How old and how long have you been collecting Undergrounds?

Started by Visitor Q, December 05, 2007, 04:08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Visitor Q

So how old is everyone and how long have you been collecting underground comix?

No, I'm not the police... Just curious.  :thebirdman:

Jason
"Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

Brother J

I think I answered this one already, 36 years old. Haven't been collecting all that long, probably less than 5 years, not sure.

Visitor Q

I'm 33 and have been collecting since the late 80's but that's comic books in general. I guess it was not too long till I discovered Undergrounds, a few years after I started collecting I would have to guess.

My first love was Mad, Cracked and Crazy.

Jason
"Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

Sir Real

My site kinda explains that question, but for you youngsters I'll highlight & paraphrase.

I guess I'd call myself a third generation collector.  I saw the first generation, and read a few in the second generation.  I'm 51 (as of today), and I actively started collecting in 1977.  Stopped collecting in '84, and started again in '90.

Timeo Hominem Unius Libri

awillis

Was never much of a collector, myself, as in taking good care of what I purchased. I just tended to hoard what I bought. 52 years- started hoarding in the early '60's. My religious step-mother always threw away my Comics Code comics and my Mad and CARtoons magazines, so I had to keep them hidden away in a secretive hoards. She got most of them, though. Started buying UG's in the early '70's. Bought them to see what we could get away with while drawing and publishing our own. Stood at the Crossroads in 1976.
Read Lost Cause Comix-
"Underground at it's Deepest"

dr_s

I am 108 years old and have been collecting them since Dell Dick Tracy 7. I started collecting Ugs when the Realist was in issue 10 or 11 and Help 1 came out. While I divested of most of my normal comics (Donald Duck, Spidey, etc) I just keep getting them god damm ugs.

Brother J

Quote from: Ultimo Mondo Bizarro on December 05, 2007, 05:05:59 PM
I'm 33 and have been collecting since the late 80's but that's comic books in general. I guess it was not too long till I discovered Undergrounds, a few years after I started collecting I would have to guess.

My first love was Mad, Cracked and Crazy.

Jason

I've been collecting comics since the early 80's, the less than five years was just for undergrounds specifically. (just to clarify)

50Cent #II (1st print)

I started collecting comics around 1984 until around 1988.  My younger brother took over my collection for a year or two then it went into the closet where I pulled the approx. 12 long boxes out around Nov. of last year.  Started collecting Undergrounds about this time last year, so I would say this is about my 1 year anniversary.
By the way Sir Real, if it's your birthday, then Happy Birthday!!!

pupirse

i´m 30 years old and started  collecting comic books with 15.
then i found zap 1, skull 3, and young lust 1 at the secret closet of my father when i was about 16 or 17 ... covert between spider-man and silver surfer.
after this i tryed to find undergrounds in germany... not very easy..
nor we got the internet.... thanx

Visitor Q

over40artist

I am over 40.... Okay, 48 to be specific. But don't expect me to change my handle when I turn 50. After all, when I'm 108 like Dr. S, I'll still be over 40!

I've been collecting comics since about 1975 and bought my first Young Lust #1 in 1977. I collected comics and periodicals on and off for the next 28 years (especially Mad, National Lampoon and Heavy Metal). But I didn't get serious about UG collecting until March, 2005 (according to my database), when I bought Psychotic Adventures #3. I joined the CPG forum the next month and bought 400 more undergrounds by the end of that year. And 4,000 comix since then.

Glad to see there are people under 40 who are passionate about the hobby.

Visitor Q

Scheiman's like 60 I think but when I talk to him you'd swear he was 10 times under.

Jason

over40artist

Side note: My kids (son and daughter, 11 and 8) know I collect comic books, but they don't yet know what kind of comic books. They've only shown a passing interest in comics in any form (besides cartoons). I sometimes wonder whether they will ever get into comic books or, for my son, into undergrounds. I tend to doubt it. Unless maybe my son's interest suddenly grows well after adulthood.

Dr. S, didn't you mention once that your kids have little interest in your collection? And yet, aren't you planning to pass the bulk of your "permanent" collection on to your kids? Does it bother you that they will probably liquidate it after your death or is that fine with you?

Just curious, as I may be in the same boat. Unless I cash out my collection to help finance my own retirement.

over40artist

Ha ha, my daughter's age (eight) turned into a smiley!

dr_s

As long as they sell it for what it's worth. They know the key players Dolgoff, Fogel, Geppi, Albert Moy, etc and I have a catalog of value. And then there is  eBay and Heritage. I get to enjoy my compulsions and they get an inheritance.