Shortcomings of the Red Banana

Started by 50Cent #II (1st print), April 16, 2008, 08:04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

50Cent #II (1st print)

Received my items from Roger May today.  Included was a copy of "the Shortcomings of the Red Banana".  Oddly when I checked the Kennedy it says that there was 112 copies signed and numbered on white guts.  My copy is on Orange paper (throughout) and has no signature and is not numbered so I suspect this may be a 2nd print.

Also came with another MiniComix by Roger May not listed in the JK called Book Nook.

dr_s

I could swear that mine is red. How can you tell a 2nd print, since Roger seems to be duping a lot of stuff. Do they say 2nd print or anything? (I am talking about all of the issues that are copies like Dental Hygiene.)

50Cent #II (1st print)

It doesn't signify a 2nd print, but I'm just saying it's probably a later printing or a duplicate since there is no number or sig. and JK states white guts (but with MiniComix, isn't a dup. a later printing?)  But it was purchased from Roger May so it's at least a "file copy".

Brother J

Quote from: dr_s on April 16, 2008, 08:51:37 PM
How can you tell a 2nd print, since Roger seems to be duping a lot of stuff. Do they say 2nd print or anything? (I am talking about all of the issues that are copies like Dental Hygiene.)

Is he printing out new copies of these and not mentioning they are not vintage?

50Cent #II (1st print)

Doesn't look new, so maybe it was done a while ago?

Comix Junky

8 pages, 4-1/4 x 5-1/2
Means it was printed (or xeroxed) on a single sheet of 8-1/2 x 11 and folded.
As many minis were.
Some minis were also printed on pre-collated carbonless paper.
The kind of paper that forms are printed on. Top sheet is white, middle sheet yellow, bottom sheet is pink. (for 3-part) (Thicker forms have more colors)("Collect Them All")
That 50cent has an orange one, Dr-s has a red one, and JK saw a white one, suggests that maybe JK didn't realize it was on carbonless paper.
OR... that a counterfiter didn't know that they WERN"T on carbonless paper.

One of the reasons i don't collect minis is that the're so easy to counterfit.
Another is that i hate this "multi-color" gimic to sell more copies.

Collecting is a disease = Obsessive-Possessive Disorder.
---------------
Slabbing Undergrounds is sacrilege.
---------------
The phrase "Action 1 of the Undergrounds"
makes my skin crawl.

Reverend

I know Roger May. He's a really nice guy, however, he is notorious for reprinting his minis many times over. Making matters worse, he doesn't add notation. The version you have is a Xerox reprint that he probably did a couple of years ago.

Brother J

Quote from: Reverend on April 17, 2008, 10:12:53 AM
I know Roger May. He's a really nice guy, however, he is notorious for reprinting his minis many times over. Making matters worse, he doesn't add notation. The version you have is a Xerox reprint that he probably did a couple of years ago.

That sucks, I know minis are easy to copy, but I have to think these guys realize the collectibility of these. If you want to do a reprint, I think you owe it to the people who bought it the first time to make it easy to tell which is a later printing.

50Cent #II (1st print)

The question is, is Dr_S' copy signed and numbered.  He could have one of the later printings/reprints if not.

dr_s

I know I saw it recently when I was going through boxes for the A titles. But where it is now is a good  question.

Reverend

Quote from: Brother J on April 17, 2008, 11:33:36 AM
Quote from: Reverend on April 17, 2008, 10:12:53 AM

That sucks, I know minis are easy to copy, but I have to think these guys realize the collectibility of these. If you want to do a reprint, I think you owe it to the people who bought it the first time to make it easy to tell which is a later printing.

One would think so. What Roger May does, in some cases, is add some lettering that says, "2nd Printing, May 1980," or some such, but then leave the same text on the third, fourth and fifth printings. I've seen so many variants of his comix that I don't even bother collecting them anymore.

Rick Bradford

Quote from: Comix Junky on April 17, 2008, 03:52:59 AM
One of the reasons i don't collect minis is that the're so easy to counterfit.

It's a legitimate concern although I don't think I've ever heard of it happening (except perhaps during the B&W of the '80s thanks to all the brainless speculators -- early TMNT, maybe).

If the minis-as-collectibles interest ever gets any higher off the ground then I guess the potential for bootlegs might rise. Which, of course, means it's a really good idea to document as much post-Kennedy printing info as possible. But, man, what a task...

It would also mean that all those publishers who routinely signed and/or numbered their minis would probably have a greater chance of not being successfully counterfeited. I do hope it never comes to that though.

QuoteAnother is that i hate this "multi-color" gimic to sell more copies.

I don't know, a "gimmick" implies underhandedness or trickery. The collectors/fans themselves decide whether or not they want any, some or all variations of a particular book. If it's a gimmick to offer four variations to the collectors who must have all variations then it's a gimmick to print the book period (meaning, the collector buys whatever they like to buy, right?).

I know what you mean though -- like all those metallic, embossed crap covers from Marvel in the '90s. Yecch.

I published a new Steve Willis mini last year on four different colors (25 copies on each) but I was giving it away.
www.poopsheetfoundation.com
mini-comix history, cover galleries, forums, more

dr_s

Jason sent me on a quest to find Jesus.

Which I did, $100 bucks Jason (HEH HEH HEH). However, I also found salvation. I had a Red Banana in my sale box. 
I may have been saved, since I know I have a red one and probably thought this copy was a dupe.
The lord works in mysterious ways.

50Cent #II (1st print)

Original version is .15 cents, mine is .25 so there was a later "printing".

50Cent #II (1st print)

Nice score on the Jesus, been looking for a copy myself (along with Rev.).