Comic Books of Today

Started by Visitor Q, June 30, 2008, 09:49:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Visitor Q

Do you read or collect any current comic books today? If so what?

The only current books I collect are anything from Sergio Aragonés & Peter Bagge. I don't really go to comic book stores anymore as I find most of today's comic books to be utter shit with the exception of mini comic books.

Jason
"Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

cimmerian32

Dark Horse's Conan is a great read...  other than that, nope, nothing from today's shelves appeals...  I spend all my money in the Golden Age and/or Pulps section of eBay.

50Cent #II (1st print)

Only series I've been buying is Bad Planet which I really enjoy the art.  Issue #6 should also have a Dave Stevens cover (his last?) who's a favorite of mine.

Visitor Q

I'm trying to decide what year it was when comic books tunred to total crap, late to mid 90s?

Jason
"Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

mrbillscomix

I'd agree to that.... I actually enjoyed those very early issues of valiant. About 6 months worth and then it went right in the toilet with the hologram covers or some giant rat-chew out of the cover to show how violent the character was or how stupid the person felt right after he bought it and all that other crap.  Wasn't that about the time when Marvel jumped in too and about every other issue of spidey was some type of gimmick cover.  I have a few friends that are sitting on cases of that stuff.  They could burn it but what would happen to the ozone from burning holograms?

Reverend

I felt that the beginning of the end of modern comics came with McFarlane's Spider-Man #1. Weren't there something like fourteen different versions of that damned book?

Comix Junky

"I'm trying to decide what year it was when comic books tunred to total crap, late to mid 90s?"

Mid to late 80's. When i gave up collecting.
Collecting is a disease = Obsessive-Possessive Disorder.
---------------
Slabbing Undergrounds is sacrilege.
---------------
The phrase "Action 1 of the Undergrounds"
makes my skin crawl.

Visitor Q

I think for me it was around the birth of Image Comics.

Jason

zazz

I know that this thread is a tad old, but I was reading the newer Marvel/DC/Image up until about a year ago. I can't justif spending about $3 an issue for something that will be worth less than a dollar a year later. However, for those that might want to check something new out I highly recommend "The Boys" by Garth Ennis. I was a DC book until they pussed out and cancelled it just because of a gerbil popping out of a guy's butt after he got punched..... Fortunately Dynamite picked it up..... Another one that is a bit out there I Morrison's "Fell"......

50Cent #II (1st print)

The moderns I hear a lot of praise for now is Locke & Key (S. King's son's book), Fear Agent, Walking Dead, and the Boys.

Brother J

Young Liars by Dave Lapham is a fantastic book, especially if you enjoy mindless violence and gruesome mutilations.

SPOILER:

One character just got his dick chopped off, while another of the main characters was just beheaded.