The Grades

Started by 50Cent #II (1st print), May 22, 2008, 03:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

50Cent #II (1st print)

Comic Grading

10.0   (GM)      Gem Mint
9.9   (M)      Mint
9.8   (M/NM)      Near Mint/Mint (Mint -)
9.6   (NM+)      Near Mint +
9.4   (NM)      Near Mint
9.2   (NM-)      Near Mint -
9.0   (NM/VF)   Very Fine/Near Mint
8.5   (VF+)      Very Fine +
8.0   (VF)      Very Fine
7.5   (VF-)      Very Fine -
7.0   (VF/Fi)      Fine/Very Fine
6.5   (F+)      Fine +
6.0   (Fi)      Fine
5.5   (F-)      Fine -
5.0   (Fi/VG)      Very Good/Fine
4.5   (VG+)      Very Good +
4.0   (VG)      Very Good
3.5   (VG-)      Very Good -
3.0   (VG/G)      Good/Very Good
2.5   (G+)      Good +
2.0   (G)      Good
1.8   (G-)      Good -
1.5   (Fr/G)      Fair/Good
1.0   (Fr)      Fair
0.5   (P)      Poor

ProJunior

Speaking of grading, I'd be interested to know what people here think of the attached Air Pirates & Tales of the Ozone, #1.  The 2 Air Pirates I got directly from John Thompson about 25 yrs. ago (yeah, THAT John Thompson.  We're both Fresno natives, like K-Fed.  <g>).  They were basically unread AFAIK & I've kept them in plastic bags ever since.  They look real good to me.  Wonder if they'd make near mint?  But speaking of Thompson, I sure wish I had his Fresno Comix.  I lost contact with him some yrs. back & don't know where he is now.  But it'd be worth a pretty penny nowadays, according to the FPG.  If anybody knows where I might track one down for a reasonable price I'd appreciate knowing about it.  Condition doesn't matter.

Secondly, is the Ozone comic.  I've always wondered why #1 is valued so highly whereas #2, which I don't have, is worth very little.  Did the first issue have a low print run or something?  Anyway, would my issue make a VF maybe?  Or just a F+?  Any info appreciated.

-Projunior
:01_bounce:
Are we part of the moral potential being made complete on the pitchfork of Elmer Fudd?
- Chuck Moulton

50Cent #II (1st print)

Air Pirates #1 looks like a 8.0-8.5, still better to have scans of the back though.
Air Pirates #2 looks like a 7.5
Ozone #1 looks like a 5.0

ProJunior

Quote from: 50Cent #II (1st print) on May 22, 2008, 08:24:23 PM
Air Pirates #1 looks like a 8.0-8.5, still better to have scans of the back though.
Air Pirates #2 looks like a 7.5
OK, here's the backs.  And y'know, the FPG prices on these must be really wacked, cuz it gives only $150 & $100 for 9.4 NM copies of these & then in the very next col. it says that the highest prices paid were $1200 & $600.  Somethin' definitely don't compute here!  <g>
QuoteOzone #1 looks like a 5.0
Any ideas on why this one is worth so much more than #2?  Hard to figure.  Anyway, thanx for the input on all 3.

-Projunior
Are we part of the moral potential being made complete on the pitchfork of Elmer Fudd?
- Chuck Moulton

50Cent #II (1st print)

From the back they look in the 7.5 range to me.
Tales from the Ozone #1 is harder to find.
The HRP is usually a one time blip for a very special/unique copy of that issue.  ie, my 9.8 double cover TMNT #3 sold for $1,100 last year, but a double cover of that same issue hasn't sold on eBay for the $75 asking price.

dr_s

In general, a book may have a range of values and then have a hrp much greater. That could mean several things. For example, the common book like the air pirates may sell in the $100-$150 range 95 percent of the time. However, on 1 occasion, 2 novices get into a bidding war on eBay and it goes for $500. Or it could mean that someone who caters to rich customers sold one for that. Or it could mean that a 9,8 (graded) went for that. Or it could mean that  an extremely rare book (Lenny or Lorado Green) sold for that because that's what the seller thought it was worth. The guide is the guide not the bible. Sometimes you can get more, sometimes (Most of the time) you get less. In general, if you have an ungraded book less than an obvious 9, it better be priced at a reasonable price or very very rare to get above guide mint. By the way, for most moderately rare books, dealers usually pay 40-60%. Anything by print mint, last gasp, Kitchen sink, Rip Off, etc are so common (with a few exceptions) that most dealers won't pay more than a $1 or $2 for fine or better copies. If you find one that will pay more , let me know, I have cartons of that stuff to dump.

Reverend

Quote from: 50Cent #II (1st print) on May 23, 2008, 02:49:44 AM
Tales from the Ozone #1 is harder to find.
The HRP is usually a one time blip for a very special/unique copy of that issue.  ie, my 9.8 double cover TMNT #3 sold for $1,100 last year, but a double cover of that same issue hasn't sold on eBay for the $75 asking price.

I disagree about the HRP being for special/unique copies. I've seen so many comics go for 3x, 4x, 5x and more for what they normally go for due to inexperienced bidders warring with each other. I don't think errors (missing colors, duplicate covers, etc.) should really be considered a HRP because those prices are being paid for the rarity of the error itself.

dr_s

While I believe a missing color cover should be 2 to 3 times a regular issue (Except for the Zap 1 which couldn't get $4k) I agree that they shouldn't be in the HRP column.

ProJunior

Quote from: 50Cent #II (1st print) on May 23, 2008, 02:49:44 AM
OK, so since they're 8.5 from the front I'll take an average on that & call them an 8.  Works for me!
QuoteTales from the Ozone #1 is harder to find.
I assume that's because it had a lower print run?  Seems a reasonable explanation.  Either that or lotsa people threw that issue out!  <g>  (Which wouldn't surprise me all that much since the contents aren't all that great, IMO.)

-Projunior
- Chuck Moulton

50Cent #II (1st print)

Actually the grading doesn't go by the average/middle of the 2, but the lower of the 2.

ProJunior

Quote from: 50Cent #II (1st print) on May 23, 2008, 05:03:43 PM
Actually the grading doesn't go by the average/middle of the 2, but the lower of the 2.
Heh.  I didn't say it worked for you or anybody else.  I said it worked for ME!

-Projunior
- Chuck Moulton

dr_s

This is why, on costly books by mail , God created CGC and the Devil PGX

ProJunior

Quote from: dr_s on May 23, 2008, 10:34:17 PM
This is why, on costly books by mail , God created CGC and the Devil PGX
OK, as soon as I find out what PGX actually IS .....  <g>

-Projunior
- Chuck Moulton

50Cent #II (1st print)

Don't bother, he's just a scam artist.

ProJunior

Quote from: 50Cent #II (1st print) on May 24, 2008, 02:00:42 AM
Don't bother, he's just a scam artist.
Um, do you mean that dr_s is a scam artist or that this PGX is not a rating system but an actual person who's a scam artist?

-Projunior
- Chuck Moulton