How do you collect?

Started by Visitor Q, June 20, 2008, 09:55:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Visitor Q

Are you a collector who wants ever book in the Kennedy guide or Illustrated Check List? Do you buy books to fill in gaps in series? Do you collected by favorite artist or writer? Do you collect by or up unto a certain year?

How do you collect?

Jason
"Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

Sir Real

Haphazardly.  ADD'dly.

Oh look.  A bunny...
Timeo Hominem Unius Libri

50Cent #II (1st print)

Quote from: Visitor Q on June 20, 2008, 09:55:30 AM
Are you a collector who wants ever book in the Kennedy guide or Illustrated Check List? Do you buy books to fill in gaps in series? Do you collected by favorite artist or writer? Do you collect by or up unto a certain year?

yep.

dr_s

Reverend

I've always been the "I want it all!" type of collector, but the guide that I actively collect from is Mal Burns' Comix Index. I have most of it, but I'm still missing a painful handful of titles.

Visitor Q

Quote from: Reverend on June 20, 2008, 12:48:59 PM
I've always been the "I want it all!" type of collector, but the guide that I actively collect from is Mal Burns' Comix Index. I have most of it, but I'm still missing a painful handful of titles.

Mal Burns' Comix Index? What's that?

I would consider myself to be a "I want it all" as well.

Jason
"Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

wpbooks

I collect by artist pretty much, as I've noticed there's a good percentage of UG that to me is unreadable and amateurish crap.  I'm not charmed by that kind of thing and I only have so much space amongst all of the other "pop culture" stuff I collect/accumulate.  So I guess I'm somewhat of a snob because I really don't want more than 2 magazine/comic boxes of UG and having recently pulled all of it out and investigated and consolidated my holdings, I'm pretty much there except for the occasional upgrade that comes my way that is in the ballpark of what I feel like spending, or trading for.....

Visitor Q

Well if you have books for sale, feel free to PM me a list.

I hear what you are saying and I know Arnold would agree with you. There is no doubt a lot of crap out there and even some of the titles that go for major dollars are crap, only selling high due to rarity. I myself am a hoarder so I take the good with the bad but hate paying top dollar for something I am not interested in...

Here is a good example. I recently acquired a very nice copy of Allstars #1 off Arnold which I had no real clue of the content only judging by Allstars #2. Needless to say they are nothing even close to being the same and although it is nice to have 1 & 2, I would do nothing more with the book other than file it. Since however it is not a cheap book to buy, Arnold has been nice enough to let me send it back in exchange for something else. So in this case I have somewhat bended my rule of wanting it all. It's not that I don't want the book in my collection because I do but with the wide array of what Arnold has, I would much rather spend it on something I care about... Confused Yet?

Jason

wpbooks

I get exactly what you are saying.  I started collecting this stuff as a wee lad of 12 back in 1973, and never really had to pay too much for my acquisitions, ever, even now, and I just don't want something because it's rare.  It's got to be rare and of interest to me...there's only so much time to enjoy this stuff in the scheme of things so I figure might as well go for THAT.  Sure, if something crosses my path that I know or suspect is rare I'll pick it up for later trade fodder if the price or sometimes lack of price is right...but I no longer seek it out like I did in the 70's and 80's....do you get what I'm saying...kapeesh?

Visitor Q

Visitor Q

mrbillscomix

I usually collect to fill in a complete run, if possible.  But, if there is a really nice copy of a certain issue number that I love, I'll go after it even if I have 20 of them.  I believe UGs are a little harder to fill/locate due to the smaller print runs.  I think the most current UG I have are my Cherry 1s.  My free time seems to be less and less each year otherwise I would go check out newer UGs.  The most currect Marvel/DC I bought off the rack was probably back in the late 90s and those were just one step up from crap.

McDope

Personally I'm attracted to comix w/ a drug overtone.  :icon_eyes:
"Dope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no dope."—Freewheelin' Franklin

cimmerian32

I collect any book with good art...  pulps, comix, and comics...  artbooks, illustrated novels, and limited first editions...  very rarely do I get a book for JUST the cover art, but sometimes, yes, even that :D

Cimm