Fogel's Update, where is it?

Started by Visitor Q, February 15, 2008, 11:10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Visitor Q

Quote from: over40artist on March 06, 2008, 10:04:32 PM
Man, that sucks. Oh, well, it is what it is. I'm just glad he hasn't thrown in the towel on the whole thing.

I agree... I appericate his efforts.

Anyone bother to ask why or what is causing the delay?

Jason

Jason
"Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

bdcues

Lack of money mostly to pay for printing I believe. He is having them printed thru Diamond

Visitor Q

Well I advanced him cash for 2 copies. =]

Jason
"Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

over40artist

After this update, the question is will he stick with his original plans and publish future editions? He's going to have even fewer sales in subsequent editions, because some collectors will be satisfied just having the first two. Unless the number of UG collectors suddenly swells....

He should take the business online as a subscriber service for $40-$50 a year.

Reverend

If it's taken this long for a supplement, imagine how long it would take for a second full guide? Years.

bdcues

Supposedly, Kennedys brother did a lot of the work on Jay's guide and it took a long time to complete and they never did another. The odds of Fogul doing another full guide would seem slim. Might help if he could talk the publishers into contacting him everytime they printed something so that he didn't have to do all the leg work.

Reverend

Unlike Kennedy's guide, which was much more of a reference guide, Fogel's is basically a price guide, which would mean updating the prices on all of the comics currently in it, as well as adding new ones. Not an easy task.

Rick Bradford

Quote from: over40artist on March 06, 2008, 10:04:32 PM
Man, that sucks. Oh, well, it is what it is. I'm just glad he hasn't thrown in the towel on the whole thing.

Agreed on both counts. Oh well, expecting the Supplement to come out months ago got me to get my site relaunched sooner than it probably would've been...

I think the online subscription idea is a good one, although there'd probably still have to be some kind of print option (for example, for dealers to have at shows, in stores, etc.).
www.poopsheetfoundation.com
mini-comix history, cover galleries, forums, more

over40artist

Quote from: Reverend on March 08, 2008, 12:57:49 AM
Unlike Kennedy's guide, which was much more of a reference guide, Fogel's is basically a price guide, which would mean updating the prices on all of the comics currently in it, as well as adding new ones. Not an easy task.

Yeah, and Kennedy's guide had pretty much covered the classic UG era, so there was not all that much motivation to update it, unless they really focused on the price guide aspect of it, in which case you could go for 5 or 10 years between editions, since prices didn't really move that much back then.

Whereas today, we are seeing more price movement and Fogel's price guide should come out at least every two years to keep pace. I'd be tickled to see a new, full edition every two or even three years. As you said, the task is not an easy one.

over40artist

Quote from: Rick Bradford on March 08, 2008, 05:08:37 PM
I think the online subscription idea is a good one, although there'd probably still have to be some kind of print option (for example, for dealers to have at shows, in stores, etc.).

Maybe there could be a PDF edition available online, even if it looked very much like an Excel database that had been printed out.

dr_s

I hate to disagree. But, I was there and is a minor way helped finance the Kennedy huide. Jay and Jerry came to my apartment and sold us $3k from Jerry's stash of undergrounds. About 30 of a title  that came to $3 or $5 a book. We  discussed the future of the guide and the pricing. Without going into details, no mater what the scholarly result was, it was a price guide. The was the intent. That and to make money and stir up the market.  It did not do well in sales, which delayed a sequel. However every ug person in NYC tried to back Jay and get a second guide out. It was never the lack of funding that kept it from going out. It was the joke of the town. The guide would come out soon. But for whatever reasons, Jay never did it. Jerry finally put out his sort of guide and pissed off Jay. But, Jay still didn't do it.

Visitor Q

50Cent #II (1st print)

Just got a e-mail from Dan this morning, he didn't mention the supplement but I assume it's still scheduled for SDCC release.

Visitor Q

ProJunior

Quote from: Visitor Q on February 15, 2008, 11:10:36 AM
Last time I spoke to Dan he said it would be out in November.
Any got any info. without me picking up the phone?

Well, I actually DID pick up the phone a few weeks ago & called Hippy Comix & they told me that it's due out this July, over 6 months late.  Last I checked their website was still saying last fall & the guy admitted to me that they hadn't updated it yet.  Let's hope the NEW date is valid!  <g> :01_bounce:
Are we part of the moral potential being made complete on the pitchfork of Elmer Fudd?
- Chuck Moulton