Zap Comix #0 thread...

Started by 50Cent #II (1st print), May 08, 2008, 04:55:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

50Cent #II (1st print)

From the 30 plus I have examined side by side (multiples of each except the 8th print), I believe that there was at least 8 printings with a 35 cent cover price.  This is what I've found.

1st print (don't have one of these to compare), but we all know it has the pages numbered, the hair line in the "Z" and the yellow rectangle on the back.

2nd print (with thicker matte cover paper than the 3rd and later prints) doesn't have the hair line in the "Z", the back of the character on the cover is intact, back cover doesn't have the yellow rectangle.

3rd print is same as the 2nd print, but has glossy paper that's thinner than the matte paper of the 2nd print (glossy same on the following printings).

4th print has the character's back with the most "damage", also notice the faint line around the Apex Novelty Company logo as well as the top of "Zap".

5th print with slight repair of character's back (little black added), line around Apex Novelty Company logo gone, above "Zap" is still there but slight. (Goes between C and D on UGComix.info)

6th print with more repair of character's back.  (Goes between C and D on UGComix.info)

7th print with a little more black added to character's back (also notice the "PA" in the word Company in the Apex Novelty logo, it's less detailed and the P has no or almost no hole/dot in it.)  Also, this printing seems to have a much more yellow tint than the others.

8th print with character's back almost completely repaired (with more black added), this one is used on later printings (ie, $1.50), "PA" in Company in logo more detailed like 6th and earlier printings.

50Cent #II (1st print)

Thought I would line up the backs for easy comparison.

stage52

I think one must ask whether these are true printing differences or errors in the printing process such as paper differences or inking during printing.  The real question is what was the printers intention.  Was this print run intended to be a 2nd ,4th or 6th and so on.  You might have 3 different variances from  a single intended print run but I do not think  you can  call it a different printing.  A good example is Freak Bros. # 1   1st print variation.  There are many questions like these that we will never find the answer to.  I still think the answer lies in what was the printers intention pure & simple  and while finding these anomalies is fine one can not state with confidence that this is a true different printing.   :icon_question:

50Cent #II (1st print)

True.  What I did was compare the multiple copies I have of each and you can see that the differences in size and tint and staple placement, paper, etc. between the above ones and the same with each printing.  I'll post an image I think will help show and explain.

50Cent #II (1st print)

This might help show how I came to some of my conclusions.

Reverend

That's an impressive amount of work you've done there. It makes me dizzy, however, and all the happier when a comic only had one printing, which is another reason why I favor the obscure books so much more.

stage52

I have copies of Zap #1  that are even a different size from each other but are considered a 3rd printing.  I still have to go back to my original post on this.  While these observations are interesting they do not answer the question whether these are really true printing runs.  The UG industry  had little consistency for standards except for probably Denis Kitchen and his printing # system he used.  I can't help thinking that sometimes we are seeing more there then is really there there if you get my drift.  Paper differences could easily happen within 1 print run depending on availability & Inking was all over the board.   I do applaud your vigilance  however in your quest and believe some of the differences that collectors have found are legitimate  but some are questionable because of the very reasons I stated above.  It was a sloppy industry without standards and some questions will never be answered to our satisfaction .

50Cent #II (1st print)

I agree with you, that's why the ones where I have only one copy and it appears similar to one of the other printings, but not the same I've left out.
As for the paper differences during the run, doesn't seem to apply to the Zap Comix #0.  As you can see from the photo at the top of the pile, is the earlier printings.  You can see all the matte thicker paper covers (all 6 of them I have) have all the staples line up and are the same size, then the glossy thinner paper covers have their staple placement different from those matte covers, but similar to its same printing.

over40artist

50c, I think the point is that you can't count on paper type and staples to make an absolute, definitive separation from one print run to the next. It was all fucked up and nobody can say for sure what was more fucked up than something else.

To me, there are underground print editions that have a lot more gray area than black and white demarcations. This is only one of many in this fascinating field.

That said, you have done a remarkable job in presenting the data to be evaluated here. In one sense, you have made everything a bit clearer. In another sense, you have only added to the fuzziness that makes this genre so much fun to explore.

stage52

Stage52 says:
Well a big ditto to that O40 .  It was a real loose bunch that produced many of these comix gems that most of us here find fascinating & are willing to spend our small fortunes on.  I'll bet that some anomalies  could be attributed to how many doobies were smoked that day or how much attention was given to that well endowed hippie chick in the halter top while the printing process was going on.
  I must say that when these type of discussions are presented I can't help but visualize the cover of Jay Kennedy's (RIP)  price guide and how accurate that really was so long ago.  I guess to the bulk of the Comic industry we  are a strange bunch and we are saying to them "just wait, you'll see"  in the belief that we are on to something special here.

On the amusing side 50c, I can't help but get these visual images in my head of a pale individual hunching over a stack of UG's in a poorly lit room with large magnifying glasses.  I find myself asking questions like "Does this guy have a meaningful relationship (other then comix) and how bad does this dude get sunburned when the sun hits his exposed skin or could he just burn up like a vampire if the sun hits him.  All kidding aside, I do applaud your dedication to this hobby that  for so many of us consumes our precious time.  " My Precious" :01_bounce:

Sir Real

QuoteI can't help but get these visual images in my head of a pale individual hunching over a stack of UG's in a poorly lit room with large magnifying glasses.

Timeo Hominem Unius Libri

50Cent #II (1st print)

I'm tan enough, ask those that have met me. :01_wtf: :sunny:

stage52

50Cent #II (1st print)

Hey Arnie,

Look what I came across, thought it was a funny coincidence...