How do you collect?

Started by Visitor Q, June 20, 2008, 09:55:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmilwaukee6er

i collect the anthology titles where i get a board array of art & stories, those are my favorites... Zap, Bijou, Yellow Dog
i collect Crumb, Freak Bros., & some character appearances.
i strive to collect 1st prints almost exclusively (except where i am priced out or still looking)

i started collecting almost solely out of Donahue's catalog... that was really the core of the "how" of it... comparing Donahue's prices versus Kennedy's to determine what was still a relative steal compared to '82 values & what had increased by 400-800%.

i don't think i will attempt a whole checklist.  it just seems too daunting.   :icon_eek:

zazz

Greetings folks! This thread seems like a good place for me to start posting...... I haven't been collecting UGs as long as some of ya'll - since some of ya'll were on the "scene" in the 60's and 70's (I was born in 68, been collecting comics since about 1980), but I've come to really enjoy this medium. I was a main-stream type, hunting mostly for Silver Age Marvels (was working on a Spidy run 1-100). But when Ebay came into exsistance, the thrill of the hunt went out the door. Except for UGs and their low print runs and small circulations. As I got more into them, the stories associated with some of them I found to be facintating - like Doomsday Comics. I would say that I'm your typical horder, but I do tend toward certain genres/themes. I really like Shelton, Corben and Bryson (and of course Crumb). Anyway, there ya'll have it.... I look forward to chatting, posting, reading, learning, etc with "all ya'll"!!!

Reverend

Welcome aboard, zazz! I've certainly seen you bidding on eBay.  :01_bounce:

Brother J

Quote from: Reverend on September 07, 2008, 07:33:19 PM
Welcome aboard, zazz! I've certainly see you bidding on eBay.  :01_bounce:

yeah, like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320293233543

I was the third highest bid, but well under the top two.

50Cent #II (1st print)

zazz

Yeah, I've been looking for a Captain Sticky for a little while.... Looking forward to reading it! Sorry if you were the one I took it from..... 8-)

zazz

I probably paid a little over what I should have... but, as far as ebay goes, this is only the 4th one I've seen in 5 years. Of course I'm betting some of ya'll hunters could find one. I don't get a lot of free computer time (2 small kidlets)...... so ebay is what I use - for better or worse....

Visitor Q

Quote from: zazz on September 07, 2008, 10:13:07 PM
Yeah, I've been looking for a Captain Sticky for a little while.... Looking forward to reading it! Sorry if you were the one I took it from..... 8-)

I paid 50 for mine, seems about right.

Jason
"Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

Brother J

Quote from: zazz on September 07, 2008, 10:13:07 PM

Never have to apologize for that, I wasn't even the first underbidder, so if you hadn't gotten it, the other person would have. I'm a notorious cheapskate, I will bid more what something is worth to me to have, not necessarily actual value. Welcome to the board, this is the place to be for underground collectors.

dr_s

I was thinking of paying 40-50 for resale but then saw that it was a reprint. So I didn't bother to bid. While I need the reprint for myself, I have to draw the line somewhere. By the was, hi Zazz, I think Isold you stuff in the past or maybe bought from you.

zazz

Dr S, yep. I got my Beantown Funnies from you... among other things.... that was the last one though.

Brother J

Quote from: dr_s on September 08, 2008, 12:26:41 PM
I was thinking of paying 40-50 for resale but then saw that it was a reprint. So I didn't bother to bid. While I need the reprint for myself, I have to draw the line somewhere.

You're talking about the Lizard Zen, right? What value would you assign to the 2nd print?

zazz

Yeah, the second print Lizard Zen. I'm not sure what it would be worth. I got one about a year ago for $10 or $15. This is only the second one I've seen pop up on Ebay.

50Cent #II (1st print)

Odd, I've seen 3 of these in the last month, one on eBay now and one in each of the large collections I've checked out recently.