Jay Kennedy's Ug collection

Started by 50Cent #II (1st print), July 01, 2008, 11:33:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

50Cent #II (1st print)

I missed this news item in April, incase anyone else did...

From Underground Collectibles website:
"Editor and Publisher, a journal covering the newspaper industry, has reported that Jay Kennedy, the King Features Syndicate editor in chief who died last year, has bequeathed his collection of underground comic books to the Ohio State University Cartoon Research Library.

The collection -- which includes more than 9,500 items -- was described by King Comics Editor Brendan Burford as "tremendous" and "unparalleled." Burford worked with Kennedy at King, and helped him catalog the collection's contents. "

Reverend

Visitor Q

Hat's off to Kennedy... Too bad most college kids are assholes though. =[

Jason
"Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

Reverend

Once the collection is cataloged, I'd gladly make the trek to Ohio to take a look through it. From what I gather, researchers can make appointments to view their collection.

50Cent #II (1st print)

I was just trying to find contact info. for Brandon Burford to try to get an inventory list of the collection, but couldn't find a way to contact him.  I'm too lazy to write to King Features attn: B. Burford I guess...

Reverend

I tried that, too. I think I found his blog, but am not sure.

Reverend

Here's a page on the library's site mentioning the collection: http://cartoons.osu.edu/jay_kennedy.php.

Jay Kennedy bequest

Jay Kennedy, the former Editor in Chief at King Features Syndicate who died in 2007, bequeathed his collection of underground comic books to The Ohio State University Cartoon Research Library.  The collection of more than 9,500 items is one of the most extensive in the world.   Kennedy, who authored the seminal reference work The Official Underground and Newave Comix Price Guide:  Listing Alternative Comix in the U.S. & Canada from 1962 to the Present (Boatner Norton Press: 1982), was an authority on underground comics.  A comics scholar, a gentleman, a lover of the 60s, and an artist himself, Kennedy held underground comics as not just an art movement, but also a social, political and cultural movement.

"We are honored that Jay bequeathed his collection to us," says Lucy Shelton Caswell, professor and curator of the library.  "It is a very substantial resource that will interest scholars in several areas."

The Jay Kennedy Collection will be housed in the library's secure, climate-controlled stacks so that the materials will be convenient for users in its reading room.  According to Caswell, work has begun to catalog these materials to make them available to researchers as soon as possible.

Brendan Burford, Kennedy's associate at King Features Syndicate, stated, "During the time I knew Jay Kennedy, I was fortunate to have him share many things with me, among them, his comic book collection. I got to know his collection very well as we worked together for several years cataloging its contents. It's a tremendous collection -- one that is unparalleled. I can't think of a better home for Jay's comic books than the OSU Cartoon Research Library. The collection will live on admirably."

About the Cartoon Research Library:  The Cartoon Research Library's primary mission is to develop a comprehensive research collection of materials documenting American printed cartoon art (editorial cartoons, comic strips, comic books, graphic novels, sports cartoons, and magazine cartoons) and to provide access to these collections.  The library is open Monday-Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.  See http://cartoons.osu.edu/ for further information.

50Cent #II (1st print)

Thanks for the post.

Anyone know of any 1962 comix listed in the Kennedy though?

Reverend

That's a good question. I can't say that I do.

Visitor Q

What I want to know is how do they prevent people from damaging these books or walking away with them?

Jason
"Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

Reverend

I've often wondered that about MSU's collection. Furthermore, I wonder just how they're stored. Are they in individual bags? I somehow doubt they are.

Reverend

It came to me as I was washing dishes after dinner. He listed The Adventures of Jesus with a 1962 publication date.

50Cent #II (1st print)

Of course, I've made numerous notes on it and then completely forgot that one (it should be Spring 1964 for those that don't know).

dr_s

I wonder if we can now find out about the mysterious watermark on the Adbentures of J
Kennedy claimed that all copies of the book (3 editions) were counterfiets) only his to were real and each had a special watermark not on the others.

50Cent #II (1st print)

Someone in Ohio go check the collection out and find out.  Bring your UV flashlight or digital camera.