Slow Death #4

Started by 50Cent #II (1st print), May 25, 2008, 06:12:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

50Cent #II (1st print)

I suspect this is the back of the true 1st print of Slow Death #4 (the fronts appear the same except for maybe the inks being less vibrant/more muted).
Please note the yellow box at the bottom right and the lower orange box on the left side "The Hashman" that goes over the yellow frame, not like those on the suspected 2nd and later prints.

mrbillscomix

That's interesting... I didn't notice that before on my copies... Thanks for the info!

50Cent #II (1st print)

No problem, thanks for the post.

over40artist

Excellent tell, 50c.

But how do you really know the 1st print is really the 1st and the 2nd print is not actually the first? After all, everything else appears to be identical.

By the way, I think you are right, but I'd like to hear your reasoning.

human

The $1.00 (and .75 cent?) later printing appears the same on the back as the "2nd" print pictured above.  I think that's way, looks to have been corrected after the first printing.

over40artist

Okay, that is good evidence. The "corrections" are clearly modifications to the printing plates that would have been much more likely going from 1st to 2nd than the other way around. In other words, it's much easier to eliminate where ink is printed than to add areas for ink to be printed.

Sir Real

Aaarghhh!  You guys are killin' me.  How many more of my 1st's are you gonna shoot down?

Seriously though, good footwork.
Timeo Hominem Unius Libri

50Cent #II (1st print)

Quote from: human on June 09, 2008, 11:53:17 AM
The $1.00 (and .75 cent?) later printing appears the same on the back as the "2nd" print pictured above.  I think that's way, looks to have been corrected after the first printing.

This is correct.

Thanks everyone.

Comix Junky

I beleave you're right about the printing order.

But i want to clear-up some assumptions as to how.

"... clearly modifications to the printing plates..."
By "modifications" you mean "new plates".
These are changes that could only be made in the paist-ups or negitives. (i think negatives)

"...it's much easier to eliminate where ink is printed than to add areas for ink to be printed."
Adding image(s) requires re-making the plate.
Removing image(s) is not very clean or acurate.
Altering images on the plate is messy and not worth the troubble.

Offset printing plates are made of aluminimum sheets. about the thickness of beer cans.
The non-image areas are bare aluminum. Image areas are a coating (added photographicly).
(think of the printing on a beer can)
A hard rubber eraser can be used to erase the coating off a plate. (i have not tried this on a beer can)
So you can change
printing no. 5 4 3
to read
printing no. 5 4
but not
printing no. 5 4 3 2
If you erase too hard, you could scratch the surface of the plate so that the scratches pick up ink and leave marks on the sheet.
printing no. 5 4 #"   (Good Luck getting a stright line)
Forget changing "Printing no. 8 "  to "Printing no. 3 ". Looks possable, but ain't.

Since the orange box has stright sides, it must have been changed earlier.
Probably on the red negitive, with tape.

Collecting is a disease = Obsessive-Possessive Disorder.
---------------
Slabbing Undergrounds is sacrilege.
---------------
The phrase "Action 1 of the Undergrounds"
makes my skin crawl.