PGX doesn't take off for price stickers I guess?

Started by 50Cent #II (1st print), December 15, 2007, 10:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

50Cent #II (1st print)

over40artist

The bigger question is why anyone would slab #9.

dr_s

Someone with too much money or a dealer trying to get 10 times guide. (and they do get multiples) As for PGX, not only did they identify a newspaper guts cunt as a first but they graded it 9.5 when I think CGC might have gone 8 With the sticker, CGC wold have said apparent 9.,6 and had a green label. (The did this on a 9.2 Snatch 1)

Reverend

Perhaps it was someone who was putting together a graded run for their own enjoyment. Then again, perhaps not. There are a couple of series that I love so much that I've decided to put together a slabbed, high grade run, even on books that aren't that rare. With that said, I see some graded comics that make no sense whatsoever, like a beat-to-hell copy of some 3rd print slabbed at 4.0 and being sold on eBay.

Visitor Q

Does PGX break down their grading or do they keep it to themselves like CGC?

Jason
"Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

over40artist

Quote from: dr_s on December 16, 2007, 11:08:54 AM
As for PGX, not only did they identify a newspaper guts cunt as a first but they graded it 9.5 when I think CGC might have gone 8.

Arnie, I believe a newsprint guts version of Cunt was in the first printing. The white paper guts version (100 or so copies) was also in the first printing. The first printing had both newsprint and white paper guts. This was reported by Kennedy and confirmed by Donahue.

dr_s

When I bought it, the dealer said it was the white guts which it was not. (IHe was nice enough to return my money with out any issue.)The CGC version said white pages.  I just checked Kennedy and he speaks of 2 versions with the white cunt at a much higher price. (I think, since I really can't read the small print any more.) In any case, I don't like PCX grading standards and they should have said newspaper print on the label.

over40artist

Oh yeah, I remember that one. I finished second in the bidding to you and when you returned it the seller tried to sell it to me. He didn't know I had heard about the guts from you on the CPG board and I declined the purchase.

I agree, the white pages and newsprint versions should be noted on the slab label.

oldmilwaukee6er

the sticker question is interesting... did they not take off for it?  they may have... it could have been a higher grade and they knocked off 0.2 or 0.4 for the sticker, or they simple did not discount for it.  PGX does not use a "green qualified label" as does CGC.  i don't recall what CGC has done in similar situations (RE stickers on U-comix). 

note that PGX has not identified the printing of this book.  PGX is pretty much at a loss to determine printing (even w/ the two guides out) unless you spoon-feed them the printing information with citations in your initial submission. 

as to why to slab #9... i have found that it is slightly harder to find NM or better copies of #8-10 (Idiot's Abroad), which is a popular storyline abroad & b/c Donahue was out of nice copies the last few years.  i mean... you used to be able to buy NM-NM+ copies of #3-5 all day long from Donahue... but for myself, it took a few years to find copies 9.2 or better for #8-10.  perhaps the best chance for them was at this years San Diego convention and the Fogel Rip Off Press backstock. 

50Cent #II (1st print)

I keep my PGX (identified as a 1st print) Mr. Natural #1 4th print as a novelty for this reason.

wpbooks

as to why to slab #9... i have found that it is slightly harder to find NM or better copies of #8-10 (Idiot's Abroad), which is a popular storyline abroad & b/c Donahue was out of nice copies the last few years.  i mean... you used to be able to buy NM-NM+ copies of #3-5 all day long from Donahue... but for myself, it took a few years to find copies 9.2 or better for #8-10.  perhaps the best chance for them was at this years San Diego convention and the Fogel Rip Off Press backstock. 

[/quote]

Also, isn't it only the first printings of 8-10 that are in color.  I bought them when they originally came out, but when I was at a comic store and saw them on a shelf a few years later, I was surprised to see the guts were black and white. Though, having said that, there could have been multiple printings between when I first purchased them and when I saw the B&W issues, making my whole argument/observation moot.

Visitor Q

Quote from: over40artist on December 16, 2007, 04:40:54 AM
The bigger question is why anyone would slab #9.

Going back here I think the question is rather why would anyone slab anything?

Jason
"Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

Reverend

Some people enjoy the peace-of-mind that having a professionally-graded comic affords them. They have put their faith in the grader(s) and have accepted the grade for what it is. With that comes a certain sense of safety, not to mention satisfaction.

Ultimately, "to each their own" is what I say to this tired, circular conversation.

Comix Junky

Quote from: Reverend on May 06, 2008, 11:21:38 AM
Some people enjoy the peace-of-mind that having a professionally-graded comic affords them. They have put their faith in the grader(s) and have accepted the grade for what it is. With that comes a certain sense of safety, not to mention satisfaction....

And most people are comforted by the thought that their
big brother is watching
over them.

Collecting is a disease = Obsessive-Possessive Disorder.
---------------
Slabbing Undergrounds is sacrilege.
---------------
The phrase "Action 1 of the Undergrounds"
makes my skin crawl.

Reverend

Quote from: Comix Junky on May 06, 2008, 11:55:04 AM
Quote from: Reverend on May 06, 2008, 11:21:38 AM
Some people enjoy the peace-of-mind that having a professionally-graded comic affords them. They have put their faith in the grader(s) and have accepted the grade for what it is. With that comes a certain sense of safety, not to mention satisfaction....

And most people are comforted by the thought that their
big brother is watching
over them.

Yes, the 1984/George Orwell analogy is very much the same thing . . . I really hope you're being facetious.