Heavy-Duty Comics #1 (U.K.) "Fritz the Cat"

Started by 50Cent #II (1st print), December 29, 2007, 05:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

50Cent #II (1st print)

This one really seem interesting to me.
One reference I found states 1965 (but I think this might just be a copyright mark for the original Fritz the Cat art) and another states Winter 1972 which I think is correct.  Anyway it appears to be an early U.K. UnderGround containing Fritz the Cat "Fritz Bugs Out" story.  Anyone know anything about this comic, could this be the first Fritz the Cat story printed in the U.K. even with the Winter 1972 date (does 20 pence figure into this time period)?

The only reference I could find anywhere to the is comic is here (with the 1965 reference from a guy in Rotterdam):
http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:c94_lYggwOsJ:thebeachboys.forumsunlimited.com/index.php%3Fact%3Dfindpost%26pid%3D6838+%22Heavy-Duty+Comics%22+1+Fritz&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

Seems this may be a rare item if I can't find any other references to it, unless someone knows more?

50Cent #II (1st print)

Reverend has pointed out to me that this is a U.K. bootleg and that there was a #2 and I think it was titled Fritz the Cat #2 (that also contains a Corben story).

He's also pointed me to a great R. Crumb site showing many International covers...
http://web.comhem.se/~u87009323/

Reverend

Definitely early '70s. If I can dig my copies out of the box they're in (which I should be getting around to soon, now that my 2000 A.D.-size bags finally arrived), I'll let you know what it says.

On a side note, if anyone comes across a copy of the British Snatch #1, I'm paying a hefty sum for it. This is what it looks like:

50Cent #II (1st print)

I was just admiring the U.K. Snatch #3 with the Jizz cover on the site...

You might want to post this in the Wanted section.

50Cent #II (1st print)

Nice copy arrived today and just wanted to note that this item is Oversized, just barely fits in a magazine sized bag (slightly taller and wider than a mag. backing board).

Reverend

It's A4-size, as most British undergrounds are.

50Cent #II (1st print)

OK, didn't know that, it measures 11.4" x 8.4".  It's actually bigger than the Nasty Tales though which measures 11" x 8.1"

Reverend

If you want to be precise, A4 is 8-1/4" x 11-3/4", but it fluctuates. I have some comics that are larger than that. I buy bags from a dealer in the U.K. that are specially made for (old size) 2000 A.D. comics and have E. Gerber cut custom boards for them.

50Cent #II (1st print)