50CentII's look what I won thread...

Started by 50Cent #II (1st print), January 03, 2008, 03:34:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

50Cent #II (1st print)

Contains a Gilbert Shelton piece on the inside front cover...

dr_s

Someone had multiple sets of them up a year ago. One of them, I'm on vacation right now so  don;t kow which, has p\roginal Corben. Check the Corben site if you want to know more.

50Cent #II (1st print)

#1 (1963)  This has to be one of the early connections to UnderGround Comix, it's one of the earliest appearances to Shelton's Wonder Wart-Hog, having only appeared in 2 issues of Bacchanal (Mar. & April 1962) and at least 8 issues of Texas Ranger starting in Dec. 1961 or Mar. 1962, depending on reference (anybody have issues of Texas Ranger to verify if the first Wonder Wart-Hog appeared in Dec. 1961? per Harvey's Art of the Comic Book (p. 211) and may have appeared in 1 or 2 issues of Help! (Nov. 1962 & May 1963) before Charlatan.  But Charlatan was supposed to be the first appearance for Wonder Wart-Hog according to Frank Stack's interview with Gilbert Shelton in TCJ #187.  Also, anyone know what issue was the God Nose cover, or at least what year that was?

Reverend

I think the issue with the God Nose cover is from 1966, but I can't be sure right now.

oldmilwaukee6er

Here is a good source for information about WWH that can help your research IIT...
The Wonder Wart-Hog Bibliography

50Cent #II (1st print)

Yeah, I saw that site.  Thillaj checked his issues and stated that the Sept. 1962 issue of TR was the 1st TR appearance, but that site specifically states March. 1962 as the first TR with Wonder Wart-Hog.

Texas Ranger Mar 1962, "WW meets Super-Fool" (repr in Help! Nov62, Underground Classics WW Vol 2, Best of WW Vol. 2)

Texas Ranger Sept 1962, "WW meets Super-Hypnotist" (repr in Help! Feb 64, HOS 2, , Best of WW Vol. 1)

50Cent #II (1st print)

Anyone know if the first U.K. print is a .50p version?  Won this one for $6...

Reverend

You have to do some searching on the message boards. I know I posted about the first British printing of FB #1 and #2 somewhere. But, to answer your question, no, that's a third printing of #1. 40p and 45p preceded it.

Reverend

Alright, I saved you some time and searched for it myself. I answered your question a long while back on the other board and even uploaded scans of the HFP 1sts of FB #1 and #2 on this page: http://www.comicspriceguide.com/forum2/topic.asp?whichpage=6&TOPIC_ID=37118&;

jaylynch

The very first issue of Charlatan was in l959 or 60.  Killeen published the first issue out of Stilwater, Oklahoma.  When he moved to Talahassee in '63, he revived the magazine and started the numbering system over...So The Stilwater Charlatan has #1 on the cover...and so does the first Tallahassee Charlatan.  Wonder Warthog was in the Stilwater Charlatan in '59 or '60.  The Stilwater Charlatan has a black cover with a silhouette of the Poddy character on it. 
In l963, Madamozelle magazine did a college issue which featured Wonder Warthog.
So by '63, The Warthog was well known on college campuses.   I showed either a Warthog strip that appeared in Esquire...or the one that appeared in Madamozelle to the then young radio talkshow host Larry King.  I suggested that King have Killeen on his show...On account of Charlatan was part of the whole free speech thing of that era.
Killeen did a Larry King radio interview in '63.  This was when Larry King did a local show in Miami.  I still have the Killeen interview on reel-to-reel tape somewhere. 
Larry King was hip then.  This was when he was in his late 20s and hadn't gotten into all that politics crap yet.
       I talked to Killeen a few years ago.  He's still in northern Florida.  He raises race horses now.

50Cent #II (1st print)

Quote from: jaylynch on January 14, 2008, 11:46:26 PM
The very first issue of Charlatan was in l959 or 60.  Killeen published the first issue out of Stilwater, Oklahoma.  When he moved to Talahassee in '63, he revived the magazine and started the numbering system over...So The Stilwater Charlatan has #1 on the cover...and so does the first Tallahassee Charlatan.  Wonder Warthog was in the Stilwater Charlatan in '59 or '60.  The Stilwater Charlatan has a black cover with a silhouette of the Poddy character on it. 
In l963, Madamozelle magazine did a college issue which featured Wonder Warthog.
So by '63, The Warthog was well known on college campuses.   I showed either a Warthog strip that appeared in Esquire...or the one that appeared in Madamozelle to the then young radio talkshow host Larry King.  I suggested that King have Killeen on his show...On account of Charlatan was part of the whole free speech thing of that era.
Killeen did a Larry King radio interview in '63.  This was when Larry King did a local show in Miami.  I still have the Killeen interview on reel-to-reel tape somewhere. 
Larry King was hip then.  This was when he was in his late 20s and hadn't gotten into all that politics crap yet.
       I talked to Killeen a few years ago.  He's still in northern Florida.  He raises race horses now.

I find this fascinating Jay, what you've added here is possibly something new to the UG history books that Rosenkranz, Ellis and Skinn didn't uncover in their books.  From everything I've read (which includes statements Shelton made) that Wonder Wart-Hog was first published in Bacchanal #1 (March, 1962).  But this new info. might predate the fanzine Wild, which would make to me, the earliest "directly related" Underground published work.  I thought from my reading that Bacchanal would be the first semi-professionally published work "directly related" to UnderGround and Wild fanzine (from 1959 and 1960) would be the first self-published "directly related" to UnderGround work and Vauhn Bode "Das Kampf" being the first UnderGround.  This is just my opinion though...
Rosenkranz suggests that it might be Rick Griffins early surfer art, but the earliest item he's listed is a 1960 item "Surfers Annual" by Greg Noll, but Wild and this new earlier Charlatan would predate that.

50Cent #II (1st print)

Funny, but just rereading Skinn's book Comix on Wonder Wart-Hog and I see that he's got  the known order correct on page 18 (Bacchanal 1962), but then changes it on page 34 (Texas Ranger 1961), someone didn't do their work so well...

Also, I'm confused...
Did Rick Griffin die in 1991 or not?
http://www.hollowbastion.org/griffin/
I'm kidding, it' looks like some artist has taken the same name....

jaylynch

The Austin based Keg and Lyke mags contained Shelton's stuff in '59.  The paperback book titled Sick Jokes and it's sequel More Sick Jokes reprints some of Gilbert's Texas Ranger cartoons...and didn't the book Sick Jokes come out in '59?
     The Dez Skinn book is full of inaccuracies.  Rosenkranz's books are pretty acurate, though.  The first Warthog strip was written by Killeen and drawn by Shelton.  I think that that is the ONLY warthog strip Killeen ever wrote.  So whatever Charlatan contains that...That would be the first one.  But then again, Killeen mighta reprinted it in '63 when he started publishing the mag in Talahassee.  And even before the Stilwater Charlatan....Killeen might have originally printed the first Warthog strip in Texas Ranger when he did that mag with Shelton when they were in college.

50Cent #II (1st print)

Yes, the info. is confusing.  I also read that Killeen wrote what was supposed to be the first Wonder Wart-Hog story that appeared in the first Charlatan, but it ended up being printed in 1963.  But on the Wonder Wart-Hog biography website it states that this is the same story that appeared in the earlier Bacchanal...

From the website:

Bacchanal #1 (Mar. 1962) "Fearless, Fighting, Foulmouthed Wonder Wart-Hog" repr in Best of WW Vol. 2)

Bacchanal #2 (Apr. 1962) Unknown WW story (probably Super-Fool)

Mademioselle (Aug 1962) Unknown WW story. (Although this is not a UT publication, this is referenced in the introduction to the Sept 1962 Texas Ranger introduction and is probably a reprint of one of the first stories from Bacchanal. More information is needed about this one.)

Texas Ranger (Sept 1962) "WW meets Super-Hypnotist" (repr in Help! Feb 64, HOS 2, , Best of WW Vol. 1)

Charlatan (unknown date in 1963) "Fearless, Fighting, Foulmouthed Wonder Wart-Hog" (same story as in Baccanal, but with different splash page.)