Black and White thread.

Started by 50Cent #II (1st print), May 31, 2008, 01:34:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

50Cent #II (1st print)

Post 'em here...

I'll start with saying that I've been informed that the JK 1st print without the copyright wasn't produced and might have been a JK checksum.

There was at least 2 printings of the .75 cent printings (one has glossy blacks on glossy paper and one has muted colors and on a thinner glossy paper).

50Cent #II (1st print)

Regarding Black and White Comics, I've examined my approx. 2 dozen copies and this is what I've found.  The .75 cent printing had at least 2 printings, one with glossy slightly thicker cover paper, more vibrant colors and (a later?) one with glossy thinner cover paper and muted colors, you can easily tell them apart by the cent symbol after the 75 on the cover.

Regarding the earlier .50 cent printings (19 copies), they all have the same staple distance apart, so it's difficult but...

Looking on the back I've notice something that makes me believe there might have been at least 3 printings (probably on the same press and same binding machine).  It has to do with the yellow on the back and the cover paper.  One printing seems to have slightly thicker glossy cover paper (interestingly the sky on the front cover of all these slightly "thicker" covers is a light blue, all the others have a darker blue sky which could be due to how the paper absorbs the ink?) and all those have the yellow and red ink on the back cover (at the edge you can see the hint of yellow next to the red inks, giving the red back cover a slight orange tint), problem with this is that some of the paper covers seem thinner, so I can't be sure the paper thickness is a definite sign of anything, but the back yellow is something to be looked at.  Some copies have the yellow and red not blending.  And some copies have no yellow on the back cover yet there is yellow on the front so I don't think it's a printing defect.

There is one group that has no yellow on the back cover and one where the yellow and red don't mix well so it appears both yellow and red colors when it should just be a slightly orange tint red.

There's is differences on the tint of the street also on the front cover.

I can't tell if these are just variances in printings or not, but here's how I see it.

1 printing? has slightly heavier glossy cover paper, the sky on the front is light blue and the back cover has both yellow and red ink evenly blended to appear a slightly orangish red ink (slim yellow edges probably apparent, most apparent between the upper middle boxes in the scan below).

The other two printings have thinner glossy paper than the above "printing".

1 printing? or variant of earlier printing that has thinner glossy covers, sky is darker blue on front cover than those of thicker covers and has both yellow and red ink evenly blended on back cover to appear slightly orangish red ink (slim yellow edges probably apparent).

1 printing? that has thinner glossy covers, sky is darker blue on front cover than those of thicker covers, back cover has yellows and reds not blending well, showing both colors (most noticeable at the lower left corner).

1 printing? that has thinner glossy covers, sky is darker blue on front cover than those of thicker covers, back has only red and black ink (no yellow)

See below.

50Cent #II (1st print)

wpbooks

Thank you for the details. As usual, you go above and beyond!