Young Lust #1 - part 2

Started by mrbillscomix, April 26, 2008, 12:18:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbillscomix

Hi,
Looking through my Young Lust #1s, I have a copy with a 50cent cover and a blank page 2.
I didn't see it in Kennedy.  Anyone see this before?

mrbillscomix

Also noticed something different on each of the first 3 printings of #1 that are identifiable...  In the upper lefthand corner, there is a small strip above "No.1"...  On my 1st printings, there isn't a strip. On my 2nd printings, there is a bright yellow strip.  On my 3rd printings, there is a white strip.
Is it just a coincidence on my copies or ???

**New pictures posted......

50Cent #II (1st print)

The blank inner cover looks to be just a neat printing error, but the cover tell on the first 3 printings looks good if it can be verified.  Maybe this is your first post for the new contest???

over40artist

You may be on to something there, MrBill! Another great comix tell, perhaps.

But please, in the future, if it won't damage your comix too much, take the comix out of the bag to scan them. The bag glare is affecting the area in question and makes it harder to evaluate.

Okay, I'm just nitpicking. Great find!

mrbillscomix

I'll re-post those three covers. 

mrbillscomix

I changed the 3 pics above...  Thanks

RebelVisions

According to Bill Griffith and Jay Kinney, Company & Sons were printing runs of Young Lust off the books. They discovered a shitload of copies in a warehouse when C&S went out of business, seized them in lieu of royalties, and sold them to Print Mint.

over40artist

Thanks, mrbill.

My first print looks like the one above in the upper left corner, except it is missing gray color at the bottom right corner, much like your third print:

My third print looks like the one above in the upper left corner, but the bottom right corner does not have the missing gray color. It is solid gray all the way to the edge of the paper:

50Cent #II (1st print)

My Print Mint 5th/6th prints both have the yellow stripe on the top.  I don't have any 2nd prints.  But the multiple 1st and 3rd prints I have both have with and without the white stripe.

I think this could be a possibility on the printings.

1st print same at JK/UGComix.info (w/ & w/o white strip)
2nd/3rd print same as 3rd/4th JK/UGComix.info print (w/ & w/o white strip)
4th print with yellow strip same as 2nd JK/UGComix.info print
5th and/or 6th Print Mint print with yellow strip same as 5th/6th JK/UGComix.info print
7th .60 Print Mint print with yellow strip same as JK/UGComix.info print
etc.

over40artist

Hmm, sounds like there is not quite a consensus on this cover tell. And I am getting very confused at this point....

Brother J

Quote from: over40artist on April 28, 2008, 06:15:06 AM
Hmm, sounds like there is not quite a consensus on this cover tell. And I am getting very confused at this point....

Yep, I've got five copies of the first printing of YL #1, and they have varying degrees of white in the upper left corner, from a full bar to just a little to none at all.

50Cent #II (1st print)

Next to the 2nd and 3rd prints in the JK there are "?" meaning JK wasn't sure of their order, I think he simply might have got it backwards (as he must have guessed) and may have not noticed the yellow strip appearing.  Also, he appears to have errored on the 4th print, saying that it was indistinguishable from the 5th and 6th (and 7th, but we know that had a .60 cent cover price), but then put on the 5th print that it's by the "Print Mint", which should make it easily identifiable from the 4th print (unless he simply didn't know if the 4th print was a C&S or PM printing).