Rory Hayes Book

Started by Visitor Q, September 11, 2008, 10:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Visitor Q

Did anyone pick this up? How is it?

Where Demented Wented: The Art and Comics of Rory Hayes

I know there was a psot about it coming out but I did not see anyone say anything about it there after it seems...

Jason
"Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

wpbooks

I thumbed through it at Borders a couple of days ago and am waiting for it to be shipped from Amazon. I thought it was quite a nice volume and look forward to receiving it so I can read it in detail, but my initial impression is that it will make a great addition to the bookshelf, indeed!

Visitor Q

How does it compare to the Greg Irons book if you have it? Is there a lot of pix in it? I really enjoyed the Iron's book myself.
"Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

wpbooks

I was actually going to compare it to the Irons book in my comment...in my opinion the Irons book is the better looking and more concise book of the two in the sense that it is more of a biography where the Hayes book has a couple of essays and is pretty much a compendium of most of his output.  There is a lot more color in the Irons book, as well, but Irons was branched out in other aspects of illustration that Hayes was not.  The Hayes book is about 90-95% comix with some text. Compare that to Irons and you'll get what I'm talking about.  Also, the essay by Hayes' brother appears to be the same one from the VQR magazine as linked on the CPG board in the UG forum.  Still, it's nice to have a collection of Hayes in one massive volume, but I'm looking forward to the Rosenkranz book on Rand Holmes and the Roger Hill books on Reed Crandall and Graham Ingels, just to go a bit into the realm of EC, even moreso!

pupirse

Visitor Q

Looks cool, I'm gonna order it this weekend.

Thanks Guys.
Jason

mrbillscomix

I'm ordering that also!  Thanks for the link. I didn't know it was out.
-bill

Visitor Q

Let me know what you think. I order it on Sat., should be here soon.

I hope they do other artist as well.

Jason

Visitor Q