Underground Horror Comix

Started by Visitor Q, June 18, 2008, 10:07:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Visitor Q

Can anyone recommend some good underground comix that are horror related other than Slow Death and Skull?

Thanks.
Jason
"Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

Reverend

Fantagor has some elements of horror.

Are we talking about '70s era stuff here? Death Rattle is an '80s title that springs to mind.

Visitor Q

Yeah... 70s and early 80s please.

Ok, yeah I got all of those, both the Fanta and Death Rattle series.

Others?

Jason
"Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

Reverend

Barn of Fear just popped into my head.

There's also PC's Twisted Tales, which Mile High has quite a few of in stock. I suppose calling PC underground is a stretch, but hey, they're in the same vein!

Reverend

Oh! Here's one of my personal favorites . . . The Boogins! This was an early-to-mid '80s horror anthology out of Denver with some truly amazing art. Each issue was limited to 500-1,000 copies and hand-numbered. There were eight issues in all. Sadly, I don't have a complete set myself.

Mile High has a copies of #2 and #3 (albeit lesser grade copies) for a STEAL. If you don't have these, you might want to check them out.

Reverend

Pastime Publications (The Monday Funnies, Portland Underground Comix) also put out two horror comics in 1983, Shocking Fear #1 and #2. You can sometimes find these on eBay. Mile High used to have them. I'm at work, so I can't post my scans, which explains the following:

Visitor Q

Quote from: Reverend on June 18, 2008, 10:18:50 AM
Barn of Fear just popped into my head.

There's also PC's Twisted Tales, which Mile High has quite a few of in stock. I suppose calling PC underground is a stretch, but hey, they're in the same vein!

Barn of Fear I have.

Not much for the Twisted Tales.

Jason

Visitor Q

Quote from: Reverend on June 18, 2008, 10:25:54 AM
Oh! I almost forgot one of my personal favorites . . . The Boogins! This was an early-to-mid '80s horror anthology out of Denver with some truly amazing art. Each issue was limited to 500-1,000 copies and hand-numbered. There were eight issues in all. Sadly, I don't have a complete set myself.

Mile High has a copies of #2 and #3 (albeit lesser grade copies) for a STEAL. If you don't have these, you might want to check them out.

Never saw these before, hows the inside?

Jason

Visitor Q

Quote from: Reverend on June 18, 2008, 10:33:38 AM
Pastime Publications (The Monday Funnies, Portland Underground Comix) also put out two horror comics in 1983, Shocking Fear #1 and #2. You can sometimes find these on eBay. Mile High used to have them. I'm at work, so I can't post my scans, which explains the following:

Don't have those but they look pretty cool.

Jason

oldmilwaukee6er

Armpit of Fear, The (EC cover parody; 8 pg. mini)
Bicentennial Gross Outs   ("What me worry?" cover; Stories in the EC tradition)
Bogeyman 1-3 "Horror in a blood vein"; Comix in the EC tradition
Corporate Crime Comics 1-2 True crime tales in the EC tradition
Insect Fear 1-3   "Tales from the behavioral sink"; Comix in the EC tradition
Nickel Library Series (some EC homage covers)
Tales from the Fridge 1 (EC horror cover parody)
Thrilling Murder Comics   1 (Horror and crime stories in the EC tradition)
Two-Fisted Zombies (All New Underground Comix #5)

oldmilwaukee6er

what about getting into GD/VG ECs as UG horror precursors?  i see a fair amount of afford-ability in many low-grade ECs.

50Cent #II (1st print)

I love the PC Twisted Tales and Alien Worlds series myself.

What about Skull Killer?

Visitor Q

Quote from: oldmilwaukee6er on June 18, 2008, 11:19:45 AM
Armpit of Fear, The (EC cover parody; 8 pg. mini)
Bicentennial Gross Outs   ("What me worry?" cover; Stories in the EC tradition)
Bogeyman 1-3 "Horror in a blood vein"; Comix in the EC tradition
Corporate Crime Comics 1-2 True crime tales in the EC tradition
Insect Fear 1-3   "Tales from the behavioral sink"; Comix in the EC tradition
Nickel Library Series (some EC homage covers)
Tales from the Fridge 1 (EC horror cover parody)
Thrilling Murder Comics   1 (Horror and crime stories in the EC tradition)
Two-Fisted Zombies (All New Underground Comix #5)

Bicentennial Gross Outs & Corporate Crime Comics don't really seem horror related to me but I guess I would have to view them again... At anyrate, I got all those.

As far as the EC stuff goes, I think I would rather start a Creepy collection than anything. How much to fine issues of that go for and how hard are they to find? Would not mind buying a lot of them...

Jason

Reverend

You should be able to get a lot of later issues of Creepy on eBay for between $5-15 each. I used to collect that and Eerie when I was younger. They have some amazing covers. I'd have to say Creepy #4 is one of my all-time favorites.

Visitor Q

Quote from: Reverend on June 18, 2008, 11:58:50 AM
You should be able to get a lot of later issues of Creepy on eBay for between $5-15 each. I used to collect that and Eerie when I was younger. They have some amazing covers. I'd have to say Creepy #4 is one of my all-time favorites.

Do you still have them?

Jason