Who is your favorite Underground Writer?

Started by Visitor Q, December 13, 2007, 08:39:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Visitor Q

So we covered the artist, lets not forget about the writers.

Alive or Dead.

Jason
"Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

Visitor Q

I guess so no one chimed in on this one I will kick it off.

Peter Bagge is my favorite writer. I also enjoy Kim Dietch but the funny thing about both of them is that I enjoy there art just as much as their art. I think Jay Lynch is a really good writer too!

On the other hand as much as I enjoy S. Clay Wilson's art I don't care for his writing skills.

Jason
"Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

Reverend

I know it's horribly generic of me, but it's difficult not to love Crumb.

Visitor Q

I think Crumb is a much better artist than writer, but that's just me.

Any Harvey Pekar fans?

Jason

Sir Real

Y'know, I just couldn't think of any writer.  All I could pull outta my head was artists.  However, I guess most of the UG artists were their own writers, too.

'Cept Harvey.  Ah'm a big, I say BIG Pekar fan!
Timeo Hominem Unius Libri

Rick Bradford

Yeah, my brain is much more drawn to the art. I have to agree that Crumb is an entertaining writer, although it's hard to say what I'd think if he didn't know how to draw.
www.poopsheetfoundation.com
mini-comix history, cover galleries, forums, more

Visitor Q

Yes... I am much bigger fan of art than I am writing but for me a person like Bagge who can pull it altogether with his great writing skill and unique art... It's like every time I pick up something new of his I can't wait to read it as much as look at it!

Jason

fishnuts

Excuse me, but Gilbert Shelton and Rand Holmes both, are comedy comix gold.  Short stories to novel length...all hilariously funny.   Body of work =massive.  Never stale Wonder Warthog   Hitler's Cocaine?  Hello?  No nominations for Jan Strnad's(sp) Corben sf/horror stories.   Spain's high adventure Trashman.   Irons horror!  Jaxon historicals.  Ya'll read this stuff, right?  The Fabulous Furry Freak Bros. and Harold Hedd...drugs are bad, mkay?   

Visitor Q

I like Shelton when he writes Freak Bros. but not so much when he does Warthog, maybe Warthog is too tame for me? I do like his drawing style fer sure.

Jason

dr_s

I liked the Warthog where he sneezed and blew Lois Lane away.

Sir Real

Fat Freddy's Cat still cracks me up.  Damn-near perfect combination of art & story.
Timeo Hominem Unius Libri

trunch59

50Cent #II (1st print)

Welcome to the forum, glad to see you found us.
You might find some more people for bartering here.

over40artist

I have a lot of favorite writers: Spiegelman, Guy Colwell, the Hernandez Bros., Shelton, Aline Kominsky, Shary Flenniken, Jaxon, Joel Beck, Jay Kinney, Roberta Gregory, Kim Deitch, Jay Lynch and yes, certainly Crumb.

Great comic illustration is what makes a comic book professional. Great comic writing is what makes a comic book eternal.

awillis

I like Shelton's Freak Brothers writing- generally very consistant, though somewhat predictable.
I think that Rand Holm's work on Herold Hedd # 2 was outstanding, but I suspect I'm being influenced by the art since I hold it in such high regard.
R. Crumb's writting all depended on his art to help tell his story and the story was very unpredictable.
Jan Strnad's writing in Fever Dreams was most excellant.
Hard to chose between these four.
Read Lost Cause Comix-
"Underground at it's Deepest"