FNBK #7 (Obscure Obscene)

Started by 50Cent #II (1st print), May 07, 2008, 06:04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

50Cent #II (1st print)

I've got a mini in the Snatch tradition here (with an S. Clay Wilson page) and others by artist's Brad Foster and dcr.  It's issue #7 from June 1986 with a $1.25 back cover price called FNBK #7 (I think the subtitle is Obscure Obscene).  Couldn't find anything on this series.  Anyone know anything?  It's by Obscure Publications in Long Beach, CA.  Has a brown paper wrapper and pink paper guts on heavy stock with black ink.

50Cent #II (1st print)

Some scans, anyone know anything about this series? FNBK

Reverend

That's new to me. It looks like the brown paper cover was glued on at one point in time. I'd love to see the other issues.

Any chance that you can scan the Wilson page?

50Cent #II (1st print)

Here you go, a scan of pages 2 and 3.
Yes, the brown cover was once glued in but the glue they used seemed to not be effective over time.  There is also a 4 page foldout centerfold.

50Cent #II (1st print)

4 page fold-out centerfold by Johnny Zipper?

This looks like such a neat series, I curious why I can't find any references or info. listed?  Was this so rare and "obscure"? :evil6:

Reverend

That Wilson page is disgustingly wonderful! If this is any indication of the rest of the series, I want them. Thanks for adding to my want list.

50Cent #II (1st print)

Yep, me too.  Wonder how many were in this series (more than 7?).  Wish the address wasn't a P.O. Box, then there is more of a chance of tracking down some info. in Long Beach, not far from me.

Reverend

I had never heard of Ann Howe before (as per the indicia), so I Googled her and found this:

Strange Rampage (1967)

Miss Anne Howe and her amazing 48-inchers and Bunny Ware are the stars of this perverse potboiler presenting sex-seeking secretaries, schoolteachers and go-go dancers who go to great lengths to degrade themselves, then go after men of all sorts in the evening hours.

50Cent #II (1st print)

From imdb.com

"A psychoanalyst discusses a new phenomenon in urban America: women driven mad by loneliness. He gives us four case studies, women he has treated. Elaine, 24, a secretary, and Janis, 24, a teacher, separately find a brochure about vacations in Miami Beach. What looks like a wild time of partying and dissolution becomes even more bizarre. Ann seems well-adjusted but complains of nonexistent rashes that lead to her showing lots of skin to strangers. The doctor fears for her arrest, so he comes up with an ingenious solution. Sally is his strangest patient: she wants such perfection in a man that she ends up with a Fiberglas mannequin. She requires the doctor's most personal cure.  Written by {[email protected]}"

Looks like she was in another movie in 1964 called The Lullaby of Bareland and perhaps could it be the same "Sally" Ann Howe in the 1968 Chitty Chitty Bang Bang?

50Cent #II (1st print)

I was able to find this on the .net.  Looks like they produced another series called Obscure #1 (1984) & 1 1/2 (Summer 1985) by "Dave" d.c. roberts & steve craft.

Obscure. -- E. Long Beach, CA : Obscure Publications, . --
   ill. ; 22 cm. -- "Use with adequate ventilation." --
   LIBRARY HAS: no. 1 1/2 (Summer 1985)
   1. New wave comics. Call no.: PN6728.55.O2O2

50Cent #II (1st print)

now that I know who dcr is...

This is FANTASTIC!
http://homepage.mac.com/monsterzero/iMovieTheater14.html

Something else by d.c. roberts:
http://dcroberts.com/Animation/flashtheaterPOOP.htm

50Cent #II (1st print)

Well, just picked up a copy of Obscure #1 (1984) and I'll post scans when it arrives.

Reverend

Did you get that from Slippy Town?

50Cent #II (1st print)

Yep, even though his site is down, his e-mail works.  He lives not too far from me it seems.  Looks like he's the lead singer of some band that's been around for a while also.

Reverend

I bought a few oddities from him in the past, though he was very slow to ship them out.