Zap Comix #1 (.35 cent cover price "third" prints)

Started by 50Cent #II (1st print), May 14, 2008, 05:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

50Cent #II (1st print)

Thought I would post some things I've found regarding the "third" print of Zap Comix #1.
Here is a pic. of the Zap #1's that are 35 cent covers that don't include the Donahue 2nd print.  As you can see I believe that there was at least 5 printings of the "third" print.  The difference range in staple placement/distance between, along with type of paper and size (all I've found use glossy paper).

This is the most significant difference I've found. (true "third" and "fifth" print)

To me, it appears that after the Donahue 2nd print, they used the 1st print to make the 3rd print and put the 35 cent price over the 25 cent as you can see the edge/cut line around a majority of it.  There are copies of this that are taller than the rest of the printings I have, so I consider this larger/taller ones the true third prints.  There is another "printing" that is the same shorter/smaller size as the rest of my prints, but still has this "cut" line around the 35 cent that I consider the true "fourth" print (also has different staple placement/distance than the taller "third").  Then the line goes away, as it appears to have been touched up to be remove it.  All those printings are approx. the same shorter size as as the "true fouth" print.  The difference between these seems to be paper type and staple placement/distance between.  So my true "fifth" print is the noticeably thicker/still paper but that is still glossy like the rest [actually I have 4 with very stiff cover paper ("A") and 3 with less stiff cover paper ("B"), but the staples line up the same so I'm not sure if these are separate prints or the same with different paper stock used or just aged in different environments.  I'm going to use the micrometer on each and see if there's a pattern and update this post.  UPDATE: So the groups seem to show similarity "A" having a .135-.144mm paper thickness and goup "B" having a .112-.122mm paper thickness = two different printings or two different paper stocks used on same printing.  The average thickness of the thin glossy stock of covers is approx. .086-.092mm by the way.]  My "Sixth" and "Seventh" aren't necessarily different printings in that they both have thin glossy paper, but the staple placement is different between the two (3 haveing the exact same staple distance/placement with eachother and 2 having the same exact staple distance/placement as eachother but different from the other 3), which should probably be considered the same print unless someone can detect another difference between them (one of these seems to have thicker cover paper than the rest at approx. .100mm, and darker colors, but since I only have one I won't count this unless I get more info. on it).
Here's a scan of the front and back cover of my true "third" print that a bit taller.

Scan of the front of my "fourth" print that's a bit shorter.

Scan of the front of my "Sixth/Seventh" print.

If you've got some info., post away...