Zap Comix #4

Started by 50Cent #II (1st print), May 15, 2008, 01:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

50Cent #II (1st print)

Anyone actually own a 1st print of Zap Comix #4?  JK states it's a glossy cover, but the 3rd print also states this, but it's definitely a matte cover for #3.  Is it the same for Zap #4, glossy or matte?  I've compared multiple copies and all are glossy and have "thin" covers (actually, I've got 6 copies that have slightly heavier/thicker covers, they all have the same staple placement [Total length of comic - 9.75", upper staple 2.37" from top, lower staple 2.37" from the bottom, 4.0" in between staples], and they do not have the 1969 copyright.  I suspect these are the "70 lb." covers, but they do not compare to the Zap #2 or 3 heavier/thicker "70 lb." covers, which are noticeably different (especially the #3).  More like the difference between the Zap #3 2nd prints that very between thin and slightly thicker covers).  I've found one new True 3rd print, the outer cover is the same as the 2nd print (.50), but the inside front cover has the 1969 copyright like the .75 cent cover print does.  (I suspect the 1st print doesn't have the 1969 copyright?)

50Cent #II (1st print)

I've done some measurements and this is what I've found.

The #4's that I suspect might be 1st prints have cover paper thickness ranging from .096-.110mm with the most common about .099mm (average?).
The other copies have thinner covers and range from .088-.093mm with the most common being .089mm (average?).

50Cent #II (1st print)

OK, so my measurements coincide with Donahue's info. that the top staple placement is 2 5/16 inches from the top edge of the book for all the thicker covers and have been informed by other sources that the 1st print of #4 doesn't have a thick cover stock like #2 and 3, but only a slightly thicker cover than the 2nd print.  So Donahue's info. is correct, all 9 copies I have that have the thicker covers also have the top staples the exact same on each at about 2 1/3" down. Also have to compare 19 second prints and one third print with .50 cent cover price and inside front cover copyright.

ProJunior

Quote from: 50Cent #II (1st print) on May 15, 2008, 01:26:35 AM
Anyone actually own a 1st print of Zap Comix #4?
Yep, I do (AFAIK, anyway).
Quote(I suspect the 1st print doesn't have the 1969 copyright?)
That's correct:  no copyright whatsoever on the 1st.

-Projunior
Are we part of the moral potential being made complete on the pitchfork of Elmer Fudd?
- Chuck Moulton

Brother J

I have one copy of Zap #4 (1st) and two copies of the 2nd. Nice discovery of the 3rd print with the added copyright info. Don always mentioned the staple placement in his auctions for Zap #4, so I always took that for gospel.

50Cent #II (1st print)

Thanks, thought it was a new discovery also not being in the JK, but when I opened the FUG is was listed there.