CGC Graded Underground Comix

Started by EggsAckley, September 06, 2008, 10:13:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zazz

I suppose after the things I read and some of the poking around on the 'Bay, PGX seems to one to avoid for slabbing. I also don't like slabbing, as earlier stated: the comic no longer is a comic at that point.... Turns it into a large baseball card. I was thinking of doing it for a few of my higher grade copies (like you oldm, mostly copies I bought from Donahue), more for the protection of the case than whatever grade they would receive. The main issue I see with CGc is their collusion with Wizard magazine to drive up the prices for mainstream books. Just look at what a CGC 10.0 will bring no matter what it is. However, ya'll's points are taken, PGX is to be avoided.

EggsAckley

Quote from: Comix Junky on September 10, 2008, 07:30:36 PM
"You got me so worked up I want to go out & march in protest like the good old days."

Yeah, if you was around in the  good old daze, you wouldn't be so hot to embalm yer comix.
I know you wasn't around cus "if you REMEMBER the 60's, you wasn't there." :hippy2:

What is this BS you are spewing about "embalming yer comix"? You don't know me (like some other members here do),. You don't have a clue on why I think it is important to encapsulate certain books. I have thousands of undergrounds, some are high grade copies in mylars with acid free boards, some are beat up reading copies & over 100 are CGC certified. You and Visitor Q think graded comix are a joke and/or bad for some unknown reason. Okay, that is your opinion, but what is the basis of that opinion?

Because I was around in the "good old daze" doesn't mean my brain is fried. And yes I did march against the war in 1970. Where were you in 1970? I am sorry I am ranting but I am tired of people who have no idea what they are talking about.  I believe you may think you understand what the underground movement was all about, free speech, equality for all, etc. but you don't apply it to the running of this site. If you two are administrators/moderators, you are welcome to your opinions but don't force others to abide by your beliefs. If that is how you will continue to moderate this site you will lose people who believe in the ideals of what made underground comix so important.

In conclusion, your response to my post was totally unwarranted & certainly not funny.
In the true spirit of the 60's, I hope you leave this post up & let other people respond to my comments. 

bdcues

I for one agree with Eggs and those with humble opinions can stick them up their ass. I was invited, not too long ago, by 50cent to come enjoy the underground forum. The first time I made the mistake of returning an email back to the admin I was cursed out. No "Hi, welcome to my website, this is how we do things". Just dumb fuck, what are you doing. Then I tried to sell a couple of comix in the For SALE section. Suddenly there is a cost of doing that with very rude postings about paying. No "thank you" when there was paying. Along the way there was the inevitable "I should get to buy these cheap because I am a collector" As if the world should stop on your account. No one here is looking for reading copies only and no matter how much you spout about you just want to read/collect it, your all looking for higher grade copies - because they will be worth more later. And then, you go off on Slabbing. Of all the arrogant bull shit. Can't read them? BREAK THE FUCKING PLASTIC, DUMB SHIT. I for one believe that everyones time is worth money. If someone goes through the time and expense of changing the bag every few years the comic will survive better ( instead on here I here about how fucking expensive bags and boards are ) as with slabbing except you don't have to go back every few years and change the bag. You should all be happy that the price of undergounds is going up. That the venue you love has worth to more people. That it is remembered and cherished. With that brings higher value. If you cant afford to collect than don't whine about the rising costs, find a new hobby. One you can afford without whining. So, now we have Trusted Dealers. What? I am not trusted? Fuck you. You talk about the 60's. I guess your idea was that only a few could partake, not that it was a community thing. I came here looking for informative discussions about ug comix. I found that and a bunch of 4 yr olds, bickering about rising costs, who want to use a guide to price things knowing full well the prices are incorrect in many cases, accusing others of religious indeceny for slabbing comixs and relagating all but a chosen few to thief status. If you think that is what ug comix and the 60's was about then your right, you have done too much acid and your brain is totally fucked and so is your website. Your so worried about someone profitting off your website yet you provide a spot for them to do just that, Than when they use it you tax them. Oh, the 60's never had it so good.
  So, it's your site. You can have it any way you like. I for one am tired of what I see, regardless of how much good information I can gleen.

Brother J

Quote from: bdcues on September 10, 2008, 11:19:21 PM
I for one agree with Eggs and those with humble opinions can stick them up their ass. I was invited, not too long ago, by 50cent to come enjoy the underground forum. The first time I made the mistake of returning an email back to the admin I was cursed out. No "Hi, welcome to my website, this is how we do things". Just dumb fuck, what are you doing. Then I tried to sell a couple of comix in the For SALE section. Suddenly there is a cost of doing that with very rude postings about paying. No "thank you" when there was paying. Along the way there was the inevitable "I should get to buy these cheap because I am a collector" As if the world should stop on your account. No one here is looking for reading copies only and no matter how much you spout about you just want to read/collect it, your all looking for higher grade copies - because they will be worth more later. And then, you go off on Slabbing. Of all the arrogant bull shit. Can't read them? BREAK THE FUCKING PLASTIC, DUMB SHIT. I for one believe that everyones time is worth money. If someone goes through the time and expense of changing the bag every few years the comic will survive better ( instead on here I here about how fucking expensive bags and boards are ) as with slabbing except you don't have to go back every few years and change the bag. You should all be happy that the price of undergounds is going up. That the venue you love has worth to more people. That it is remembered and cherished. With that brings higher value. If you cant afford to collect than don't whine about the rising costs, find a new hobby. One you can afford without whining. So, now we have Trusted Dealers. What? I am not trusted? Fuck you. You talk about the 60's. I guess your idea was that only a few could partake, not that it was a community thing. I came here looking for informative discussions about ug comix. I found that and a bunch of 4 yr olds, bickering about rising costs, who want to use a guide to price things knowing full well the prices are incorrect in many cases, accusing others of religious indeceny for slabbing comixs and relagating all but a chosen few to thief status. If you think that is what ug comix and the 60's was about then your right, you have done too much acid and your brain is totally fucked and so is your website. Your so worried about someone profitting off your website yet you provide a spot for them to do just that, Than when they use it you tax them. Oh, the 60's never had it so good.
  So, it's your site. You can have it any way you like. I for one am tired of what I see, regardless of how much good information I can gleen.

wow, so how do you really feel about it?  :icon_eek:

Seriously, I agree (mostly) with the last two posts. What is with all the "rules" here? You apparently have to be some kind of "trusted dealer" to sell stuff here. What does that entail? I guess it means you have to donate cash to the site? First of all, I'm not selling undergrounds, but if I was and had to pay to sell stuff, I think I'd rather sell it on eBay since there's a much larger market to sell to there.

The anti-slabbing stuff is retarded, as well. What's wrong with getting what you paid for? Buying raw off eBay or anywhere else where you can't look at the book before buying, and you're always running a huge risk that the NM book you paid NM prices for is actually a VG. I generally don't buy slabbed books, but I understand why some others do and I don't feel the need to rip them constantly like some do.

oldmilwaukee6er

Quote from: Comix Junky on September 10, 2008, 07:30:36 PM
"You got me so worked up I want to go out & march in protest like the good old days."

Yeah, if you was around in the  good old daze, you wouldn't be so hot to embalm yer comix.
I know you wasn't around cus "if you REMEMBER the 60's, you wasn't there." :hippy2:

ad hominem... when you can't attack the argument, attack the man (in this case by undermining his 'credibility.')

oldmilwaukee6er

trusted dealer = kickbacks... for the cause bra (c'mon)!

oldmilwaukee6er

& finally we HAVE to put to rest this notion that slabs are unreadable... simply not true.  especially w/ undergrounds of all comics... where books were reprinted up 20 times in some cases.  how many copies of the same book do i have to read to get into the cool kids club!?

i for one have popped approximately 5 slabs to read a book or to double check something.  it's a simple, well-described process, & while it destroys the slab, the comix are fine.  $11 reholdering fee & some care is about all it takes to return it to 'embalmed.'  i mean sure, i am not reading my 9.8s... but i am likely not reading my top raw copies either (unless it is the only one). 

can't we at least agree to disagree (officially) on this one??  and stop the locking/trolling/censoring of topics on the subject?

these boards are better served IF they remain wide-open & less OVERLY mod'd (IMHO).  i thought that was the whole point.  & BTW this was my point in starting the very first thread in this topic area (graded comix suck)... before it was locked. 

Sir Real

Timeo Hominem Unius Libri

Visitor Q

Trusted Dealer are approved dealers of this site that have contributed by donating either there time (other than posting) or made finical donations to this site. This site does not run for free, you are aware of this?

Maybe there is not so much of "set rules" in place unless you are a collector looking to do a little selling here or there, do not link to dealer sites or please at least try to keep in to a minimum. It is not fair to the trusted dealers.

Thanks.
Jason
"Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

EggsAckley

Jason, it would help if the trusted dealers were offering more for us to consider purchasing. Jay has posted a couple of interesting items. 50 cent has given an inventory list. The good doctor has yet to post anything for sale (coming in August 2008). I am pretty sure that Jay & Guy have no graded comix. The doctor has a couple out of a massive inventory. So the link for CGC graded comics for sale should have no effect on the trusted dealers. So why are you making such a big deal about it? Maybe one of the trusted dealers complained to you about the link? If not, maybe you should ask them it if bothers them. Knowing him, Jay probably doesn't care. Guy doesn't care because I asked him. I haven't asked Arnie, but he would probably want the link because he is always looking for items for resale. I don't know Zonker so I have no idea what he thinks.

Thank you for editing the previous post & removing what you originally said about what we can do if we don't like your rules (yes, I read it before you edited it). That shows you are beginning to think more like a moderator/adminstrator than letting your emotions control your words.

Brother J

Quote from: EggsAckley on September 11, 2008, 02:34:00 PM

Thank you for editing the previous post & removing what you originally said about what we can do if we don't like your rules (yes, I read it before you edited it). That shows you are beginning to think more like a moderator/adminstrator than letting your emotions control your words.

hmmm, I would have liked to have seen what we could have done if we don't like the rules...

over40artist

Personally, I think if you have to contribute money to be a trusted dealer, then you aren't really to be trusted anyway, since you could just buy your way in. But in general, we all know each other on this site and I would essentially trust anyone that is a regular contributor here.

I donated $10 to this site and I didn't have anything to sell at all; I just wanted to chip in because I thought the site was a good idea. I don't regret that, and I don't begrudge anyone their opinion. But I have to agree with Eggs and bdcues that I expected this site to be a little more freewheeling than it has turned out to be. If the underground was about anything, it was about breaking the fucking rules and spitting in the face of convention.

By having "trusted dealers" and forbidding links to dealer sites (especially those that offer collectors an opportunity to either buy or sell high-grade slabs), this place just becomes more like CPG and other places that clamp down on emerging marketplaces on the net.

I do know Eggs and he told me about the Pedigree site just before he posted about it here. I know Eggs is a passionate collector whose collection blows away most (including mine). He's helping me slab some file copies and other high-grade stuff down at CGC. In fact, I must be able to trust him, because even though I've never met him, I shipped him $20,000 worth of comic books to his office so he could submit them to CGC. I knew I could trust him because he's got integrity and maturity and expertise.

Pedigree is a good thing for collectors, a good thing for underground comics in general and Eggs doesn't stand to make a dime off of it unless he plans to sell some stuff there. I say we spread the word, not clamp down on it. Power to the People! Make Love, Not War! Um Tut Sut!

Comix Junky

(1)
What? I can't express my opinions in a site I STARTED!

I know my opinions are unpopular.
Profesional grading is for lazy speculaters.
And Crumb is nobody.
Where else are you gonna hear opinions like that?
You don't like my opinions? you're free to ignore me or post yer own.

I NEVER interfered with anyone expressing opinions here.
You're mashing up 2 seprete issues.

-----------------------------------------------------------
(2)
I moved this thread out of the discussion area cus it was a blantent AD.

I have absolutely NO MOTIVATION to provide free webspace to people for buying or selling stuff.
The "Trusted Dealers" program is a compromise.
I am inclined toward LESS selling on this site.

I'm only getting nickels n dimes. Maybe $5 a month from this site.
If that dries-up i won't even notice. Maybe i should cry about it now, while i still remember. BooHoo.

If you want more selling. Take it to the CGC forum or ebay.
And I know a guy on my street named Zonker, can set ya up with any kind of site you need. (for a price)
Even a forum like this. write him  @asmic-sites.org

This site is for building a Comix Guide / Database.
(to show zonker how it should be done.)
The forum was an afterthought.  Don't take it too seriously.
Yes, we're making up the rules as we go along.
Collecting is a disease = Obsessive-Possessive Disorder.
---------------
Slabbing Undergrounds is sacrilege.
---------------
The phrase "Action 1 of the Undergrounds"
makes my skin crawl.

Comix Junky

(3) missdirected email

You made a simple, easy mistake with your email.
And got flamed back. It don't seem fair.

Sorry, i don't read them anymore.
I don't keep track of who sends them or how often. It's just a mass of agravaing spam to me.

A mesquito doesn't know your past history with other mesquitos.
And you don't  think about it, you just smash it on sight.
Spam Must Die !
Collecting is a disease = Obsessive-Possessive Disorder.
---------------
Slabbing Undergrounds is sacrilege.
---------------
The phrase "Action 1 of the Undergrounds"
makes my skin crawl.

Rick Bradford

Quote from: Visitor Q on September 11, 2008, 01:10:13 PM
Trusted Dealer are approved dealers of this site that have contributed by donating either there time (other than posting) or made finical donations to this site.

How about all the scans and description info ripped off from eBay auctions without permission? What does that count for?

I mean if we're going to throw around terms like "trusted"...
www.poopsheetfoundation.com
mini-comix history, cover galleries, forums, more