The big Underground Collectors.

Started by 50Cent #II (1st print), February 27, 2008, 02:41:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

50Cent #II (1st print)

Thought this might be interesting, can a list be compiled of the big Ug-C collectors (not dealers like Donahue, SideBottoms, Robert L. Beerbohm, Jim Pitts or Terry Stroud, but collectors -Weist is/was both)?

I'll start with the ones listed in some of the books.

Jay Kennedy (deceased)
Bruce Seamans (and I'm told his brother was once a collector also)
"1stComix"
**"Dr_S" (Arnie)
Malcolm Whyte (collection now owned by John Dolmayan)
Dan Florian
*Shelby Kirch  (X)
Robert K. Wiener
Jerry Weist
*Bill Desmond
Bhob Stewart
*Bruce Sweeney
*Marc Von Arx
*John Godin
Clay Geerdes (deceased)
Jim Vadeboncoeur
Bob Eagelston
*George Erling
Dick Swan
John Thompson (deceased)
Tom Brinkmann
Richard Bruning
Robert Cavey
Bill Devine
Bill Emerson (JustKidsNostalgia)
Marc Gabler
Peggy Rita
Robert "Scotty" Scotellaro
Bob Stewart
Dave Toplitz  (X)
Norman Witty
Robert Abell
Walter Bachner  (X)
Chris Duffy
Brad Foster
Bill Fowler
Fred Greenberg
Dave Hollis
Larry Jahn
Fred Knorr  (X)
Mike Koukoutsakis
Mike Krasowski
Curt Metz
Tucker Petertil
Steven Raskin
Jake Schaffner
Ron Thompson
Jerry Tomasiewicz
Jack Venooker
Richard Wayne (deceased)
"Thillaj"

(Note that real names from this list is from publications published over 25 years ago and many of these collectors no longer collect, have sold off their collections or have passed away.  This is not a top secret list with contact info. of names newly discovered by me, but names clearly available to anyone who purchases the Kennedy Guide, Fogel's Guide (notice I did not include anyone from that Guide that wasn't included in previous publications except Malcolm Whyte who no longer has his collection), Illustrated Checklist to Underground Comix and the R. Crumb Checklist.)

-Suspected (U.K.) collectors:
Mal Burns
Dez Skinn
David Huxley (there is a long list of names in the Acknowledgements of his book "Nasty Tales" that could be added).

* = (mentioned in more than one publication)
collections sold to "Dr_S" =  (X)

Did I miss anyone or list someone that shouldn't be included?

For current UG collectors, we should probably add **"Zonker" (assuming from his UGComix.info website), "OldMilwaukee6er", "Over40Artist", "Reverend", "Artystyc", "dbcues", "Brother J", **"Sir Real", "ComicWiz", "Dr. Benway" and "Visitor Q" from this forum and there's a few from eBay ("Mirabelle", etc. ) that come up a lot that I've forgotten their eBay names.

I'll keep my name [50cent #II (1st print)] off the list for now, as I've only been collecting for a little over a year and only have a couple keys.

"TreeLover" who is rumored to have the biggest collection of Undergrounds on the planet said in April 2007 "First generation included people like Shelby Kirch, Jerry Weist, Walter Bachener, Sandy Cutler, Jay Kennedy of course, maybe Rick Wayne, Glenn Bray, and Scheiman, forgive me for forgetting some others. Lynch, Kitchen, and Turner have massive collections. Someone ought to compile a short history of underground collectors and the origins and fate of their collections, before we fade into dust with our yellowing collections...."

Dr_S. replied " You forgot Dave Topliz and Bill Emerson in you first generation. I am still collecting. Rick's collection went to his brother. I got Dave's, Shelby's, and Bachner's. Kennedy's collection is up for grabs. The other's I don't know what happened to them."

Sir Real

Timeo Hominem Unius Libri

50Cent #II (1st print)

Brother J

Should I assume that the first list is basically people who have/had significant collections that were collecting back in the day when the undergrounds were being published? I know you mentioned their names were mentioned in various books.

Interesting list. It's also interesting to me that I recognize a good chunk of the names in the first list and all the names on the second. I must be payin' attention!

Visitor Q

You sure these people want their name discussed on some forum about comix?

Jason
"Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

dr_s

I don't understand the list.. It appears to be 25 years old. I know of e=at least three you left off, but I go with Jason and won't list them. As for your list, several are dead:
I know for sure of Jay Kennedy, Clay Geerdes, John Thompson,, and Richard Wayne
Several do not collect any more: Robert K. Wiener, Jerry Weist,  Bill Devine, Norman Witty,
Others sold or are selling their collection: Bruce's brother sold his to Bruce, Emerson was the JUSTKIDSNOSTALGIA auction, Thillaj, Dan Florian.
and I think Fred Greenberg is out of it. Haven't seen him in years.
Of course there are the ones who sold out to me: Toplitz, Kirch, Bachner, and Knorr,
I wonder whatever happened to Chris Duffy. I used to buy from him at the Chicago cons 2 decades ago.

By the way, what happened to the second list?

Brother J

Quote from: dr_s on February 27, 2008, 10:06:55 AM

The second list is there, it's basically most of us from the boards who have decent collections. 50 cent left himself off the list, but he might as well include himself. He probably has just as many keys as many of us. Multiples of Zap #2 (1st) are key enough for me!

Reverend

I know some of them value their anonymity and probably wouldn't want to be mentioned here.

Brother J

Quote from: Reverend on February 27, 2008, 11:31:28 AM
I know some of them value their anonymity and probably wouldn't want to be mentioned here.

reminds me of a great quote from the other board:

"One thing I have found out about UG collectors, is that they tend to be a generally secretive bunch. The trading one normally finds among AG comic collectors is virtually absent in the UG world. We sit on our hard-fought horde, mumbling and giggling to ourselves about the treasure we have amassed, guarding it jealously. The regular unwashed millions never get to see our collections. Even when confronted by another collector, he must display his credibility in UG knowledge before even getting a glimpse of those precious, precious long-boxes."

Probably a good idea not to have the list, a lot of those names might be looking here and not appreciate the shout-out.

Reverend

Good quote. If you remember, I had some fun with trying to figure out who mthwhbr was and created a thread about it in the other forum, which was all in good fun. In hindsight, I shouldn't have done it. With that said, I don't agree with this thread. There's no reason to put these people in the spotlight, even if a few of them are mentioned in various publications.

50Cent #II (1st print)

If they didn't want their name known, then they wouldn't have agreed to have their names published in either the Kennedy Guide, the Fogel's Guide, the Illustrated Guide to Underground Comix or the R. Crumb checklist is the way I see it.  All their names are in public print, why would it be wrong to list them here on our "uncensored" forum?  Are they going to somehow buy all the copies of the book they are listed in to remove their name from history?  All those that aren't listed in the books have their User or eBay name used.

50Cent #II (1st print)

Quote from: dr_s on February 27, 2008, 10:06:55 AM
I don't understand the list.. It appears to be 25 years old. I know of e=at least three you left off, but I go with Jason and won't list them. As for your list, several are dead:
I know for sure of Jay Kennedy, Clay Geerdes, John Thompson,, and Richard Wayne
Several do not collect any more: Robert K. Wiener, Jerry Weist,  Bill Devine, Norman Witty,
Others sold or are selling their collection: Bruce's brother sold his to Bruce, Emerson was the JUSTKIDSNOSTALGIA auction, Thillaj, Dan Florian.
and I think Fred Greenberg is out of it. Haven't seen him in years.
Of course there are the ones who sold out to me: Toplitz, Kirch, Bachner, and Knorr,
I wonder whatever happened to Chris Duffy. I used to buy from him at the Chicago cons 2 decades ago.

Thanks for the great info.  As for Florian, he's not selling his whole collection, just dupes (though he did sell some keys though Sotheby's a few years ago).

Dr_S, did this list bring up some lost memories?

Reverend

50Cent #II (1st print)

Quote from: Brother J on February 27, 2008, 12:05:08 PM
Quote from: Reverend on February 27, 2008, 11:31:28 AM

reminds me of a great quote from the other board:

"One thing I have found out about UG collectors, is that they tend to be a generally secretive bunch. The trading one normally finds among AG comic collectors is virtually absent in the UG world. We sit on our hard-fought horde, mumbling and giggling to ourselves about the treasure we have amassed, guarding it jealously. The regular unwashed millions never get to see our collections. Even when confronted by another collector, he must display his credibility in UG knowledge before even getting a glimpse of those precious, precious long-boxes."

Great quote.

Sorry Brother J, I must have clicked the Modify button instead of the Quote button, that's why is shows it was edited by me, that's like the 2nd or third time I've done it, you think I would learn by now.

50Cent #II (1st print)

Quote from: Reverend on February 27, 2008, 01:14:38 PM
What's the purpose of this thread?

To discuss how many of the BIG Ug-C collectors are out there...